Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Plate Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just moved to a state without the front requirement. I want to remove the one we currently have, but I don’t want to leave holes in the bumper. Any suggestions on things you have done? Has anyone purchased white dots that fit the holes? My assumption is that that method would almost make the dots look like radar or sensors.
Thoughts?

My 2020 only had the funky bolts, which were easily removed by sticking needle nose pliers in and turning. The plate holder also was adhered to the bumper using a mass of sticky stuff. My car was new, so I was able to gently and slowly pry the holder loose from the bumper by carefully pulling it away. Be careful using a heater, as this will damage the paint, and make the sticky goo even stickier. I think it may be best to remove it when things are cooler, but in an older car, it may have weathered and become more brittle.

I’m not sure I subscribe to the idea that’s heat damage. That looks like friction damage from the plate frame rubbing on the bumper over time, and/or someone getting real aggressive trying to get bugs and grime out of
there.

It’s been a long time since I took mine off, but as I recall it wouldn’t even make sense to apply heat there. The painted part of the plate holder comes off with just the aforementioned bolts and screws behind the plate itself, leaving the smaller black plastic mounting point that is affixed with the tape. That’s where you’d apply some heat if necessary.

Even if it is heat damage, I’ll stand by my statement that you’d have to try real hard to damage the bumper like that. Like basically being clueless or negligent.

I’m not sure I subscribe to the idea that’s heat damage. That looks like friction damage from the plate frame rubbing on the bumper over time, and/or someone getting real aggressive trying to get bugs and grime out of
there.

It’s been a long time since I took mine off, but as I recall it wouldn’t even make sense to apply heat there. The painted part of the plate holder comes off with just the aforementioned bolts and screws behind the plate itself, leaving the smaller black plastic mounting point that is affixed with the tape. That’s where you’d apply some heat if necessary.

Even if it is heat damage, I’ll stand by my statement that you’d have to try real hard to damage the bumper like that. Like basically being clueless or negligent.
Your front plate holder was held on with tape. Mine had no tape, just sticky paste. I believe my 2020 is newer than yours. It could be that the newer adhesive is different from yours. I would try to remove it carefully without heat, and then progress to more intrusive means if needed. I just rolled the residual sticky paste from the bumper and and plate holder with my hand, like removing the sticky stuff they use on some mail pieces. No harsh measure needed. Using heat would have spread the sticky paste and made it more difficult to remove.

Reactions: ucmndd