TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front License plate woes

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlucero, Dec 8, 2016.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

from texas, never had a front license plate, never had an issue (even though technically required)...come to CA for 100 days, get stopped 4 times already...my goodness, upon my observation, 75% of nice cars have no front plates, and some have no back plates!!!! or generic back plates. not sure if im having back luck or not. i know its the law, blah blah, but just seeing how some of you guys do it. TONS of teslas here with no front plate.

anyway, i got a ticket while parked at a meter --aghh....need to someone put a temporary plate on the front to show the police to get ticket reduced. any options i should consider without drilling holes into the front nose?

thanks in advance

2. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Probably because they see the out of state plate, I had a Jaguar XK8 and never put a front plate on and never got a ticket. Have had my Model X for 5 months and no front plate and no ticket so far.

3. NYEVDriver

NYEVDriver Member

I have a front plate on my Model S but installed "The Law" on my wife's Model X so I would have to drill holes in the front bumper. I detail my installation in the following video:

• Like x 1
  4. jlucero

jlucero Member

no i have a california plate on the back...

5. jlucero

jlucero Member

wow that looks nice---where did you get that?

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

Really bad luck. Most of my cars have never had front plates and I've never been pulled over. I've had fix it tickets for front plates (4 of them) over 30 years of driving.

7. jlucero

jlucero Member

when you say fix it tickets, does that mean putting the front plate on, showing the police, getting signed off, and reducing ticket price? how do you put the front plate on without drilling holes on the nose? or did you drill holes?

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

Yes, if you do that the $130 or whatever it is usually drops to $10. My next door neighbor is cop :)

9. NYEVDriver

NYEVDriver Member

10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

All 4 of my cars in SoCal lack front license plates and it hasn't been a problem

11. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

• Funny x 1
  12. jlucero

jlucero Member

Omg that is sick. ..how do you that?

13. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Cops pulls you over...
    COP: Where is your front license plate?
    Me: Hey look donuts....(push button) it's on the front of the car.
    COP: LAME

• Funny x 1
  14. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

They are available online from multiple manufacturers.

15. pdxrunr

pdxrunr Member

In Portland OR, the only real hassle is parking enforcement will write you up w/o a front plate if you are parked at a city meter. I store mine in the frunk with suction cups and apply it only when parked in that situation. Otherwise, never been pulled over just for no front plate.

Yet another (crazy) front plate solution

See post #4 for how it's done.

16. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

You don't say whether yours is a nosecone or refresh version. The nosecone has mounting bolt reinforcement points molded into the back side. The Tesla license plate holder has matching attachment points molded into it. I bought several disc type magnets online and bolted them to the holder and screwed matching ones onto the mounting points on the back of the nose cone. Now I can stick the plate on when I want it and remove it and stow it in the trunk the rest of the time. I don't think there is any way to access the back side of the refresh nose.

17. jlucero

jlucero Member

i do have a 2015 nosecone version...do you have pictures of what you did? i like your ideas!

18. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

What cities did you get the tickets for no front license plate? I heard Santa Monica and LAX area are famous of giving out no front plate tickets while park in public areas.

19. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

In NorCal, meter maids are the worst culprits for writing tickets for no front plate. When in SF I usually park in a garage, so no meter maid exposure. Elsewhere around the SF Bay Area, no issue when parked. To get a ticket from a cop on the road, I would have had to been doing something stupid to get pulled over, then the lack of front plate would be an add on if the cop is a jerk.

I do keep my front plate next to the front seat and throw it on the dash if I park in a spot where it may be an issue. Also, entering California, we go through an agriculture check. They wave you through if they see you are from California. Plate on the dash for that instance, too.

20. jlucero

jlucero Member

i got the most recent ticket in west hollywood, one other time caught in beverly hills, once in hollywood, and once in beverly grove area. all three of times i wasnt doing anything stupid, no other ticket was given. just highly unlucky i guess. in 20 years of driving in texas with no front plate, never pulled over.