Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD-beta simply does not yield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright- so I have had FSD beta now for about 9 months. In that time, FSD has no doubt gotten far better. However, I have had 2 safety critical disengagements that have almost resulted in collisions. They were both at times when beta simply did not yield to a yield sign (outside roundabout), this seems like a glaring issue to me? Beta just does not respond to yield signs (and to be knowledge never has). When will this be fixed???? IMO, this is the biggest, most critical problem with FSD right now. Thoughts? (I have about 5k+ miles on beta/AP, so pretty decent experience)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Alright- so I have had FSD beta now for about 9 months. In that time, FSD has no doubt gotten far better. However, I have had 2 safety critical disengagements that have almost resulted in collisions. They were both at times when beta simply did not yield to a yield sign (outside roundabout), this seems like a glaring issue to me? Beta just does not respond to yield signs (and to be knowledge never has). When will this be fixed???? IMO, this is the biggest, most critical problem with FSD right now. Thoughts? (I have about 5k+ miles on beta/AP, so pretty decent experience)
There are no release notes regarding Caution and Stop Yields, so there is no timeline on this. If you notice a Yield sign coming up, use caution and disengage the system if you need to. Report it via voice: "Car did not recognize and respond to yield sign"

There are no release notes regarding Caution and Stop Yields, so there is no timeline on this. If you notice a Yield sign coming up, use caution and disengage the system if you need to. Report it via voice: "Car did not recognize and respond to yield sign"
Got it. Maybe Tesla doesn't want to spend time building a vision/perception CNN system for yield signs with HW4 around the corner.

I feel as though it is too cautious near the yield signs on my commute but who knows...

I have plenty of concerns with FSD Beta, but there are a few very common situations that I feel like they haven't even tried to program or train for:

1. School zones
2. Railroad crossings
2. Lane merging
3. Crossing solid white lines

In each of these the car seems to be using it's vision to just "handle" the situation generically without any specific programming/training for the context of the actual situation. For example, when merging lanes, either on ramps to highways/interstates or, e.g., three highway-lanes merging to two, the vision system recognizes that the configuration of the lane lines have changed and the two lanes have now become one, so it adjusts its position accordingly. But it doesn't seem to know the merge is coming, even when mapping, signage, and/or basic context (i.e. onramp) indicates such, and it doesn't signal the merge or really "yield" except to avoid hitting a car next to it, etc.

Similarly, it can't handle the flashing yellow lights at school zones in all the various configurations. It either seems to ignore them altogether or treat them as stop lights that are flashing yellow (or sometimes it interprets them as lights that are turning red). And it changes lanes when it wants to change lanes and doesn't seem to understand that cars are not supposed to cross solid white lines.

Now, these are not uncommon situations mind you, or in the "long tail of 9s" -- they are everyday driving situations for the most part. And they could use mapping data to be aware of a lot of these situations (just as humans do from signs and experience) and have the car drive in the proper context. But, it's like Tesla has just decided that it can rely on the basic driving neural networks to be able to handle these situations, and as long as there are no collisions, then they just aren't to concerned with the specific situation. I wonder, however, what is going to happen when FSD leaves "beta" status (assuming that ever happens) and is released in the wild.

Reactions: eli_
Crossing a solid white line is legal.
I didn’t say anything about “legal” - only referring to what the line markings mean. In Georgia, a solid line means you stay in your lane. You can cross only dashed lines. Color only refers to whether the line separates you from traffic traveling same direction or different direction. It’s a bit weird to hear it’s different somewhere else - these lane markings seem pretty universal to me.

Where I live, Central Missouri, I believe it is the same as in Georgia, above. I haven’t seen my car have a problem with that.

But I have to transit a quiet, residential traffic circle every time I leave and return home - which I go straight through after passing two off-ramps one way and one the other. The FSD completely stops one way and ignores the ’circle the other way. Now that I know what to expect I can deal with it.

The other thing it always screws up is when the road adds a passing lane or off ramp on the left. Scares the heck out of my passenger when the car quickly and unnecessarily moves into the far left lane. Two things help here - Chill mode and “Reduce lane changes” in the Autopilot set up. It has become clear to me that the car is not going to learn how to handle me - I am going to have to learn how to handle the car.

The FSD trial on my HW4 Y ignores the yield sign exiting my neighborhood every. single. time. Nothing shows on the visualization, it's as if there's nothing there. The car blows right through the intersection (almost caused an accident once).

IMHO, FSD handles 80-90% of the driving pretty well. The remainder is OMG-I'm-going-to-die!!! terrifying.