Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair the lanes are right between two lights. The first is a pretty goofy intersection. The second one is pretty bad stoplight placement too. Interns putting those up?

yRQcYF8.jpg
Looks fine to me. Each of those lights is a dual-function two-lane light. One has a left arrow and green, and the other has a right arrow and green. It is unusual to see both of those things at a single intersection, but that's a fairly minor point.

Current Autopilot suite has always required alertness and readiness to take over at anytime.... Yet ALL my trips have been less stressful because of Autopilot!
To be fair what we put our ap or fsd though is fairly simple compared to the scenarios the beta testers deal with. I feel ap/fsd works mostly fine on the highways and do find it is beneficial. But I’m torn between whether fsd beta in its current form would alleviate or cause stress on the city streets where it is dealing with much more dynamic situations. I guess it would depend on where you drive. Areas like downtown Santa Ana would probably be more stressful while Irvine would be fairly relaxing.

Last edited:
23:10 - disengagement. truck backing out of driveway ahead. Looked like AP would have tried to pass behind the still backing up truck so driver hit the brake. It might have stopped by itself, but the driver rightfully didn’t wait.
This was strange. Basic reasoning says, that if projectile in front of you is moving from right to left, it is easier to pass it from the right side.

Did Tesla start offering their own insurance in some countries? I thought I saw some time ago that they were making moves into motor insurance which seems to me the only way they will be able to make the L2 to L4 transition until there is established risk data in each market territory.

They did in California, and supposedly they're going to roll it out into other states.

Initially I saw it as a necessary step to simplify insurance whether it was in autonomous mode or in manual mode. That way the vehicle was covered either way.

But, what you said makes a lot of sense as well. Where it simplifies coverage for L2 accidents that happen when the driver believes they didn't even get a chance to take over before an accident happened.

The don't drive in the parking strip or into holes rule is pretty simple though. or
Let's just take the "parking strip" part. Is that defined as a kind of a "lane" that
isn't sufficiently marked by white or yellow lines, or green space for bikes, but
just a thin etched line separating areas of concrete, either the same or different texture
or color? So then, would that be "nondriveable space", inviolable under any conditions, as
if for a curb or a median in the city or a concrete barrier on a freeway?

OK, that definition would have been useful for another v9 beta video taken in San Francisco,
wherein the driver took an unprotected left but then the Tesla almost augered in
to a parked car in said "strip", requiring intervention (though it may have stopped in
time, and a possible rear-end collision would be chalked up to any unfortunate driver
from behind.)

However, if you define such a demarcation as "no go", it could mean death on a freeway.
There is much in the way of scored concrete within lanes on or near bridges (SF Bay Bridge),
overpasses, near exit ramps etc, going in different directions and often
signifying nothing. If this demarcation would be considered just like a
hard lane, all sorts of injurious confusion would ensue.

OK then, say it's context-dependent, city vs. freeway. When should a car drive over
this line, or other lane markings -- to avoid a parked car, a stopped truck, sure, why not?
But the logic has to be "fuzzy", not binary, and to be sure the path planning folks do not have it
easy. It's not strictly a neural net-based determination.

Path planning must be the worst bear, possibly requiring reams of error-prone spaghetti code.

Last edited:
Let's just take the "parking strip" part. Is that defined as a kind of a "lane" that
isn't sufficiently marked by white or yellow lines, or green space for bikes, but
just a thin etched line separating areas of concrete, either the same or different texture
or color? So then, would that be "nondriveable space", inviolable under any conditions, as
if for a curb or a median in the city or a concrete barrier on a freeway?

OK, that definition would have been useful for another v9 beta video taken in San Francisco,
wherein the driver took an unprotected left but then the Tesla almost augered in
to a parked car in said "strip", requiring intervention (though it may have stopped in
time, and a possible rear-end collision would be chalked up to any unfortunate driver
from behind.)

However, if you define such a demarcation as "no go", it could mean death on a freeway.
There is much in the way of scored concrete within lanes on or near bridges (SF Bay Bridge),
overpasses, near exit ramps etc, going in different directions and often
signifying nothing. If this demarcation would be considered just like a
hard lane, all sorts of injurious confusion would ensue.

OK then, say it's context-dependent, city vs. freeway. When should a car drive over
this line, or other lane markings -- to avoid a parked car, a stopped truck, sure, why not?
But the logic has to be "fuzzy", not binary, and to be sure the path planning folks do not have it
easy. It's not strictly a neural net-based determination.

