Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD and hardware (overflow from multiple threads)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note (bmah): The first 26 posts in this thread were moved from the 2018.39 thread and the Early Access Program thread. This thread is now a consolidation of two lines of discussion, so please look out for ordering issues.

If this is redundant, I will delete it. However, in this article Elon Musk's quotes concerning Tesla replacing the Nvidia system that makes up our 2.5 hardware with Tesla's own hardware in 3.0 soon and it will support FSD. It claims he said our 2.5 system will support EAP ....with the stuff we pretty much already have! Anyone else see this? Makes V9 kind of who cares if it is accurate the way I read it.

"However, the Palo Alto, California-based automobile manufacturer insisted that its current Hardware 2.5 system was powerful enough to handle Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot including features like matching speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and being summoned to and from your garage."

bah I was sold FSD and paid for it.

Link:
Why Tesla Dropped Nvidia's AI Platform For Self-Driving Cars And Built Its Own

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is redundant, I will delete it. However, in this article Elon Musk's quotes concerning Tesla replacing the Nvidia system that makes up our 2.5 hardware with Tesla's own hardware in 3.0 soon and it will support FSD. It claims he said our 2.5 system will support EAP ....with the stuff we pretty much already have! Anyone else see this? Makes V9 kind of who cares if it is accurate the way I read it.

"However, the Palo Alto, California-based automobile manufacturer insisted that its current Hardware 2.5 system was powerful enough to handle Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot including features like matching speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and being summoned to and from your garage."

Link:

What's the issue? They also said that once the new hardware is ready they will upgrade all the cars that purchased FSD.

What's the issue? They also said that once the new hardware is ready they will upgrade all the cars that purchased FSD.

The issue is they "insisted" (when talking about the future) that "2.5 was powerful enough for EAP". Why even state that when talking about the future?

However, if we have a guarantee that the "hardware" will be swapped out for the Tesla 3.0.....I find that hard to believe given the gutting the cars would have to endure......ok...no issue then.

I posted this in a different thread that may be off topic so I will delete that one.

However, in this article Elon Musk's quotes concerning Tesla replacing the Nvidia system that makes up our 2.5 hardware with Tesla's own hardware in 3.0 soon and it will support FSD. It claims he said our 2.5 system will support EAP ....with the stuff we pretty much already have! Anyone else see this? Makes V9 kind of who cares if it is accurate the way I read it.

If they say they will "update" current 2.5 cars to the new Tesla hardware I am finding that hard to believe because 1. when talking about the future they are defensive about 2.5 already equipped to perform EAP and 2. seems like they would have a major swapout for a hell of a lot of cars.....too many

Link:

I posted this in a different thread that may be off topic so I will delete that one.

However, in this article Elon Musk's quotes concerning Tesla replacing the Nvidia system that makes up our 2.5 hardware with Tesla's own hardware in 3.0 soon and it will support FSD. It claims he said our 2.5 system will support EAP ....with the stuff we pretty much already have! Anyone else see this? Makes V9 kind of who cares if it is accurate the way I read it.

If they say they will "update" current 2.5 cars to the new Tesla hardware I am finding that hard to believe because 1. when talking about the future they are defensive about 2.5 already equipped to perform EAP and 2. seems like they would have a major swapout for a hell of a lot of cars.....too many

Link:

You'll need more juice for higher levels of autonomy. If you plan on keeping your vehicle a while you'll cash in.

The issue is they "insisted" (when talking about the future) that "2.5 was powerful enough for EAP". Why even state that when talking about the future?

However, if we have a guarantee that the "hardware" will be swapped out for the Tesla 3.0.....I find that hard to believe given the gutting the cars would have to endure......ok...no issue then.

He was referring to swapping out the chipset 2.5 uses, which is Nvidia, for the Tesla homegrown custom chipset, which is 3.0. Tesla designed the chipset and the car so that it’s an easy swap, so they don’t need to gut the cars to do it.

He was referring to swapping out the chipset 2.5 uses, which is Nvidia, for the Tesla homegrown custom chipset, which is 3.0. Tesla designed the chipset and the car so that it’s an easy swap, so they don’t need to gut the cars to do it.

Ok...you sound knowledgeable on this subject. I will understand that currently Tesla's position is that the hardware we have now WILL NOT support FSD, the soon to be added to cars Tesla Chip (and associated new hardware) will be 3.0 and THAT will now be marketed as FSD (as 2.5 was)....AND.....we all (many cars) will be called in for a swap out for the new hardware. Got it. Hope that the NEW marketing is more accurate than the old. Seriously. I want to believe this very unbelievable scenario.

Just to clarify, the whole module gets swapped, not just the chipset or daughter board.

