Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front lights turning yellow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes I'd be so upset if this happened to my car.Don't think I'd accept no for an answer when it is clearly a defect.

What causes this? UV exposure due to sunshine?

Should we drive the car only at night? :Do_O
It worked for Tesla as the excuse of screens turning yellow, and arbitrators bought it, so why would it not work for headlights which are even more exposed to sunlight and oxygen? It also doesn't stop the car from rolling, so not as Tesla would say "it does not affect the car's functionality".

Does anyone else have this problem? Tesla fixed them once already under warranty and now they are yellow again. Tesla quoted me $3000 to get them replaced now.

They said they don't have this problem with other customers, not sure why I'm the lucky one.

Excuse the dirty car, it just rained.

uQTDKI9.jpg

SXqGqp7.jpg
My 12-17 MS75D has had at least two replacements for dead DRL in 2.5 years. I'd say it's common.

Why would you make such a claim? No panel is required to be removed to replace the headlamp—only the bumper cover. I know because I watched mine being replaced.

Because it happened to my Model S? I would have loved to have been able to watch the procedure, but they directed me to the service lounge. I had bought my laptop with me and had work to do, so I did not fight it.

I wish I had noticed the alignment issue when I was picking up my car after service, I would have asked them to address it right then, along with the wheel caps that were bent up from my tire installation. But I did not notice it till the next day at home.

I've had both headlights replaced at the SC. Then a few months later had a ranger come out to replace the passenger side. After he replaced it he stepped back and said you may want to put in for the driver side, its not as white as this new one. I haven't bothered becuase its not too bad but you better believe I will before my warranty is up.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
Why would you make such a claim? No panel is required to be removed to replace the headlamp—only the bumper cover. I know because I watched mine being replaced.

He's 100% correct. They messed up my panel quarter panel to bumper alignment too. Had to take it back to get fixed but it's still not as good as it was after a few headlight swaps.

I've had three replace on my mid-2016 MS90D. Both sides at about 2.5 years and then again the passenger side right before my warranty expired last Sept at 49,000 miles.
The $3000 cost to replace ... is that per light of for a set of two? I hadn't heard a cost for a while, but prior was about $1300ish each, so the $3000 wouldn't surprise me if you're doing both, but not if only doing 1.

As for the actual failure, my understanding is it is not the LED that actually fails. The design is not a continuous strip of LEDs, but a light tube with LEDs at one end. The tube supposedly breaks down, crack, which is what causes the discoloration initially and then it gradually going out from the inboard corner. I've never heard a good explanation of it being due to temperature or some other environmental factor versus material quality variations that cause some to go out much faster than others.

He's 100% correct. They messed up my panel quarter panel to bumper alignment too. Had to take it back to get fixed but it's still not as good as it was after a few headlight swaps.

Absolutely. When a mobile ranger swapped my headlights for this same DRL issue, he messed up the bumper alignment and the hood alignment with one of the lights. Haven't noticed then so I had to wait another few weeks for him to come out and fix it. He just muscled some points, re-torqued screws and that's it. It's better but nowhere near perfect fit.

Does anyone else have this problem? Tesla fixed them once already under warranty and now they are yellow again. Tesla quoted me $3000 to get them replaced now.

They said they don't have this problem with other customers, not sure why I'm the lucky one.

Well this may not help you at this point, but for others who still have nice clear lenses, go and get clear uv wrap placed over them. Your headlights will last at least 10 years or more if your one of the few who park your car inside most of the time.

My point is, clear wrap stops yellowing from happening. I need to do this for all my cars and not just the tesla.

@Gary and Rachel - The issue appears due to a cracking failure of a light tube internal to the assembly. It's not due to yellowing of the lens. I doubt that a clear wrap on the lens will help. In fact, I've seen report from one owner that had a clear wrap on his and failed same as all the others I see people reporting.