Path planning must be the worst bear, possibly requiring reams of error-prone spaghetti code.
Yeah, it seems impossibly difficult. There are many situations where you would drive in that space. I'm not sure what you're talking about with regards to SF freeways, aren't you always driving in a marked lane?
I think they are using a neural net to do path planning which is probably why it tried to pass the car. Somehow it was close enough to similar situations where that was the appropriate action? Maybe it will work if you add spaghetti code guardrails to keep the neural net from doing crazy stuff? It seems like they're still struggling with the problem of determining where the car can physically drive which should be relatively easy if you can accurately map the environment.

1:35 - moron tries a rolling stop at a stop sign without really looking and ends up stopping way too late, the Tesla stops and gives up its right of way because the guy stopped over the crosswalk.

5:00 - car handles whats Essentially a stop sign and an unprotected straight with a decent amount of traffic flawlessly.

6:35 - car handles a decently difficult unprotected left at a stop sign with a difficult angle and obstructed visuals to the left flawlessly. Frenchie mentioned that he was having trouble seeing through the windows of the parked car to the left, but it looked like the Tesla was rendering the on coming cars very well. I am impressed. it probably helped that the car had so much space to creep forward.

9:10- car handles another unprotected left well. This One was much simpler.

Very good drive. One accidental disengagement and one because Frenchie didn't think the car was going to slow down for a speed bump.

My lack of understanding of American idioms and culture is evident. I don’t understand this response.

Is it meant to say that i’m childish or grumpy old man or something else?
well, its a sort of continuous spectrum. onions on one side and chocolate parfaits on the other side (everyone loves parfaits...).

I suppose strawberries are somewhere toward the chocolate side. definitely not toward the onion side.

One accidental disengagement and one because Frenchie didn't think the car was going to slow down for a speed bump.
The speed bump thing is very much in the category of "drive like I drive!" issues. Now I don't know the details of these roads or how aggressive the bumps are or how sensitive the suspension of this particular car is. But in general, the intent of a speed bump is to keep you at a reasonable speed, which on city roads means the speed limit. Taking them at the speed limit is at least supposed to be fine.

But some drivers hate them with a fiery passion and slow way, way down anyway. In this case Frenchie saw the car approaching a bump at 25 mph on a (presumptively) 25mph road and slowed all the way down to 12mph! I mean, OK. But that's not the way I drive speed bumps. Apparently the Tesla thinks like me and not Frenchie.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
The speed bump thing is very much in the category of "drive like I drive!" issues. Now I don't know the details of these roads or how aggressive the bumps are or how sensitive the suspension of this particular car is. But in general, the intent of a speed bump is to keep you at a reasonable speed, which on city roads means the speed limit. Taking them at the speed limit is at least supposed to be fine.

But some drivers hate them with a fiery passion and slow way, way down anyway. In this case Frenchie saw the car approaching a bump at 25 mph on a (presumptively) 25mph road and slowed all the way down to 12mph! I mean, OK. But that's not the way I drive speed bumps. Apparently the Tesla thinks like me and not Frenchie.
You might get air at 25 mph. Pretty sure everything else in my trunk will.

The one on the screen at 5:34? Come on. We have those all over my neighborhood too. If you don't like them you don't like them, but a ~3" bump over 15' isn't going to lift a car in the air.
I haven’t seen the video. Hence I’m not talking that one specifically. I’m saying if I take speed bumps or speed humps (popular in my area) at the speed limit, I could potentially get air and definitely get enough up/down movement to significantly shift my cargo around.

Also, the effects of the bump/hump depends on the car.

Taking a speed bump in my neighborhood over 3-4 mph would cause my model S to scrape. I have never encountered a speed bump you can take at the speed limit.

Taking a speed bump in my neighborhood over 3-4 mph would cause my model S to scrape. I have never encountered a speed bump you can take at the speed limit.
What I enjoy is hitting the speed bump on my e-bike at 25mph (in a 25mph zone), and then looking back at the motorist that has to slow down for the speed bump. Sure eventually they catch back up, but for that one moment I'm beating the car.

In any case speed bumps are something that humans both gauge, and they learn from.

It's also dependent on what I'm carrying with me. If I'm in my Jeep I don't usually have to slow down too much unless my passenger has coffee, and I like the passenger.

It's also weight dependent.

Back when I had my 2015 Model S I accidently scrapped on a speed bump I had no issues with at other times. Why? Because I had 4 adults with me in the car.

Speed Bumps, Pot Holes, etc are all things the car is going to have to contend with. Unless they want to give free CyberTrucks to every FSD owner. That's fine by me too.