Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Motor Noise At Speeds around 50mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't looked at the forums in a while but have been considering a Model X and came across this thread. I had a new 2016 facelift Model S 90D that had exactly this motor whine problem at a constant 30-45 mph range. Became intolerable to me as it was the frequency of a dentist drill. The noise got worse over time (I had the car for 3500 miles). Luckily I leased the car and was able to return it under the Tesla Happiness Guarantee which was available at the time. I am very surprised that this issue has not been resolved by Tesla over the last two years.

I haven't looked at the forums in a while but have been considering a Model X and came across this thread. I had a new 2016 facelift Model S 90D that had exactly this motor whine problem at a constant 30-45 mph range. Became intolerable to me as it was the frequency of a dentist drill. The noise got worse over time (I had the car for 3500 miles). Luckily I leased the car and was able to return it under the Tesla Happiness Guarantee which was available at the time. I am very surprised that this issue has not been resolved by Tesla over the last two years.

I wonder if permanent magnet motors solves it in the M3? Does anyone with PM motors in other cars who can describe if there is any motor whine?

I get a grinding noise in the front under hard acceleration. I wonder if it's an issue.
I have same problem. It started as a vibration, Tesla Vancouver Service center in Canada checked it and I was told politely that they could not replicate it and nothing was done.
Now the vibration has turned into a a grinding noise. Have to get it checked.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hi Mate,

Did you find a solution?

Br
Toke
I did not find a solution. Since my last post is 2017 which you have quoted a lot has happened.
There is a very long post on this problem &
A new SC opened in Calgary which is closer to me and they replaced the half shafts. The sound was back on after a few days. During my final service just last month at 80,000 km I complained again. I was told to drive the car in low suspicion, which I was aware of. some one mentioned in this forum that his SC told him that Tesla have finally solved it don't have any details.

• Helpful
Reactions: Toke_Holledig
I did not find a solution. Since my last post is 2017 which you have quoted a lot has happened.
There is a very long post on this problem &
A new SC opened in Calgary which is closer to me and they replaced the half shafts. The sound was back on after a few days. During my final service just last month at 80,000 km I complained again. I was told to drive the car in low suspicion, which I was aware of. some one mentioned in this forum that his SC told him that Tesla have finally solved it don't have any details.

Hi,

Thank you for fast respons.

Sorry to hear, that they still haven't fixed you car properly. I am definitely trying to get Tesla to buy back the car if they don't fix it this time.

Br.
Toke

Weird, Bjorn's video totally contradicts the premise behind using Range Mode to reduce front motor whine. According to him Range Mode causes more whine, while my experience is that it reduces whine. Ah, the mysteries continue.
My experience also, switch Range mode on, get whine around 80 kph (50 mph), switch Range off, no whine, can alternate back and forth, totally repeatable! So go figure!
I only use Range mode when on the highway at 100 kph and no whine then anyway, switch it off as soon as back on suburban streets.