Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD and hardware (overflow from multiple threads)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. The world does NOT exist outside of Seattle. (Starbucks, Amazon, Microsoft, Expedia, etc etc):eek:

ugh.....some jealousy with your mobile service.....

Hopefully that's coming for you guys. As someone from SoCal said, it's definitely not vaporware. Here in the Bay Area, it's been rapidly expanding over the last 1-2 months. Now it's basically the primary form of service they're offering here, and it's super convenient.

Yes in a sense. and other marketing nonsense.

I am in contact with Tesla often on other matters. Even though we all knew Tesla was working on their own hardware, I have never had a Tesla employee or executive (executives who have emailed me in the past on the FSD subject) tell me straight up that the 2.5 hardware is not capable of doing what was marketed : FSD ("...implemented by the end of 2016." ...(or 2017? or 2019? anyone have a date? we deserve one!)). I have learned it through tech articles in magazines.

I do not see that doing this is "for free". Someone retrofitting my equipment with something it should have had when sold to me and paid for is not "free".

That being said, I am VERY skeptical about a moving promise with no SET date, timeline, etc.....just an implied TRUST US. I hope, somehow it all happens. In a REASONABLE timeline. We have been more than patient. Even V9 details must come through gossip. Nonsense. Release the damn thing to ALL. What we have NOW is marked BETA. Why set up a class of users who now tout their superiority in being "selected" to get "advanced" releases. Bullspit. I know I am ranting...but sick of this nonsense that we are all supposed to just drink Kook Aid and accept.

Nonsense. But now I will go drive the Tesla I love and let it all happen the way the Universe sees fit.
It's already been stated that the upgrade to 3.0 hardware will be free to those who purchased FSD with the car.

Hopefully that's coming for you guys. As someone from SoCal said, it's definitely not vaporware. Here in the Bay Area, it's been rapidly expanding over the last 1-2 months. Now it's basically the primary form of service they're offering here, and it's super convenient.

I hope you are correct about it coming our way. Coincidently I noticed a lines problem on the touchscreen (seen in other threads here) and just getting through on the phone starts with a message "you have a wait time OVER 30 minutes."

Good luck getting into service here.

It's already been stated that the upgrade to 3.0 hardware will be free to those who purchased FSD with the car.

Yup. I am skeptical. This has been a moving target. No set schedule or timeline....just trust us. The service centers are swamped the way it is now. I was accused of drinking the Kool Aid in the past. Now I see many that just say "this will happen"......ok there is Kool Aid and on the other hand some skepticism based on seeing Tesla change things in the past.

Yup. I am skeptical. This has been a moving target. No set schedule or timeline....just trust us. The service centers are swamped the way it is now. I was accused of drinking the Kool Aid in the past. Now I see many that just say "this will happen"......ok there is Kool Aid and on the other hand some skepticism based on seeing Tesla change things in the past.
'

Tesla advertised the cars it sold as being "FSD capable" thus in order to prevent lawsuits for false advertising they will have no choice but to upgrade everyone who paid for the feature. The sensor suite is basically complete, the only thing really need is the processing power and software.

• Love
Reactions: gearchruncher
'

Tesla advertised the cars it sold as being "FSD capable" thus in order to prevent lawsuits for false advertising they will have no choice but to upgrade everyone who paid for the feature. The sensor suite is basically complete, the only thing really need is the processing power and software.
Or just wait long enough that most cars sold with that promise has been retired... Seriously though, FSD is seriously hard and it took us millions of year of evolution to master. I would cut them some slack as long as progress is being made. Maybe some day I would buy my real FSD S250D

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
Or just wait long enough that most cars sold with that promise has been retired... Seriously though, FSD is seriously hard and it took us millions of year of evolution to master. I would cut them some slack as long as progress is being made. Maybe some day I would buy my real FSD S250D

Cut the engineers some slack? Sure, definitely. Cut Elon and Tesla as a whole some slack? Why? They made ridiculous promises they could not deliver on and they took people's money. There is absolutely no excusing that. They should have known it was hard; I am positive that the engineers were telling them it was hard, and Elon chose to ignore them and accept payment for vaporware. Absolutely no slack shall be cut by me for that SOB.

Cut the engineers some slack? Sure, definitely. Cut Elon and Tesla as a whole some slack? Why? They made ridiculous promises they could not deliver on and they took people's money. There is absolutely no excusing that. They should have known it was hard; I am positive that the engineers were telling them it was hard, and Elon chose to ignore them and accept payment for vaporware. Absolutely no slack shall be cut by me for that SOB.

I do agree there is some (ok, a lot of) over promising going on here, but I would prefer someone shooting for the stars and ending on the moon rather than the usual from the auto industry which is no change at all. Tesla is giving everyone a big kick in the behind to get up and actually innovate. If it wasn’t for these bold vision, we will still be in a world where the next big thing for the “all new” model is a new paint color and rearranging plastic trims.

