Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Plate Bracket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 had no front plate bracket and no front plate required in PA. Just took delivery of my 2016 Model S and saw an ugly front plate on the bumper. Is this something new? On the 2013 models you had to drill a bracket into the nose cone. I wonder if this bracket comes off with no scars...

I believe it's glued on. Slide some dental floss behind it and saw. Then just rub the sticky stuff remaining and it will come off. My wife just picked up her car yesterday and may leave the front plate on. It doesn't look as bad as we were expecting. She has not had a front plate on her older car in ten years but since the window toll tag may not work behind the coated windshield she may have to use the front plate mounted toll bar.

My 2013 had no front plate bracket and no front plate required in PA. Just took delivery of my 2016 Model S and saw an ugly front plate on the bumper. Is this something new? On the 2013 models you had to drill a bracket into the nose cone. I wonder if this bracket comes off with no scars...

Please search the forums--this bracket is screwed on from below with odd pentalobe screws, plus the double sided automotive tape. it takes a bit more work to remove.

I used snap ring plyers to remove the screws and then just yank off the remaining black plastic part that is double sided taped on.

Mine has some scratching where the plate bracket sat against the bumper but it came out easily with a DA buffer and some meguiars ultimate compound.

I just finished removing the license plate bracket from my MS refresh. I used the plastic socket from Shapeways and it worked well.

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

I used a hair blower to loosen up the glue from the bracket and got it out. You have to put a lot of force to take it off, but when off it did not leave anything on the bumper, it came out clean :)

Later I added some suction cups to the original bracket to leave it at the Frunk just in case.

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

Reactions: azmodls and Akikiki
Just pick up my 75D yesterday. Could not wait to get home to remove the front plate bracket. I have a laser and made a removal tool for the odd ball bolts. you can use a 1/4 allen wrench or loosen by hand.

PM me if you want oneFullSizeRender 2.jpg