Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk latch fail on freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the hood unlatched itself on the freeway and smashed my window and covered it, beyond scary... Tesla wont give an estimate of repair time and not loaner car? uber credits? WTF

Attachments

• 9566ABBB-F940-4D4F-BB39-69172E12DDBB.jpeg
    9566ABBB-F940-4D4F-BB39-69172E12DDBB.jpeg
    742.5 KB · Views: 161
That's scary. I also have a malfunctioning frunk sensor. I only double check the frunk when the warning goes off when I first shift into drive. It does, however, constantly flash the warning while I'm driving and I just can keep pulling over to the side of the road every 30 seconds.

Ive had too many issues in just my 2 months of ownership to sit back and hope Tesla would cover this, as I'm sure you have as well. Also, would demanding a loaner car as this repair will extend past their 72 hour repair criteria. Lastly, you show definitely consider a lemon law buyback. It comes to a point when the minor QQ issues turn into major driving/safety issues that no consumer should have to deal with.

photos: Now i've had a moment after my first rant and pissed... after a few days of delivery my frunk sensor started alerting that the frunk was open and flashed 20 times a minute, 70% of the time I had to over ride the sensor to drive or use the windshield wipers (I have to over ride the windshield wipers just to make it wipe once). of course I called service and the sent someone out 3 weeks later with a new latch.. they replaced it and we drove around the block and it didn't activate.. my next drive started going off again nonstop...I requested service again and scheduled end of this month... so spent almost 60 days having to press override all the time. leads me to this day, was the frunk open and I didn't even know it? I dont even know.. at first I was blaming Tesla because of this happened to me, then I started wondering if that frunk was open and since I've had this issue on going I didn't think twice about it being open and just drove...any normal driver that had this alert would have stopped right away and made sure it was closed, but me it happens all day long. If the frunk was open and I override it due to the frunk ongoing issue I shouldn't be liable for the damage?

Also isn't there a secondary latch that triggers if you start driving? isnt that a big safety issue if it didn't auto latch?

Safercar.gov is where you can file a complaint with NHTSA in case this needs to be a recall.

Reactions: BlindPass
I was on the freeway once and saw a Chevy Tahoe passing me in the #1 lane when his hood suddenly flew open. Luckily there was a dirt shoulder the driver immediately pulled onto safely.

I was shocked to see it since I knew all cars have to have a secondary latch, but since it wasn't a new car I thought maybe it was faulty from a prior repair. The corvette issue makes no sense if in fact Chevy doesn't have a secondary latch for their C8 Vette since that's regulated.

Agree with the OP that at some point you would start ignoring the front trunk opening alert is constantly falsely alerting. And even if the front trunk is actually unlatched, there is still a secondary latch that is supposed to hold the front trunk panel in place.

Hoping Tesla doesn't give you any grief over this repair.

Everyone should check the function of their hood latches.

My secondary latch is there (first click when manually closing) but opening from the screen pops the hood in one go past the secondary latch!
Service appointment created.

• Informative
Reactions: BlindPass
My question to the OP: When closing the frunk do you heard one click or two? When I close mine and hear one click (safety) and the hood *looks* closed but is in fact only on the safety. When I press more firmly there's a second click and that's the mechanical latch. It's not unlike any other car except in my experience a hood doesn't look closed on safety on any other car so you know the hood is open, AND even if the hood is on the safety it shouldn't open in any event. It's possible Tesla may have a problem and I sure hope I don't experience it.

My frunk was adjusted very tight from the factory. I had to use 50 lb of force to get it to latch. My hood dented a bit from me pushing on it. I fixed the latch myself by removing the cover and adjusting it up a bit but trying to get tesla to fix the small dent now..