Last edited:
I do agree there is some (ok, a lot of) over promising going on here, but I would prefer someone shooting for the stars and ending on the moon rather than the usual from the auto industry which is no change at all. Tesla is giving everyone a big kick in the behind to get up and actually innovate. If it wasn’t for these bold vision, we will still be in a world where the next big thing for the “all new” model is a new paint color and rearranging plastic trims.

But... the autonomous driving kick in the behind came from Waymo, not Tesla. Tesla was responding (sooner than the rest of the auto industry certainly) to the threat presented by Waymo.

I'll preface this question by saying that I don't really have any knowledge about computing HW/SW...
But if a "a lot more" computing power is needed to support FSD, wouldn't this mean more power would be sucked up to capture and compute the numerous frames coming in through 8 cameras and 12 sensors, not to mention the neural "decision making" aspect as well?

I'm using my experience with video editing and AR a frame of reference.. it sucks up my computer and phone battery pretty fast. Wouldn't this hold true to FSD?

Mobileye had Tesla believing that they could provide FSD with the equipment they were putting in the earlier cars. When that association terminated, Tesla needed to start all over.
Tesla advanced with a fresh, and much more capable system they call Tesla Vision. They installed an ultra fast and high capacity computer system in house to gather all the data from the existing Tesla on the road. They are using this unique and valuable data to develop a self driving system that will untimately be far superior. While it is still being developed, the results and benefits are just now being rolled out.

The future is bright.

Mobileye had Tesla believing that they could provide FSD with the equipment they were putting in the earlier cars. When that association terminated, Tesla needed to start all over.

That's an interesting interpretation. The other one is that Mobileye has publicly said they broke up with Tesla because Tesla was pushing the bounds of what Mobileye could do and was being unsafe about it.

Also weird is that Tesla was working on their own stuff in 2015 and the Mobileye situation broke down in June 2016.

Reactions: rnortman
Tesla advanced with a fresh, and much more capable system they call Tesla Vision. They installed an ultra fast and high capacity computer system in house to gather all the data from the existing Tesla on the road. They are using this unique and valuable data to develop a self driving system that will untimately be far superior. While it is still being developed, the results and benefits are just now being rolled out.

Wow, this is like a blast from the past... this is exactly the line Tesla asked us all to swallow in 2016. Not to be snippy but I'm going to be snippy here... I can't believe anybody still believes this line... The Mobileye part of it at least has been debunked (as gearchruncher pointed out).

They have now upgraded the "ultra fast and high capacity computer" (which is an Nvidia system, not something they developed in house) once (HW2.5) and stated that they need to upgrade it again sometime next year (HW3) before they can even start delivering FSD. People who have gained root access on their AP2 cars have demonstrated that Tesla is collecting a rather limited amount of "unique and valuable data" from the fleet; the data from the vast majority of Autopilot miles is almost immediately discarded. And two years later, they have barely achieved parity with the Mobileye system and have not delivered on their promises for EAP, and have not even started delivering any FSD feature (which is now said to be contingent on HW3 release).

The future is bright.

With AP2 FSD, the future will always be bright, and it will always be in the future.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Wow, this is like a blast from the past... this is exactly the line Tesla asked us all to swallow in 2016. Not to be snippy but I'm going to be snippy here... I can't believe anybody still believes this line... The Mobileye part of it at least has been debunked (as gearchruncher pointed out).

They have now upgraded the "ultra fast and high capacity computer" (which is an Nvidia system, not something they developed in house) once (HW2.5) and stated that they need to upgrade it again sometime next year (HW3) before they can even start delivering FSD. People who have gained root access on their AP2 cars have demonstrated that Tesla is collecting a rather limited amount of "unique and valuable data" from the fleet; the data from the vast majority of Autopilot miles is almost immediately discarded. And two years later, they have barely achieved parity with the Mobileye system and have not delivered on their promises for EAP, and have not even started delivering any FSD feature (which is now said to be contingent on HW3 release).

With AP2 FSD, the future will always be bright, and it will always be in the future.

AP team has been collecting driving data they need to better the system and train the neural networks.

Current AP 2.x hardware is too weak to support full FSD but it will likely support upcoming parts of it. Once 2.x cannot deliver it will be upgraded for free as per Tesla.

Tesla told us that HW2 was good enough for FSD, and showed us a video Then HW2.5. Now it's HW3.
Why do you trust them that an upgrade will be free?

It will not be free. There was a large $,$$$ for FSD (which many of us have pre-paid) and if additional hardware is necessary it will be included in the price already paid. It was never free. Meaning if you have HW 2.0/2.5 but did not / do not purchase FSD you will not be given the additional hardware for free.