Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Windshield replacement from Safelite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to choose Safelite over Tesla SC to replace my front glass for my 2015 Model S with AP1 because of cost, $800 vs $2000. The installation went great, no issues with autopilot. But just some things to note.

Safelite uses Guardian glass, not Tesla glass. Glass claims to have a solar coating and accoustic shielding. But much more heat comes through the glass now, and it does not have the purplish tint that the factory glass had. Also, much more wind noise is transmitted into the cabin now.

So overall, the replacement is cheaper and functional, but not the same quality.

Specs on the Guardian Glass:
DW02435 GTY SX
Solar Coated, 3rd Visor Frit, Acoustic Interlayer, Rain/Light Sensor, Heated Wiper Park, LDWS

But much more heat comes through the glass now, and it does not have the purplish tint that the factory glass had.
...may want to explore tint options for your windshield to help with the heat.

Bear in mind you can get clear-ish tint which reflects UV radiation and heat just as effectively as tint that darkens.

Be sure to test proper functionality of devices like rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights. I've heard quite a few horror stories of Safelite cutting corners on sensor replacement which caused these items to not function properly after the install and then telling the owner that it was their problem now and they weren't going to do anything about it.

t does not have the purplish tint that the factory glass had. Also, much more wind noise is transmitted into the cabin now.

...may want to explore tint options for your windshield to help with the heat.

Bear in mind you can get clear-ish tint which reflects UV radiation and heat just as effectively as tint that darkens.

I had 3M Crystalline 90 installed on my replaced front windshield. It helps, but still nowhere near as good as before. OEM glass, i couldn't really feel much heat on my hand and arms while holding the steering wheel. Now I feel the heat is more noticeable.

I always have Tesla replace my windshield it's free anyway through the insurance under comprehensive.

It's only free if you have a zero deductible. I have a $500 deductible on my comp policy.
In KY glass, including headlights and fog lights, is considered safety equipment and is covered at no charge and no deductible if you have comprehensive insurance with any deductible. I have had fog lights and windshields replaced.

Last edited:
But it still counts as a claim, and can make your rates go up or possibly be dropped.
FWIW my comprehensive claims are specifically not factored into my driving performance.

Suggest one follow up with their agent to suss out the nuances here but in a general sense I've understood comprehensive claims to be viewed differently than claims run through a collision policy?

I had 3M Crystalline 90 installed on my replaced front windshield. It helps, but still nowhere near as good as before. OEM glass, i couldn't really feel much heat on my hand and arms while holding the steering wheel. Now I feel the heat is more noticeable.
Interesting. Luckily I've never had to replace my windshield in a Tesla yet but this is good to know.

Just out of curiosity has anyone done the exterior windshield film? Did it for the X and so far I've been mostly pleased with it.

With State Farm, you get three occurrences for them to pay out on a claim over a rolling three year period. If you reach three occurrences where SF pays a claim, no matter how small, you will be issued a warning letter. Any subsequent claims may result in cancellation. Any claim includes an accident with an uninsured motorist, a windshield repair/replacement, roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, etc. It doesn’t matter if it’s a comprehensive claim or collision.

My situation:

51 year old driver with no tickets and no accidents. Ever.
Three vehicles insured. Homeowners Insurance. Umbrella Policy. All with State Farm.

2017 Repaired a chipped windshield on wife’s Volvo. I could have had it replaced but I thought I’d save SF money. In FL there is no deductible for windshield repair/replacement.

2018 I was hit by another driver in a parking lot. Driver was underinsured so SF had to pay some to fix my car.

2019 I was hit by another driver who was underinsured in a parking garage. He caused damage to three vehicles so SF had to pay to fix my car.

I was issued a warning letter stating any future payouts could result in termination of coverage.

My agent said it is better to not even have SF coverage for rental car reimbursement, roadside assistance, etc. He said all of these, if used, count toward the three payouts in a rolling three year period.

Repaired a chipped windshield on wife’s Volvo. I could have had it replaced but I thought I’d save SF money. In FL there is no deductible for windshield repair/replacement.

For small chips or cracks, a DIY repair using a $12 windshield repair kit may be effective at stopping crack propagation without the hassle of dealing with insurance or glass repair businesses.

Reactions: FireFighterHil