Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: Tesla Model S Founders Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the test car was used in the September 30th New York Times article.
Broder memories....

While that probably raises the long-term collector value of the vehicle, I don't think I can will myself to sit in the same seat that he did. Stupid and unethical might rub off on me.

Broder memories....

While that probably raises the long-term collector value of the vehicle, I don't think I can will myself to sit in the same seat that he did. Stupid and unethical might rub off on me.
I'd love to have a car that was in the middle of all that drama

And you never know, broder may be a smart guy after all
create drama > lower stock > purchase stock = profit!

I'm just kidding, he definitely lacked common sense!

Broder memories....

Cool find.

Brianman, you can have your cake and eat it too... this is the car from the NYT's 9/30 review, the review that suggested it was the biggest game changer since the Model T, not Broder's handiwork... so if you like the car, go for it :)

Cool find.

Brianman, you can have your cake and eat it too... this is the car from the NYT's 9/30 review, the review that suggested it was the biggest game changer since the Model T, not Broder's handiwork... so if you like the car, go for it :)
Now I just have to find $100k lying around and a reason to get a second Model S for one driver. ;)

Cool find.

Yes, this would be an awesome car to own. At least this newsworthy car can be purchased. I'm not so sure the other car that is spurring on the TSLA fire sale is going to be back on the road.

I am new to Tesla (so I am prepared to have to remove my foot from my mouth here, but take it easy on me). What would the appeal be of this car really over a non-founder version. From what I have seen only a real Tesla enthusiast would even know to look for the "Founder" markings on the outside and cluster and that same enthusiast likely would know you were not the founder who the car was made for. In return, you pay a premium for said markings (and the low VIN, which is admittedly cool, but not noticeable to anyone who does not look at the VIN plate) and you get a car that likely has worse fit and finish compared to a car built a 6 months ago or even more so, a brand new one. Is there something else you get that I am missing? I feel the same way about the Signature cars too. I am looking at this from a buyer's perspective, so please do not think I am saying Signature owners are idiots. I am just wondering why it would make sense to pay more for a car that was somewhat inferior to a later production. To me, the sweet spot to buy a car right now is a car made jest before the August price increases that had the Ambient lighting, Alcantara Headliner and seat bolsters, rear spoiler, wood or CF dash, etc at no extra charge and the cheaper Pano roof, wheel upgrade, etc. In particular a P85+ made in those few months before that changed would be ideal since you are looking at a lower MSRP to negotiate from while getting the latest updates (except the rear heated seats and parking sensors, if those were on your must have list). Please do not take it as a troll post, it's really not. I just want to know if I am missing something and surely you guys/gals know a lot more than me!!

A California car (I assume, that's a white CAV sitcker on the rear bumper, right?) that's being sold in Wisconsin. Wonder what the story is there. Also, I'd have made more of the gas pump in the background, would have made for some cool, ironic photos.

What would the appeal be of this car really over a non-founder version.

It will eventually have some collectible value. And I disagree about fit and finish. The earliest cars were built very slowly and hand inspected personally by Elon and many of the other critical folks at Tesla. Also this car has every available option, which makes it nice. But really the only value the Founders car would have is to be collectible at some point in the distant future. The fact that this car was driven by the press as well as Elon will also give it some extra value.

The only drawback is that this car apparently can't go very far in the wintertime. haha

Just a note, that this car for sale is obviously not the exact same car that was used by Broder, the seller probably meant that it is the same type of car. It is the wrong color, and wrong interior to be the exact same car.

Peter

It will eventually have some collectible value. And I disagree about fit and finish. The earliest cars were built very slowly and hand inspected personally by Elon and many of the other critical folks at Tesla. Also this car has every available option, which makes it nice. But really the only value the Founders car would have is to be collectible at some point in the distant future. The fact that this car was driven by the press as well as Elon will also give it some extra value.

