Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great plate! I just got mine and they say to review the placement guidelines in the Owner's Manual, so it doesn't interfere with the sensors. Do I have to worry about anything other than not putting it over the sensor? I can't find it in the Owner's Manual. I do a Search (thanks to a recent update!) and Front License Plate comes up but when I touch it, nothing happens. Do you have the placement guidelines?

Late reply and I'm sure you've installed already. But if you place it lower center where a normal plate would be installed you should be fine. There's another radar behind the bumper in addition to the sonar sensors you don't want to stick it over but it's higher up and to the side

Reactions: lUtriaNt
When placing the license plate wrap, I used the front plate holder that came with the car as a guide. I placed the wrap in the same position that a real plate would be in that holder. This puts it in the curve of the front end. However, if you try to move it higher where the front end is flatter, you will probably screw up your autopilot because of the sensor that’s in the nose.

Reactions: Pho3k
Installed mine in February after SFO airport police seeking revenue ticketed me while it was parked for not having a front plate.... o_O
I spent a lot of time getting it placed just right - including using painter's tape to attach it and go for a quick 3-4 mile drive while using Autopilot to ensure it didn't seem to create any issues. The placement seemed right, so I went ahead and measured it again before peeling the backing off and applying it (using the wet method). Squeegeed the excess solution off and got rid of bubbles carefully and it looks GREAT! I've had zero issues with Autopilot, and I have the DMV letter in the glove compartment in case I'm stopped and asked about it, as well as keeping the actual front metal plate in the lower rear trunk (as stated in letter, this is required), so that it's in the vehicle to be shown to police if needed.
I'm extremely happy with the front plate and think it looks infinitely better than any bracket I've seen on the many Model 3s I've seen on the roads. For an extra $50 it really is worth the installation to get that aesthetic.
Pics attached.
IMG_20200322_152517-01.jpeg IMG_20200322_152506-01.jpeg IMG_20200322_151622-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed mine in February after SFO airport police seeking revenue ticketed me while it was parked for not having a front plate.... o_O
I spent a lot of time getting it placed just right - including using painter's tape to attach it and go for a quick 3-4 mile drive while using Autopilot to ensure it didn't seem to create any issues. The placement seemed right, so I went ahead and measured it again before peeling the backing off and applying it (using the wet method).

I've had zero issues with Autopilot, and I have the DMV letter in the glove compartment in case I'm stopped and asked about it, as well as keeping the actual front metal plate in the lower rear trunk (as stated in letter, this is required), so that it's in the vehicle to be shown to police if needed.

My sticker plate arrived 3 weeks ago and one real plate went back to the DMV for replacement since it was mangled while on the old car. I still am waiting for the letter from the DMV.

After reading this post, I placed and taped the sticker plate then did a test drive. Everything worked so I left the top tape in place to use as a hinge and peeled the paper off little by little from the bottom working up to get out the bubbles.

When pulling the car into my garage I no longer get the warning chimes that I am pulling too close my tool bench like I did before. So I wonder if I covered something up? Anyone else with sticker plates see close-in obstruction behavior change?

Last edited:
My sticker plate arrived 3 weeks ago and one real plate went back to the DMV for replacement since it was mangled while on the old car. I still am waiting for the letter from the DMV.

After reading this post, I placed and taped the sticker plate then did a test drive. Everything worked so I left the top tape in place to use as a hinge and peeled the paper off little by little from the bottom working up to get out the bubbles.

When pulling the car into my garage I no longer get the warning chimes that I am pulling too close my tool bench like I did before. So I wonder if I covered something up? Anyone else with sticker plates see close-in obstruction behavior change?
Maybe you turned off the chime, there’s a speaker icon left side of screen where you would see the inches. You can X that to turn it off.

You should of got the DMV paperwork before the plate, I have mine dead center with no issues or radar blockage.

On the Model Y, I had to remove it and then install the replacement a lot lower.

Fred

Maybe you turned off the chime, there’s a speaker icon left side of screen where you would see the inches. You can X that to turn it off.

You should of got the DMV paperwork before the plate, I have mine dead center with no issues or radar blockage.

On the Model Y, I had to remove it and then install the replacement a lot lower.

Fred

I have it placed exactly like this photo from a previous post -- can't go any lower. The obstacle distance used to show above the image of the vehicle along with the chime. I don't see that either. I pulled the car out of the garage and carefully peeled off the plate. I then tried to park again and still no distance or chime. So perhaps something else? I put the plate back on.

No DMV paperwork as of yet.

IMG_20200322_151622-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I have mine dead center with no issues or radar blockage.

Fred

I wonder if placing the plate blew out the front looking radar? No error messages of any kind and it’s very strange that removing the plate did not bring back the functionality. Can you send a photo of where you had to locate the bottom edge?

License Plate Wraps said that the DMV mailed my letter on September 25.

I dont use the front proximity sensor because I back into the garage. But this time I will tape the new wrap to the lower part of the bumper like you have it and try it out first before removing the backing and sealing it to the bumper. Will try the front proximity sensor at that time.

Fred

I dont use the front proximity sensor because I back into the garage. But this time I will tape the new wrap to the lower part of the bumper like you have it and try it out first before removing the backing and sealing it to the bumper. Will try the front proximity sensor at that time.

Fred
Thanks. You may be able to move it left and right to clear it as long as you don’t cover the ultrasonics. I’ve seen plenty of cars that have their license plate frames well off center.

This is where I placed my plate, and don’t have any issues with the front sensors. Use them all the time when parking in the garage.

View attachment 596981

Awesome Thanks! They shipped the replacement plate today, and that’s exactly where I will place it.

That helps a lot.

Gotta be my PPF wrap on the ultrasonics then. Probably after it cured. I’ll contact the wrapping place to have them cut out the sensors.

How much did they charge you for the replacement plate?