Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rick, you are a saint for taking on this project!

Would you have any real time experience to share with respect to today's snow?

I have my front plate mounted using the Skene attachment. Not sure that would work with the license plate holder you are fashioning.

Cheers!

I just made a post on the Driving Dynamics page about the handling of my Model S in last night's treacherous storm. It was outstanding.

The revised camera mount will hopefully work with any plate holder. We're waiting to see the first beta. I'll post some photos when we do.

Rick

The kick panel just snaps out and all of the cable connections are in plain sight and easy to make. You make the connections, put the switch box in place, and snap the panel back in. The trickier part of the install is running the cable from the front camera, but that's also pretty easy. I hope to post the instructions in a few days.

- - - Updated - - -

The Chinese cable kit is now available for purchase online.

I ordered the Chinese cable kit. What do I need next? Is it possible to mount the camera to the front license plate, as mentioned earlier in the thread?

Ordered the cable set. Will order camera next week. Thanks for all your efforts.

Waiting to see your instructions/video on installation, and especially how to run the cable from the front of the car to the kick panel. Would like to do this step ahead of time.

I have a spare garage door opener (homelink compatible). Would it be possible to pair this extra remote to the switch box, instead of using one of the three existing homelink channels? I already have three garage doors to control at two different houses, so I'd like to keep them on the main display, and use the remote to switch cameras.

thanks,

I have a spare garage door opener (homelink compatible). Would it be possible to pair this extra remote to the switch box, instead of using one of the three existing homelink channels? I already have three garage doors to control at two different houses, so I'd like to keep them on the main display, and use the remote to switch cameras.

thanks,

The switch will come with it's own remote.

I am obviously missing something. Why is the total price for the short and long cable less than the original link, which I assume us both cables?

nevermind, I see the set is 3 cables.
Why would some people not need the complete set? Because of the earlier set being purchased?

The front camera switch came in very handy today in a very jammed parking lot in DC. The risk of damage to the front bumper was huge. I had very little room front and rear to back into a tight space and by switching the cameras I was able to make it in. Took about 20 forward and back moves, switching from the rear to front camera every time.

Rick; thanks for your continued effort toward a smooth install and function for the front camera. I looked for a Wiki but could not located it. Please sign me up if you are still keeping the excel list **Honolulu MS** I am happy to make a non-refundable deposit of $20 or $50; if pay for the whole thing in advance if needed. In the meantime, I will order the Chinese cable kit and camera from the Tesla Service Center.

Rick; thanks for your continued effort toward a smooth install and function for the front camera. I looked for a Wiki but could not located it. Please sign me up if you are still keeping the excel list **Honolulu MS** I am happy to make a non-refundable deposit of $20 or $50; if pay for the whole thing in advance if needed. In the meantime, I will order the Chinese cable kit and camera from the Tesla Service Center.

There is no Wiki -- i'm keeping track of interest by monitoring this thread. WhiteP85 is now getting a final production cost and I'm picking up today for testing the new beta front license plate camera mount. So I'm guessing that in another week or two we'll be ready to take pre-paid production orders.

Here's a link to the first draft of installation instructions. These are not yet complete, as they show only how the camera cable should be threaded into the cockpit, and only for those without a front license plate. But when the camera is mounted on the front plate frame with the custom bracket we'll be offering, the threading will be essentially the same.

Thought I'd post these now so those with the camera can get a head start.