Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front wing damage - recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Someone drove into the left front of out Model Y, and caved in the wing above the wheel. That panel is damaged, and also the front panel.
Structurally things seem fine I hope, as does the front wheel. So I think it will be a case of replacing the 2 panels.

Hopefully the other driver will be found to be at fault. But either way of course we are going through insurance. My questions, for anyone who may know, are these:

1. Is it worth trying to go through Tesla's body shop in Dartford? or would a local 'approved' body shop be as good?
2. Are the horror stories I hear about wait times still happening? Does anyone have any experience of how long a repair like this might take?

I'm gutted - the car has done less than 400 miles! Any advice would be welcome.

Happy weekend.

S

Hi Sgjs,

It really depends if the damaged parts are classified as beyond repair and has to be replaced. Usually approved does good work on repairs but Tesla usually replace the damaged parts. Also ca you please post the pictures? Did you get a reg plate of the person who is at fault?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes the details of the other driver are all with the insurance, so fingers crossed on that front.

Here’s the gruesome details:

Attachments

• FDA82ADA-3899-4A7E-8868-FCB3233D8CDB.jpeg
    FDA82ADA-3899-4A7E-8868-FCB3233D8CDB.jpeg
    710.1 KB · Views: 162
I had similar damage last year after a van pulled out and sideswiped me, needed new front wing, wing mirror and front bumper. Took about 7 weeks from incident to getting car back from approved body shop.

On a side note my car was in again more recently after a deer ran out in front of me and again needed a new bumper and bonnet but this time took only 9 days to get it back at same approved body shop. So the parts situation may be getting better or may just've been lucky...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I had similar damage last year after a van pulled out and sideswiped me, needed new front wing, wing mirror and front bumper. Took about 7 weeks from incident to getting car back from approved body shop.

On a side note my car was in again more recently after a deer ran out in front of me and again needed a new bumper and bonnet but this time took only 9 days to get it back at same approved body shop. So the parts situation may be getting better or may just've been lucky...
Thanks for this! It's reassuring to hear an experience that's not a horror story of waiting times.
Did you use the Tesla body shop in Dartford, or another 'approved' place?

Thanks for this! It's reassuring to hear an experience that's not a horror story of waiting times.
Did you use the Tesla body shop in Dartford, or another 'approved' place?
I'm up in Scotland where there are only two approved body shops, and both times insurance has sent it to Mitchell Inglis in Glasgow. They have actually been alright with plenty updates throughout both repairs and the repair quality was spot on both times.

I'm up in Scotland where there are only two approved body shops, and both times insurance has sent it to Mitchell Inglis in Glasgow. They have actually been alright with plenty updates throughout both repairs and the repair quality was spot on both times.
That's really great to hear! I've spoken to out local place this morning and they sound like good guys. I also spoke to Tesla in Dartford and they said that anywhere approved should be as good. So fingers crossed.

That's really great to hear! I've spoken to out local place this morning and they sound like good guys. I also spoke to Tesla in Dartford and they said that anywhere approved should be as good. So fingers crossed.
Take this with a massive pinch of salt but on speaking to the delivery guy dropping my car off on Friday after me mentioning i was surprised it only took 9 days to get back. He said that 60 containers full of parts arrived in Amsterdam destined for the UK not long ago so parts issues should be getting considerably better in the near future.

Take this with a massive pinch of salt but on speaking to the delivery guy dropping my car off on Friday after me mentioning i was surprised it only took 9 days to get back. He said that 60 containers full of parts arrived in Amsterdam destined for the UK not long ago so parts issues should be getting considerably better in the near future.
That's lovely to hear.

The guy as Dartford said that the wing will be easy to get. The front bumper may take a little longer as it's the new one without parking sensors.
But I'm hopeful that the front bumper will be repaired rather than replaced anyway.

Thanks again for all your very reassuring info - you've made my morning much jollier.
Now I just need someone to take the car away so I can stop looking at it :(