Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License plate woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
from texas, never had a front license plate, never had an issue (even though technically required)...come to CA for 100 days, get stopped 4 times already...my goodness, upon my observation, 75% of nice cars have no front plates, and some have no back plates!!!! or generic back plates. not sure if im having back luck or not. i know its the law, blah blah, but just seeing how some of you guys do it. TONS of teslas here with no front plate.

anyway, i got a ticket while parked at a meter --aghh....need to someone put a temporary plate on the front to show the police to get ticket reduced. any options i should consider without drilling holes into the front nose?

thanks in advance

from texas, never had a front license plate, never had an issue (even though technically required)...come to CA for 100 days, get stopped 4 times already...my goodness, upon my observation, 75% of nice cars have no front plates, and some have no back plates!!!! or generic back plates. not sure if im having back luck or not. i know its the law, blah blah, but just seeing how some of you guys do it. TONS of teslas here with no front plate.

anyway, i got a ticket while parked at a meter --aghh....need to someone put a temporary plate on the front to show the police to get ticket reduced. any options i should consider without drilling holes into the front nose?

thanks in advance
Probably because they see the out of state plate, I had a Jaguar XK8 and never put a front plate on and never got a ticket. Have had my Model X for 5 months and no front plate and no ticket so far.

from texas, never had a front license plate, never had an issue (even though technically required)...come to CA for 100 days, get stopped 4 times already...my goodness, upon my observation, 75% of nice cars have no front plates, and some have no back plates!!!!

Really bad luck. Most of my cars have never had front plates and I've never been pulled over. I've had fix it tickets for front plates (4 of them) over 30 years of driving.

when you say fix it tickets, does that mean putting the front plate on, showing the police, getting signed off, and reducing ticket price? how do you put the front plate on without drilling holes on the nose? or did you drill holes?

thanks in advance

All 4 of my cars in SoCal lack front license plates and it hasn't been a problem

thanks in advance

You don't say whether yours is a nosecone or refresh version. The nosecone has mounting bolt reinforcement points molded into the back side. The Tesla license plate holder has matching attachment points molded into it. I bought several disc type magnets online and bolted them to the holder and screwed matching ones onto the mounting points on the back of the nose cone. Now I can stick the plate on when I want it and remove it and stow it in the trunk the rest of the time. I don't think there is any way to access the back side of the refresh nose.

thanks in advance

What cities did you get the tickets for no front license plate? I heard Santa Monica and LAX area are famous of giving out no front plate tickets while park in public areas.

In NorCal, meter maids are the worst culprits for writing tickets for no front plate. When in SF I usually park in a garage, so no meter maid exposure. Elsewhere around the SF Bay Area, no issue when parked. To get a ticket from a cop on the road, I would have had to been doing something stupid to get pulled over, then the lack of front plate would be an add on if the cop is a jerk.

I do keep my front plate next to the front seat and throw it on the dash if I park in a spot where it may be an issue. Also, entering California, we go through an agriculture check. They wave you through if they see you are from California. Plate on the dash for that instance, too.

What cities did you get the tickets for no front license plate? I heard Santa Monica and LAX area are famous of giving out no front plate tickets while park in public areas.

i got the most recent ticket in west hollywood, one other time caught in beverly hills, once in hollywood, and once in beverly grove area. all three of times i wasnt doing anything stupid, no other ticket was given. just highly unlucky i guess. in 20 years of driving in texas with no front plate, never pulled over.