Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front plate in California question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still debating on what to do with my front plate. I got plates 2 weeks ago and haven't installed them yet.

Around here you will get a ticket in San Francisco, Walnut Creek, and Pleasant Hill. I have only received a no front plate ticket once on an RX-7, car didn't come with a plate. Paid a 11 dollar fine and that was it, no fix it ticket or anything.

If that was in CA and you paid the fine directly to the ticketing officer then I think you only contributed to his/her doughnut and coffee fix.

By my fuzzy memory I think that I only had one instance of being ticketed for a missing front plate. Probably was my 1980 RX-7 GS in the early 80s. Went to the Sunnyvale Public Safety office to get it signed off. I believe I was stopped for speeding on 101 by CHP in Santa Clara and the officer walked to the front of my car to add the fix-it ticket. IIRC I was told I could clear it at any police station. Still not sure if I'm going to mount front plates on my 3.

The income cap is so you don't get the $2500 rebate AND hov access. If you didn't apply for the $2500 then you can get hov access.

According to this page: Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

6. Q: Can I apply for clean air decals and for a rebate from the California Air Resources Board’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP)?

A: For a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, an applicant cannot participate in both the Clean Air Vehicle Decal Program and the CVRP unless the income restriction for tax return falls below: $150,000 for a single person, $204,000 for a head of household, and $300,000 for a joint tax return.

...which means if you make LESS THAN "$150,000 for a single person, $204,000 for a head of household, and $300,000 for a joint tax return.", you CAN participate in both the Clean Air Vehicle Decal Program AND CVRP / Clean Vehicle Rebate Project ($2,500). It's starting to make more sense now.

-Shane

The ticked for a missing front license plate in California is less than $50. I got one last year in West Hollywood. But it was a fix it ticket, so I put it back on, showed it to a police officer and then the city of West Hollywood refunded me half of the ticket fee! No biggie all in all.

I counted cars once on a freeway that don't have front license plates and it was about 10%.

I just went down to the Palo Alto show room and was talking front plate with the reps there. They don't install unless asked is the way they go. She said its about 50/50 of customers who wants Tesla to do it for them. It's most likely the adhesive will be in the frunk when they deliver it to me. Home delivery this coming up Tuesday whoo hooo.

Funny side note, I went to see why Tesla says the NEMA 14-50 plug needs to be installed ground up (mine is upside down). Its becuase the large adapter thing will hang funny. Figures. I either need to ask the electrician to flip it, try it myself, or they suggested put a hook for it to hang from. I might do that since I want to hang the charge cord anyway. Sucker is heavier then I thought. I'm thinking a garden hose hook would work nice. Then it might actually be better its upside down.

Cheers.

Funny side note, I went to see why Tesla says the NEMA 14-50 plug needs to be installed ground up (mine is upside down). Its becuase the large adapter thing will hang funny. Figures. I either need to ask the electrician to flip it, try it myself, or they suggested put a hook for it to hang from. I might do that since I want to hang the charge cord anyway. Sucker is heavier then I thought. I'm thinking a garden hose hook would work nice. Then it might actually be better its upside down.

It is fairly easy to flip - no need to disconnect the wires from the outlet. Just switch off the breaker, remove the cover plate, unscrew the outlet from the box and rotate it 180 degrees and put everything back together . There should be enough wire slack to rotate.

It is fairly easy to flip - no need to disconnect the wires from the outlet. Just switch off the breaker, remove the cover plate, unscrew the outlet from the box and rotate it to the desired orientation putting everything back together . There should be enough slack in the wires to rotate.

Awesome thanks, I will figure out how I want to hang the cord then either leave it or rotate. Glad to know its simple.

BTW I am getting the same car! I like the 18's with the black. Do you keep your covers on?

Cheers!

Awesome thanks, I will figure out how I want to hang the cord then either leave it or rotate. Glad to know its simple.

BTW I am getting the same car! I like the 18's with the black. Do you keep your covers on?

Cheers!

I took the covers off the first night and replaced with the aero wheel cap kit, however, the aero covers look much better in person than in pictures. My wife prefers with the covers on so our 4-year old was the tie breaker.

If that was in CA and you paid the fine directly to the ticketing officer then I think you only contributed to his/her doughnut and coffee fix.

By my fuzzy memory I think that I only had one instance of being ticketed for a missing front plate. Probably was my 1980 RX-7 GS in the early 80s. Went to the Sunnyvale Public Safety office to get it signed off. I believe I was stopped for speeding on 101 by CHP in Santa Clara and the officer walked to the front of my car to add the fix-it ticket. IIRC I was told I could clear it at any police station. Still not sure if I'm going to mount front plates on my 3.
Paid the city of Walnut Creek, It was back in 90-91 I think. Mailed them a check, fine paid.

City of Santa Monica and Beverly Hills no front plates tickets issued by Parking Patrols are $25 and you can pay online with credit card. Paid a few times and decided to just put on the front plate. I have the CA Legacy plate that actually looks good with the deep blue color of the Tesla. Blue, Black and Yellow are good combo.

I am debating as well..the model 3 front design really doesn’t go well with front license plate. Sigh... First world problems!

So when you get s fix it ticket, can you keep getting them? I really really don’t want to put the front license plate but then I also don’t want to keep paying for a ticket and the hassle to go through everything...

I am debating as well..the model 3 front design really doesn’t go well with front license plate. Sigh... First world problems!

So when you get s fix it ticket, can you keep getting them? I really really don’t want to put the front license plate but then I also don’t want to keep paying for a ticket and the hassle to go through everything...

I'm in a city where they look for front plates and in 20 years had two fix it tickets. Both times I parked illegally and they were just looking for anything else to cover. So basically my fault! I never put a front plate on. I would say press your luck and see how it goes.

anyone actually put those ugly stickers on their rear bumpers too for the California HOV lanes?
Oh course!!

F301797F-0974-4C05-B217-322AB60AD716.jpeg

Last edited: