Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does location matter for FSD performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious as most videos I see of YouTubers testing FSD is they are in California or in the north east area. I live in Omaha NE myself and have been using FSD beta for some time now. For the most part I am very impressed with it but there are a number of oddities and mistakes it makes I don't see occur in other testers videos in similar situations. My main question is does FSD do better in locations with more testers than more isolated locations. I am fairly certain San Fransisco has far more Tesla drivers and beta users than Omaha NE lol.

Reactions: Y_so_Blue
It matters A LOT.

Also depends on how complicated your surroundings are. For someone like me who lives in a small city of 50k, FSD works quite well, but as soon as I enter a big city like Toronto (6.5m), it's a crap shoot (good and bad) from there.
Yes, I live in the city and when I go to the burbs it drives like magic. However in the city it is very hit and miss with so many edge cases that are overwhelming for FSD Beta. Sunday morning avoiding construction sites it works well in the city but........that is not when most of us drive.

Lane selection is the route planing aspect, unless of course it is due to street parked vehicles.
Unfortunately, route planning is only part of lane selection choice. If you are following a car that is going slower than you, the car will move to an open lane to pass it. It will then move over to the right lane if it can.

At some point, more weight is given to route lane selection over speed. It is also at this point that the two begin fighting for lane selection, as well as dealing with vehicles that might be in the way of lane planning for the route.

This results in the turn signal blinking in a non-sensical manner, and the car moving to lanes it isn’t signaling for, changing lanes rapidly, etc.

IMO, it doesn’t start lane planning for the route nearly as early as it should.

Unfortunately, route planning is only part of lane selection choice. If you are following a car that is going slower than you, the car will move to an open lane to pass it. It will then move over to the right lane if it can.

At some point, more weight is given to route lane selection over speed. It is also at this point that the two begin fighting for lane selection, as well as dealing with vehicles that might be in the way of lane planning for the route.

This results in the turn signal blinking in a non-sensical manner, and the car moving to lanes it isn’t signaling for, changing lanes rapidly, etc.

IMO, it doesn’t start lane planning for the route nearly as early as it should.
Yup. You have documented the issue as experienced very well.