Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk opening itself after 2022.36.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrWhoDey

M3LR MSM/White Aero No FSD
Nov 29, 2021
Indiana
So this is weird. Got 2022.36.2 OTA last night. Went to the garage this morning and my frunk was open.

Closed it. Unplugged the charger. The frunk opened.

Closed it. Rebooted the car. Opened the driver door to get out. The frunk opened.

Shut the M3 down via Controls > Safety > Power Off. Waited 5 minutes. Re-entered the vehicle, closed the door, opened the door. The frunk popped open.

It's a new feature apparently. Lol.

I'm guessing the next step is a Hard Reboot, but I'm not planning to monkey around with the 12V battery.... I've opened a service ticket, maybe they have a suggestion. Service can handle this.

You probably have the SEXY buttons installed and the version you have is incompatible. I think they have released an update to their Commander module.
I do! I'll check on that.

S3XY FW updated to 2.8.5. Rebooted the car (two button hold). Exited the car.

Frunk opened. Lol.

So that's not it. Or 2.8.5 is flawed. Where did you get your info about the S3XY buttons possibly being the root? I can remove the Commander and see if that improves things, but I would not have suspected the buttons had you not posted.

Last edited:
So this is weird. Got 2022.36.2 OTA last night. Went to the garage this morning and my frunk was open.

Closed it. Rebooted the car. Opened the driver door to get out. The frunk opened.

Shut the M3 down via Controls > Safety > Power Off. Waited 5 minutes. Re-entered the vehicle, closed the door, opened the door. The frunk popped open.

I'm guessing the next step is a Hard Reboot, but I'm not planning to monkey around with the 12V battery.... I've opened a service ticket, maybe they have a suggestion. Service can handle this.

I got this update and have not had anything like this. Perhaps try starting with disabling any aftermarket accessories that interact with your vehicle:

I've got six S3XY buttons installed and all of them work great.

So that's not it. Or 2.8.5 is flawed. Where did you get your info about the S3XY buttons possibly being the root? I can remove the Commander and see if that improves things, but I would not have suspected the buttons had you not posted.
It appears that you need v2.9.9 Beta to resolve the issue:

We noticed some issues after Tesla Update 2022.36.1 was released this week! Thanks to our wonderful team of engineers, we were able to identify the issues and submit a fix in less than 48 hours!

I'm happy to tell you that the following problems were successfully resolved in v2.9.9 Beta:
- Frunk and Charge Port could open unintended when opening the door if v3 logic is used in Commander settings
- Regen button not working as expected
- Issues with Regen displayed on the Dashboard

Note: these changes are not backward compatible, so don't update if you still don't have Tesla version 2022.36.1

It also seems like you could change the Frunk/Charge port logic to not use the "v3 logic" version if you don't want to install the beta.

I do! I'll check on that.

S3XY FW updated to 2.8.5. Rebooted the car (two button hold). Exited the car.

Frunk opened. Lol.

I didnt have any information on them at all, but they are something, non tesla, that interacts with the car so you should suspect them whenever anything at all strange happens after an update, and "frunk flying open randomly" is strange.

Its certainly not something tesla would test for on an update, so whenever they add features to the car via software, it probably would be a good idea to hold off till others with those test them first.

Oh god…I am dying laughing. I am glad you have a good sense of humor about these things - never loose that. :).

Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

Oh yeah, having an aftermarket part that can control the frunk is a pretty critical bit of information :D

"I've had an extreme loss of range since the last update"

"Has anything changed?"

"Not really, oh wait, yeah, I just added a trailer hitch and started pulling a 3000-lb trailer ..."

😅
Yeah, I don't envy SCs having to diagnose problems like this. There's too many accessories out there. Didn't realize there are now ones that have such deep integration.

Reminds me of the many "charging stopped" issues with third-party apps where changing the Tesla account password locks those apps out and fixes the issue.

But there is a thread reporting DRLs not working properly on 2022.36.2:

Oh yeah, having an aftermarket part that can control the frunk is a pretty critical bit of information :D

"I've had an extreme loss of range since the last update"

"Has anything changed?"

"Not really, oh wait, yeah, I just added a trailer hitch and started pulling a 3000-lb trailer ..."

😅
I work IT, and have either performed, or managed people who perform IT functions for my entire working career.

Its MUCH MUCH more common than people likely realize, for the general person to leave out relevant details, either accidentally, or on purpose if they think those details might impact how someone else might react.

