Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen Brakes (with video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never ever experienced this on any other car, but my Model S brakes stick like this (well, not quite as bad as the video) all the time... even in the summer. In the car, I can't tell if it's the front or the rear, but honestly had assumed it was the parking brake that was sticking. I usually just apply some power and the car will "snap" and break free. Since it happens in the summer, I'm not sure it is the freezing temperatures, but I do get it worse in the winter.

One other thing with the Model S is that the brakes are really susceptible to water. The first time I came out of a car wash, I almost rear-ended someone because the brakes were slipping so much due to the water. It was kind of scary, but now I know to "dry" them by pumping them a few times. Never experienced anything like that before either.

I have never ever experienced this on any other car, but my Model S brakes stick like this (well, not quite as bad as the video) all the time... even in the summer. In the car, I can't tell if it's the front or the rear, but honestly had assumed it was the parking brake that was sticking. I usually just apply some power and the car will "snap" and break free. Since it happens in the summer, I'm not sure it is the freezing temperatures, but I do get it worse in the winter.

One other thing with the Model S is that the brakes are really susceptible to water. The first time I came out of a car wash, I almost rear-ended someone because the brakes were slipping so much due to the water. It was kind of scary, but now I know to "dry" them by pumping them a few times. Never experienced anything like that before either.

Ditto - guaranteed if I park the car wet, I will have to exert a little extra energy to break the brakes free.

Ditto on the car wash part too - still freaks me out every time - I want to put my feet through the floor and stop myself Flintstone style.

Taking an Apple Genius bar to this situation, Tesla's response would sound like..."This is a feature of Tesla's regenerative braking system, when you don't use traditional brakes for extended periods of time they will lock-up. We recommend engaging the brakes hard once at least once an hour to ensure smooth operation. " ;-)

Not sure how the regen would cause this. Stationed for 3 years in Fairbanks AK (AF) with a Volvo and Toy. We had highs of -30, lows way colder. Lots of folks parked outside 24/7. Again ever saw anyone on base with this! Clearly something more than your simple surface rust. I've had Toys, acuras, honda's in our current garage. None of them formed surface rust as fast. But I doubt this is rust but rather ice and that something in our calipers, rotors or pads is attracting enough moisture to freeze solid. Did he wash the car and then park it outside? I doubt it given the snow on the ground.

Wonder if the folks in Norway are experiencing this to any degree.

Happened to me in December with a pretty hard time to unlock....I do get the once in a while "light" lock but that time, I had the front tire drag and all before it unlocked. Being from Quebec City, I see a lot of snow, sleet, water, -30 C temperatures and this has never happened to me before with any car. Jeeps, Volvos, VWs, Porsche, Land Rovers, Fords,etc.... Never....And I have never seen rust on my rotors like the one I see on my Tesla. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but this is a little worrysome to me... I do find that if I get the heat up by braking hard just before getting in the garage, I get a lot less rust and hopefully will not experience blake lock up anymore. It's like if the heat difference by breaking hard is less between the brakes and the garage temperature, allowing for less condensation thus less rust. I don't know?....