Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Air Vent - Can you turn it off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife hates that our Model 3 doesn't allow her to turn off her vents on the passenger side independently like 99% of other cars. I agree with her, this is a big design oversight.

Does the Model Y allow you to turn off the face-level vents on the passenger side while remaining open on the driver's side?

The manual on page 125 says "When Model Y detects that there are no passengers sitting in the passenger seat, the passenger vent and controls automatically turn off. Adjust the climate settings to enable passenger air flow". The Model 3's manual does not have this sentence which gives me hope that you can turn off the passenger side vent.

Can any current owners let me know about this? It's a major factor in us deciding to buy a Model Y.

Thanks!
I believe there is an adjustment for air flow on either side for the Model 3. How do I know? I've stumbled upon the adjustment before!

I'm now running the latest update (2022.20.8). The passenger's side air vent is now worse than before. Previously, with no passenger there, I can turn the vent on and off with a press. But now, I can turn it on but can't turn it off. Aaaarrrggggg!!!

When my wife is sitting there, she hates having the air blowing on her. So we point her vent up to the ceiling in a tight beam. But I'll probably start carrying a roll of blue painter tape and just tape-over the vent when she is in the car.

I've also tried the maturations of long-press on the passenger temp to turn everything off, then short-press on the driver temp to turn that on. But at this point, I'm convinced that the Tesla a/c interface developers are testing using iPads in their offices and not actually in a vehicle.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I'm now running the latest update (2022.20.8). The passenger's side air vent is now worse than before. Previously, with no passenger there, I can turn the vent on and off with a press. But now, I can turn it on but can't turn it off. Aaaarrrggggg!!!

When my wife is sitting there, she hates having the air blowing on her. So we point her vent up to the ceiling in a tight beam. But I'll probably start carrying a roll of blue painter tape and just tape-over the vent when she is in the car.

I've also tried the maturations of long-press on the passenger temp to turn everything off, then short-press on the driver temp to turn that on. But at this point, I'm convinced that the Tesla a/c interface developers are testing using iPads in their offices and not actually in a vehicle.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I've upgraded to 2022.24.5. All of the the same problems are still there as before. The most annoying is that with no passenger, I can turn the passenger vent on with a tap but can't turn it off with a tap.

Scott

--

I've upgraded to 2022.24.5. All of the the same problems are still there as before. The most annoying is that with no passenger, I can turn the passenger vent on with a tap but can't turn it off with a tap.

Scott

--

This has always been the case for me. I think I have been able to shut it off by turning the rear vents on and then back off though.

Reactions: e645824
This has always been the case for me. I think I have been able to shut it off by turning the rear vents on and then back off though.

That is what is so strange. A couple of versions ago I could turn the passenger's vent on and off with a simple tap (with no passenger in the seat). But now, I can turn the passenger vent on but can't turn it off with a tap. However, a long-hold on the passenger temp will turn both off, then tap on the driver's to turn just the driver's on.

So as of 2022.24.5, here is the process to turn the passenger's vent on/off:
No passenger:
1. tap either temp to bring-up the A/C screen​
2. tap the passenger vent to turn-on the passenger vent​
3. long-hold the passenger temp to turn-off both vents​
4. tap the driver temp to bring-up the A/C screen (and the driver's vent turns back on, the passenger's vent is still off)​
With passenger:
5. use blue painters tape to cover the passenger vent​

Scott

--

• Funny
Reactions: AZTech and Bouba

Thank you. I confirmed what you had said:
1. with no one sitting in the passenger seat, the passenger vent is OFF by default
2. touch the passenger vent to turn it ON.
3. notice that you cannot turn the passenger vent back OFF by touching it.
4. As Sideman7 said, turn the rear vents ON, then turn them OFF. Notice that the passenger vent is now OFF.

If there is a Tesla A/C UI developer reading, please make things controllable and common sense:
a. should be able to turn the passenger vent ON and OFF regardless of if someone is sitting in the passenger seat or not
b. the process should be symmetric. Should be able to turn OFF the same way that something is turned ON

Scott

--

Yes..the wife...but the dog is in the back seat..he needs air
Currently there is no way to off the front passenger dashboard vent if someone is seated in the passenger seat. You can turn off the climate control, then turn the climate control on and only the driver side dashboard vent will be active (This only works when there is no one seated in the passenger seat.)

The second row vents are unaffected, if you turn on the back seat vents this setting should remain on at least for the duration of the trip. For the front passenger you can split the climate control so the passenger side can be warmer if desired. You can also split and angle the passenger side dashboard vent air flow so it is aimed up towards the glass roof. The fan speed, whether Auto or manual applies to both the driver side and passenger side ventilation.

Reactions: Bouba
Currently there is no way to off the front passenger dashboard vent if someone is seated in the passenger seat. You can turn off the climate control, then turn the climate control on and only the driver side dashboard vent will be active (This only works when there is no one seated in the passenger seat.)

The second row vents are unaffected, if you turn on the back seat vents this setting should remain on at least for the duration of the trip. For the front passenger you can split the climate control so the passenger side can be warmer if desired. You can also split and angle the passenger side dashboard vent air flow so it is aimed up towards the glass roof. The fan speed, whether Auto or manual applies to both the driver side and passenger side ventilation.
Thanks for the information…out of interest…if the passenger and driver have different temperatures…what is the rear passenger temperature ?

Thank you. I confirmed what you had said:
1. with no one sitting in the passenger seat, the passenger vent is OFF by default
2. touch the passenger vent to turn it ON.
3. notice that you cannot turn the passenger vent back OFF by touching it.
4. As Sideman7 said, turn the rear vents ON, then turn them OFF. Notice that the passenger vent is now OFF.

If there is a Tesla A/C UI developer reading, please make things controllable and common sense:
a. should be able to turn the passenger vent ON and OFF regardless of if someone is sitting in the passenger seat or not
b. the process should be symmetric. Should be able to turn OFF the same way that something is turned ON

Scott

--

I'm now running 2022.40.4 and we still can't turn off the passenger vent if it is on. If no one is sitting there and the passenger vent is off, I can tap to turn it on. But can't tap to turn it off again. At least the incredibly convoluted multi-step process to fool the system still works.

I think the Tesla App needs a "vote for fixing bugs" for $1 per vote. Bugs get fixed in the order of most $$$ collected. That is silly, but I've been waiting for 13 months to be able to turn the passenger vent on AND off whenever I want and "waiting" doesn't seem to be working.

Scott

--

Reactions: Transformer
After all of this discussion, I'll add that I not only want to be able to turn the passenger vent off on request - I'd like a way to *always* have it on unless I turn it off. The cabin is so much more comfortable if I've got air coming from that side of the car, even if I'm by myself, and any efficiency hit has to be so small as to be almost undetectable.

Reactions: laservet