What I mean is, using this thread as an example, it more likely for someone to post about a problem like this and leave out that they have, or did something that might interact with it, than it is for someone to include that.

"I got this update and my frunk is randomly flying open after I close it".

vs

"I got this update and my frunk is randomly flying open after I close it, and oh by the way I have this third party device that interacts specifically with the car to provide access to opening the frunk".

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 7.22.03 AM.png

If this second thing was said, pretty much anyone would say "perhaps its your third party thing", so people tend to leave that out so they can see if people without that third party thing also have the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
So the beta has moved on to 2.9.10, implying that there are still issues being worked.

I'll either just disable the V3 door handle logic or disconnect the Commander completely until the bugs get worked out.

If this second thing was said, pretty much anyone would say "perhaps its your third party thing", so people tend to leave that out so they can see if people without that third party thing also have the issue.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and passion. You work IT, I'm a retired Engineer. The only variable that changed prior to the behavior I noted was the latest OTA. Occam's Razor, my friend.

And, admittedly, I didn't mention the S3XY buttons because they hadn't changed. They weren't on my radar. The system has worked so well since it was installed that it hadn't occurred to me that it, too, interacts with the internal comms that result in doors, trunk, frunk, power port being commanded to open. Implying that I withheld that info intentionally was a poor choice.... It was a simple oversight on my part that will not be repeated.

Nevertheless, before making in depth posts to cast sideways criticism at people I don't know - which is really cheap and easy - I try to give the target of my criticism the benefit of the doubt and expect that they're coming from a position of ignorance rather than evil. Whether this a thing you may want to adopt - that's up to you

But in my case, it was ignorance.

Peace.

Reactions: AZAV8R
Or that they are adding new features.

Sure. But if the front-handle-triggers-frunk fix were stable, I would expect that 2.9.9 would be moved to the release queue. It hasn't, and the feature triggering my frunk behavior seems now to be clearly related to that, so 2.9.10 is off-limits to me until it graduates to become a release candidate. :)

Meanwhile, I've disabled both Smart Actions related to this - Frunk Right Handle and Door Handle Logic V3 - the frunk does NOT open when I exit the car any longer.

Problem solved for now. When they release Commander FW that works with 2022.36.2, I'll upgrade. But while things are still in Beta, I'll wait.

Thanks everyone for the input - I've learned a lot about the community. Had the S3XY Buttons not been mentioned I would be bothering Tesla Support about this, taking time away from an owner who really needed them, and I have been reminded that I can't take any after-market accessories for granted. Next time I have a SW issue, I'll know to include the S3XY Buttons in my fault tree. :)

Sure. But if the front-handle-triggers-frunk fix were stable, I would expect that 2.9.9 would be moved to the release queue. It hasn't, and the feature triggering my frunk behavior seems now to be clearly related to that, so 2.9.10 is off-limits to me until it graduates to become a release candidate. :)
My guess is they won't make it a public release until the majority of the fleet is on 2022.36.x. The reason being is they aren't making their firmware detect your car's firmware and act accordingly. You have to install a Commander firmware that is compatible with your vehicle. (i.e. You can't use 2.9.9/10 if your car has 2022.28.x, or older, firmware.)

So by leaving the 2022.36.x compatible firmware as beta you can choose which one to have to work with your car.

They really need to make it query the car for the firmware version and then change its behavior to be compatible. (Or if they can't get the firmware version automatically then they should have an option you can pick to tell it what firmware you have.)

FWIW (which is not much, I am aware), I really like the idea of these buttons, but tesla changes "so much, all the time" that I dont want to be chasing issues like this all the time so I dont have them (or any other third party thing other than a wireless charging pad).

Third party 12v Li-Ion batteries throw codes, USB drives work then dont work then work again, etc.

@DrWhoDey I didnt mean my previous post quite the way it came out, as I re read it. The point I was (poorly) trying to make its common for people to leave this stuff out, either accidentally or on purpose. I didnt mean to imply one or the other in this case, but re reading my post it certainly seems like I was implying one or the other, and for that I apologize.

I work in IT (system support / troubleshooting), and its very common in my day job for some OS update or other to cause issues with some "previously working" thing that it interacts with, and its also common for someone to tell me "well I didnt consider that thing because it was working fine before" when I ask them "what do you have connected", so I think I brought a bit too much of my "day job" to that post.

I apologize (publicly here) for any insinuations perceived.