The only drawback is that this car apparently can't go very far in the wintertime. haha

Thanks for the input. I kinda thought about the hand-inspected thing since I had read about it, but it seems like all of the complaints about panel gaps and mis-aligned hatches, etc are earlier production cars. Am I incorrect, or were those QC problem cars built after the Founder and Signature cars where production was ramping up and quality took a back seat for a bit? I agree about the potential for collectibility, but I also think of the Tesla as almost a Smartphone type of product. Battery technology and LTE vs. the current car's 3G connectivity, etc., etc. might make the Model S outdated far sooner than a ICE car where things change pretty slowly by comparison due to the maturity of the technology. Sort of like a Motorola Razr or the original iPhone (2G). Neat, but way pretty much useless compared to a current 5 or 5S iPhone. Again, maybe I do not understand that the Model S will be able to be updated to the newer battery tech, but if it can't and 5 years from now they have cars that can deliver 200 kWh batteries for the same or less than a 60 kWh car costs now, where does that leave those of us who buy the current product?

Again, maybe I do not understand that the Model S will be able to be updated to the newer battery tech, but if it can't and 5 years from now they have cars that can deliver 200 kWh batteries for the same or less than a 60 kWh car costs now, where does that leave those of us who buy the current product?

That leaves us driving a still-awesome Model S, and in much better shape than people that don't buy the current product and are struggling to unload their gas car so they can get one of the new ones.

Last edited:
or the original iPhone (2G). Neat, but way pretty much useless compared to a current 5 or 5S iPhone.

Yes, but if you had one of the original iPhone's that was one of the first off of the production line and it was still in good condition, it would be quite valuable in the distant future. The value is only there for the few early versions, the later production is pretty much worthless.

bluetinc : Thanks for pointing that out. I did not even look at that, but you are correct. He had a Red, not Signature Red car. If I actually had the money to buy this I would research it more closely. That does not really change the value of the car that much. It is still a Founders car with all the options.

That leaves us driving a still-awesome Model S, and in much better shape that people that don't buy the current product and are struggling to unload their gas car so they can get one of the new ones.
I see your point. I think I just look at it differently due to my experience with tech products and cars. There was a snippet about how a 22,000 Kia had most all of the features and a ton of new ones that a 10 year old 100K+ S-class had. I just think the collectibility factor is so far off most of us will be dead and gone before it happens, if at all on the Model S. Obviously I am not looking to buy one for collectibility reasons, but since the "Founders" version seems to bring up that subject area I wanted to get the opinions of those of you who had more knowledge about the Tesla and possibly a viewpoint I had not considered.

I mean if your current sig is just going to be laying around collecting dust...
Sacrilege!

But you give me an idea. Maybe Tesla can work out this autopilot thing so I can take two cars with me wherever I go. You know, redundancy. Ok, not really, just because it would be awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

TSLA fire sale
Perhaps "too soon" but terribly funny phrasing.

I salivate when I see a red signature MS (though I wouldn't know the difference between this and a founder's car unless someone showed me). The red signature color is discontinued, and is my favorite color MS...

This color will someday add to its collector value...

I salivate when I see a red signature MS (though I wouldn't know the difference between this and a founder's car unless someone showed me). The red signature color is discontinued, and is my favorite color MS...

This color will someday add to its collector value...
The interior options were the same as U.S. market signatures. I say U.S. market instead of North America, because the Founder's vehicles did not have the cold weather accommodations of (some of?) the Canadian signatures.

The VIN numbers ranged from 00001 to 00043 (or something near that) and the "S#####" of signature was "F#####" for founder vehicles.

The external adornments (rear chrome/metallic bar on the trunk and the turn signal triangles) say "Founder" instead of "Signature.

I don't recall any other differences, but there are bound to be some (minor?) retrofits as the first Signatures arrived at customers with a noticeable time gap after the "10 Founder vehicles delivered" dog and pony show.

Hope this helps.