Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated by Financing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still super excited about getting my Tesla, but very frustrated about the financing. Their online calculator claiming it will be $5,000 down and 1.49% for 72 months, and the OAs saying 5-10% down at that rate as long as you have good credit is just inaccurate and while I realize they are trying to sell cars they should be more honest.

Just got my Tesla financing offer for my model X delivering this month, and the only one that was 1.49% required 20% down (when you live in Cali and your taxes are 10k, that plus 20% is around 30k which I just don't have lying around during the holidays). The ones that would finance the full amount were 3.9% which is just ridiculous comparatively. This is with an 800+ credit score, a previous auto loan (though only 26k), and a large revolving student debt that I pay off every month, and a DTI of 15% (adding the Telsa will only make it 24%)

I'm looking at outside financing institutions: Alliant, TechCU, USAA. Anyone counter with the Tesla financing and succeed? Did you go through the Tesla finance person or talk to banks directly?

Normally I would jump in here, but I have friends who wish someone told them this.

Guessing from the huge student loan, I am guessing that you are early in your career. Why spend so much on a car when you have a big loan. Another red flag is not having 30% of your car’s value in cash.

Do you really need a Model X. There are many other great cars which are fun to drive and much cheaper. VW GTI or Audi Q5 are great options.

In the end it’s your choice but just think about it!

Normally I would jump in here, but I have friends who wish someone told them this.

Guessing from the huge student loan, I am guessing that you are early in your career. Why spend so much on a car when you have a big loan. Another red flag is not having 30% of your car’s value in cash.

Do you really need a Model X. There are many other great cars which are fun to drive and much cheaper. VW GTI or Audi Q5 are great options.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’m only considering a car this expensive because it’s electric and I commute about 40,000 miles per year and will save a considerable amount on gas. Not to mention the benefit of driving in the carpool lane. I hated the Bolt and due to some of the conveniences of charging Tesla near my work if I’m going to go electric it will be a Tesla

Yes, somewhat early in my career. I thought about it long and hard and needed a new car regardless figured I was basically rolling my gas savings into a car payment. I can pull of the 20% if I absolutely have to but really would prefer not as I have other things I’m saving for and the interest rate and loan was one of the appealing points. I am just a little disappointed that Tesla was disengenuous about this: it would be so easy to let people know.

Have you ever shopped around for insurance? I had USAA until I bought our X. I'd been with USAA for almost 30 years with no auto claims. The insurance USAA quoted for my X was what I though to be ridiculous based on our history with them and no accidents. I started shopping around and found out USAA was no longer a good deal for my cars AND my house. Every carrier was cheaper. Progressive was a lot cheaper for both auto and house. Called to drop USAA and got a big pitch about how their service is excellent. I said if I've never made an auto claim, I'm not really getting anything out of their "great service".
Not to hijack this thread but I pay $706.45 for 6 months so $1412.90 per year. That’s not bad

Good to know. I didn’t get offers from either of them. I will ask my Tesla finance person about them.

It depends on state. They sent me one offer with one option, then I ask to see if they have different ones. He said he will check and he came back with us bank.

My Cu offers more than 1% interest, it will be even higher when interest rate go up. This is like borrowing a car for free!!

What are people getting as far as CPO cars? I got a offer for 2.69 for 72 Months on a used 2106 CPO car.
That is with 10% down...I will check what it would be if I up that to something like 20%.

Not to hijack this thread but I pay $706.45 for 6 months so $1412.90 per year. That’s not bad

I think part of the issue was that I had just added a 16 year old to the policy and USAA wouldn't let me exclude him from the Tesla. Progressive didn't exclude him either but they didn't stick it to me like USAA wanted to. I'm paying about ~$800 / 6 months and I tripled my coverage on all 3 cars from what I was at with USAA. USAA wanted over $3k a year with only $100k liability.

Reactions: P100DHG.
I feel that Tesla lenders were extremely conservative. Before Tesla, I had been always able to get 0 down with the lowest interest rate. For BMW it was 0% financing. I still remember the Sales Manager at BMW trying to get me to put something down. I asked him if it is 0%, why should I put ANY money down? I think he tried to tell me that if I don't put some money down then I will have to pay for Gap insurance. I just told him, that's alright, I will figure it out with my insurance agent.
it’s all a game to get the most money as possible. Some people love low interest rate, so they give low interest rate. Some pay cash and look for lowest sales price. With a traditional dealer, it’s just all part of how the balance getting the most money yet can get. IMHO, of course.

I got Chase at 1.49%. I was able to get the full price financed but had to pay the sales tax and a little bit of other stuff so total was around $15k paid at the start for a $110k car.

I have had many luxury cars in the past (2 in the $100k range) but they were all leases. I had leases on around 3 other cars in the 40k-$60k range. Other cars I pretty much always just bought outright without financing (most expensive was around $60k). I think the most expensive car that I actually financed was my first car after college when I financed around $20k on a $30k car. This car is the most expensive car that I have financed.

So yeah I've probably owned/leased about 10 cars in the past.

From a practical perspective, my only piece of advice to slightly younger folks than me (I'm not that old...in my 40s) is to keep in mind that pretty much all cars (especially electric ones, Tesla, etc.) are depreciating assets.

RVD.

Reactions: Xtek and brkaus
Am I right in thinking that you put down a non-returnable deposit on a car BEFORE getting a finance offer? If so, wow!

Edit: Also 40K miles per annum is a serious mileage. Whatever you save in fuel is going to be peanuts compared to depreciation. The car is going to be more or less worthless in just a handful of years. I hope you've given the residual value, or should I say lack of it, some thought.

Last edited:
Have you ever shopped around for insurance? I had USAA until I bought our X. I'd been with USAA for almost 30 years with no auto claims. The insurance USAA quoted for my X was what I though to be ridiculous based on our history with them and no accidents. I started shopping around and found out USAA was no longer a good deal for my cars AND my house. Every carrier was cheaper. Progressive was a lot cheaper for both auto and house. Called to drop USAA and got a big pitch about how their service is excellent. I said if I've never made an auto claim, I'm not really getting anything out of their "great service".

Just be aware that progressive is known to be difficult on tesla claims. They refuse to pay the market hourly rate for aluminum repair. Many here have had to pay out of pocket to cover the difference, or have had their cars sit for months while they hired an attorney to battle.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl

Or a model 3.