Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been using a front license plate wrap on a model 3? Apparently it is sort of legal and it is a thing you can get from this company: Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento

I am wondering:
Does this work well?
Have people tried it?
Does it damage your paint?
Does it peel off?
Does it look good?
...View attachment 422001
It looks weird maybe because we are not used it it. I’d rather get the black and yellow license plate and put it up front if I have to put one on. I’m running no plate right now.

Back and yellow on red looks great!

FD5DB467-AC8F-492A-AF5D-9B154767C2A9.jpeg

Just got mine last week. Looks cleaner than a front plate. Lots of people roll without a front plate in CA (just like a lot of people roll with tinted front windows) and just hope to not get nailed on it. But I didn’t wanna tempt fate so I got it.

For placement, I used the front stick on license plate holder that came with the car as a guide. I put the sticker about where the real plate would be if I mounted it to that, and I don’t think I have any sensor problems.

I think it’s ideal for the Model 3 because there’s enough space on the nose cone for it to be relatively flat, instead of the top part going over a sharp bend like in some of the photos.

The way it sits on my car I think someone would have to look closely to realize it’s not a real plate, especially if I were driving by. It’s virtually identical to the real plate in size and look.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
Unless DMV says these are legal replacements to the official plates they issue, I’m gonna assume they’re not. Looks cool though.
Yes, I applied for the license plate wrap from Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento and before it came, I got a letter from Calif DMV saying it was completely legal but we still have to carry the unused plate in the car, along with the approval letter.

Great plate! I just got mine and they say to review the placement guidelines in the Owner's Manual, so it doesn't interfere with the sensors. Do I have to worry about anything other than not putting it over the sensor? I can't find it in the Owner's Manual. I do a Search (thanks to a recent update!) and Front License Plate comes up but when I touch it, nothing happens. Do you have the placement guidelines?

I wonder if the language on that letter - that refers to the ODD idea of carring that junk scrap piece of metal with you, bumping around in the car interior somewhere - really means that if the front one gets ripped off or stolen or defaced, that you can have a 'quick' way to put another valid one back. if you are ok with driving without one for the short duration it takes to go from where you parked (where the theft of front sticker happened) to where you stored your real metal front plate - that's your risk window, so to speak.

it just seems absurd to have to carry that, as a *requirement*. I see their intention, but I question the absolute need to have microsecond max latency between theft and replacement of a front. afertall, with a metal front, if that is stolen, its weeks or more before they send you another one.

IANAL, but that seems odd to me. I like the sticker - may get one - but totally laugh at carrying the metal front 'just in case'. absurd.

oh, and by forcing you to carry that actual letter - it also 'reminds' any helpful peace officer that you also 'need' that scrap metal junk with you, too. so, you could be cited for not having that, I guess, if they want to make trouble for you.

in some ways, it attracts attention and that's actually a Bad Thing(tm).

I wonder if the language on that letter - that refers to the ODD idea of carring that junk scrap piece of metal with you, bumping around in the car interior somewhere - really means that if the front one gets ripped off or stolen or defaced, that you can have a 'quick' way to put another valid one back. if you are ok with driving without one for the short duration it takes to go from where you parked (where the theft of front sticker happened) to where you stored your real metal front plate - that's your risk window, so to speak.

it just seems absurd to have to carry that, as a *requirement*. I see their intention, but I question the absolute need to have microsecond max latency between theft and replacement of a front. afertall, with a metal front, if that is stolen, its weeks or more before they send you another one.

IANAL, but that seems odd to me. I like the sticker - may get one - but totally laugh at carrying the metal front 'just in case'. absurd.

oh, and by forcing you to carry that actual letter - it also 'reminds' any helpful peace officer that you also 'need' that scrap metal junk with you, too. so, you could be cited for not having that, I guess, if they want to make trouble for you.

in some ways, it attracts attention and that's actually a Bad Thing(tm).
The spare license plate takes up almost zero space in my trunk. Literally. And I have it in case some bored cop asks me to produce it.

Reactions: FlyErik