It turns out that computer wasn’t powerful enough. Tesla upgraded it once, a year later, but now says it’ll have to upgrade all the cars again, with even more number crunching power—and the new chip. All the connectors on the computer, which sits behind the glove box in the Model S and X, are exactly the same, so it’s just a case of service centers plugging in a new one. “It's super kick-sugar,” says Musk.
Tesla Says Its New Self-Driving Chip Is Finally Baked

Ok the GOOD side of learning that our current hardware will NOT support FSD and there is a gutting of the car required to "upgrade"........not believing that will happen ....

I am NOT as crazy for V9.....no more staying up late in my jammies looking for the clock on the dash......non event.

Gutting? AP computational hardware lives behind the glove box and was designed to be swapped, see for yourself:

Look inside Tesla’s onboard Nvidia supercomputer for self-driving

Gutting? AP computational hardware lives behind the glove box and was designed to be swapped, see for yourself:

Look inside Tesla’s onboard Nvidia supercomputer for self-driving

You are correct, I know that. I am NOT believing that this will happen to the many cars that would require the swap. Maybe I am so skeptical because of being accused on other thread of being naive when I buy into their marketing and make the mistake of believing Tesla ....then they change their story as if nothing REALLY happened and we have a new REALITY.

You are correct, I know that. I am NOT believing that this will happen to the many cars that would require the swap. Maybe I am so skeptical because of being accused on other thread of being naive when I buy into their marketing and make the mistake of believing Tesla ....then they change their story as if nothing REALLY happened and we have a new REALITY.

I can understand the doubt and frustration, but the idea of Tesla Mobile service swapping out AP HW seems quite feasible.

Paying for FSD feature wasn't a waste. There will be a break away point where the new hardware you'll get for "free" is needed, just not this update. That seemed to be your concern, yeah?

Yes in a sense. and other marketing nonsense.

I am in contact with Tesla often on other matters. Even though we all knew Tesla was working on their own hardware, I have never had a Tesla employee or executive (executives who have emailed me in the past on the FSD subject) tell me straight up that the 2.5 hardware is not capable of doing what was marketed : FSD ("...implemented by the end of 2016." ...(or 2017? or 2019? anyone have a date? we deserve one!)). I have learned it through tech articles in magazines.

I do not see that doing this is "for free". Someone retrofitting my equipment with something it should have had when sold to me and paid for is not "free".

That being said, I am VERY skeptical about a moving promise with no SET date, timeline, etc.....just an implied TRUST US. I hope, somehow it all happens. In a REASONABLE timeline. We have been more than patient. Even V9 details must come through gossip. Nonsense. Release the damn thing to ALL. What we have NOW is marked BETA. Why set up a class of users who now tout their superiority in being "selected" to get "advanced" releases. Bullspit. I know I am ranting...but sick of this nonsense that we are all supposed to just drink Kook Aid and accept.

Nonsense. But now I will go drive the Tesla I love and let it all happen the way the Universe sees fit.

Yes in a sense. and other marketing nonsense.

I am in contact with Tesla often on other matters. Even though we all knew Tesla was working on their own hardware, I have never had a Tesla employee or executive (executives who have emailed me in the past on the FSD subject) tell me straight up that the 2.5 hardware is not capable of doing what was marketed : FSD ("...implemented by the end of 2016." ...(or 2017? or 2019? anyone have a date? we deserve one!)). I have learned it through tech articles in magazines.

I do not see that doing this is "for free". Someone retrofitting my equipment with something it should have had when sold to me and paid for is not "free".

That being said, I am VERY skeptical about a moving promise with no SET date, timeline, etc.....just an implied TRUST US. I hope, somehow it all happens. In a REASONABLE timeline. We have been more than patient. Even V9 details must come through gossip. Nonsense. Release the damn thing to ALL. What we have NOW is marked BETA. Why set up a class of users who now tout their superiority in being "selected" to get "advanced" releases. Bullspit. I know I am ranting...but sick of this nonsense that we are all supposed to just drink Kook Aid and accept.

Nonsense. But now I will go drive the Tesla I love and let it all happen the way the Universe sees fit.

Yeah I understand. That's why I put "free". You'll be able to cash in on it at some point. As a general rule never expect a salesperson to really know all that much. Tesla's are better than the car dealership drones but still.

Yeah I understand. That's why I put "free". You'll be able to cash in on it at some point. As a general rule never expect a salesperson to really know all that much. Tesla's are better than the car dealership drones but still.

I do like your assuredness that this will happen.
We run on hopes.

THEY run a BUSINESS when it comes to expectations from us. "You can NOT negotiate the price of a Tesla, Sir. Not even a loaner. WE set the price." "No sir you CAN NOT pay for the FSD sometime out in the future when your "Financial Research and Development " team sees fit. Buy or Lease now." :)