Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front of house installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried searching but couldn't find much. Does anyone have any links to completed front of house Tesla solar panel installs? I was thinking to call up an advisor and see if they have completed project pics they could send me but wasn't sure if they would do that.

In my case:
Front of the house is south facing and a 5.8kW system of 17 panels yields 7,827 kWh.
Back of the house is north facing and a 8.16kW system of 24 panels yields 5,851 kWh.

Just worried about the look on the front, HOA, neighbors, property values, etc.

143216D3-6210-4C7F-8C20-A279B3E6B8F8.jpeg

Here’s the front of my house after the Tesla solar install

It all completely depends on your house layout, the roof pitch, and panel color.

My roof is very shallow and the house is 2 stories, panels are black on black. With how they're set back unless I told you we have solar panels up there you'd be hard pressed to notice from the street.

@BrettS is a bit the other way with a 1 story house and steeper roof.

We do not have an HOA here but my neighbors keep asking about the panels (and one up the street got theirs installed earlier this year) :)

My independent installer (who is Tesla certified) was more than happy to provide a client and address list so that I could go physically see their finished work. Not sure if Tesla would too but definitely find some houses similar to yours that have panels installed already to get a sense of what they look like!

View attachment 566643

Here’s the front of my house after the Tesla solar install

Thanks! Looks good

It all completely depends on your house layout, the roof pitch, and panel color.

My roof is very shallow and the house is 2 stories, panels are black on black. With how they're set back unless I told you we have solar panels up there you'd be hard pressed to notice from the street.

@BrettS is a bit the other way with a 1 story house and steeper roof.

We do not have an HOA here but my neighbors keep asking about the panels (and one up the street got theirs installed earlier this year) :)

Yeah I have a 2 story steep pitch. Roof is like a light brown/red, will definitely stick out.

My independent installer (who is Tesla certified) was more than happy to provide a client and address list so that I could go physically see their finished work. Not sure if Tesla would too but definitely find some houses similar to yours that have panels installed already to get a sense of what they look like!

Thanks, I'll try asking

We used a 3rd party installer, and were concerned about how the solar panels would look from the street with the black panels on our red spanish tile roof.

And now that the system is in, the solar panels aren't a major issue - we've only received very positive comments from our neighbors, who are now also considering adding solar to their homes.

If you can hide all of the conduits and only have the solar panels visible, and the installers do a reasonable job on the installation, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Without exposed conduit, the solar panels look like they are part of the house.

What does look bad is an installation where exposed conduit is run across the roof, over the gutters and down the side of the house. This makes it look like the panels have been tacked onto the house - and definitely impacts curb appeal.

We only had one exposed conduit in our installation, and that was running from the underside of the roof, down the side of the house to the power panels. And to minimize the impact of that conduit, it was painted to match the house color, effectively hiding it.

20191212_164509_cropped.jpg

Reactions: pilotSteve
Tried searching but couldn't find much. Does anyone have any links to completed front of house Tesla solar panel installs? I was thinking to call up an advisor and see if they have completed project pics they could send me but wasn't sure if they would do that.

In my case:
Front of the house is south facing and a 5.8kW system of 17 panels yields 7,827 kWh.
Back of the house is north facing and a 8.16kW system of 24 panels yields 5,851 kWh.

Just worried about the look on the front, HOA, neighbors, property values, etc.

Have you considered a Solarroof? We went with one because of a number of reasons, but looks was a big factor.

We used a 3rd party installer, and were concerned about how the solar panels would look from the street with the black panels on our red spanish tile roof.

And now that the system is in, the solar panels aren't a major issue - we've only received very positive comments from our neighbors, who are now also considering adding solar to their homes.

If you can hide all of the conduits and only have the solar panels visible, and the installers do a reasonable job on the installation, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Without exposed conduit, the solar panels look like they are part of the house.

What does look bad is an installation where exposed conduit is run across the roof, over the gutters and down the side of the house. This makes it look like the panels have been tacked onto the house - and definitely impacts curb appeal.

We only had one exposed conduit in our installation, and that was running from the underside of the roof, down the side of the house to the power panels. And to minimize the impact of that conduit, it was painted to match the house color, effectively hiding it.

View attachment 567096

Got it, thanks for the additional insight. Definitely will need to mind the conduit runs as I also have an HOA. A
The aerial of the house looks very nice!