Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
note, I HATE the mechanical liability of PTZ mechanism, but it has to be solved, solved for car temps and vibration (and lots of abuse), but you know, this is a solved problem, mostly. outdoor ptz cameras can be bought and designed to be ruggedized. its some work but not rocket science ;)

you also need a good suspension or good software to do the stabilization.

this adds cost.

elon hates cost.

but cost is a necessary thing when 5 nines come into play (life and death).

its always helpful to keep the end goal in mind: human beings trusting their lives to the hw/sw. in that aspect, cost is 100% irrelevant to me.
I don’t think ptz is realistic for full self driving. Imagine coding to interpret what you are seeing from an video whose point of veiw isn’t constant? That seems like it would add another degree of freedom to the fsd problem...

Reactions: jabloomf1230
I don't know if this is the final word but Brandon Tweeted this at midnight CA time.

1628927669693.png

What if there wasn't until you went into that lane? In general the car would still have to figure it out without relying only on other cars.

I don't know about Europe, but the USA has center left turn lanes, where it is expected to have opposing traffic come your way. Opposing traffic does not mean you are improperly in a lane. So definitely there is a need to check the lines.
27hop.gif
In Arizona the operation shown for the entering car is illegal. If the road has a center bidirectional turn lane aka Suicide Lane, it can only be used for turning left to exit the roadway as the red car is doing, not as a pause lane or acceleration lane when entering. Likewise it is illegal to pause at a gap in the median when turning left to enter into divided roadways, though people do it all the time.

If there were actual biweekly updates, I'd be seriously tempering my expectations of what they would include and fix when it seems established software companies can barely push out a handful of updates per year without breaking a bunch of other stuff in the process

@ 31:00ish

How is there not a hard rule ensuring there must be agreement between blinker and turn direction? Signaling one way and turning the other is so dangerous, like you could be forgiven for thinking the car is intentionally behaving badly here

It would be better to not use the communication devices at all than indicate the exact opposite of what the car is actually doing

Just watched again and realized that doesn't even look like a left turn lane

You also use it outdoors with the signal source up in the air. That's line of sight, point-to-point, with no multipath interference. That's approximately the easiest wireless environment to deal with. Just shout loudly enough to get the signal to the destination and you're done. The only reason they even need MIMO for that is because they want to keep the transmission power down for battery life reasons.

Contrast that with a car, where you'll have interference from other similar cars nearby, huge amounts of metal between you and the signal source, multipath galore (including from nearby concrete or rock walls, ceilings, bridges, asphalt, cars, etc.), and lots of interference from other 2.4 GHz sources (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi) actively in use within your car. It's an entirely different kind of signaling. And other frequency bands would be saner in that regard, but more problematic because of less penetration through whatever materials the vehicle is made of.

I'm just not convinced that it's feasible. Multiplexing multiple signals on the same wire (e.g. side cameras up at the top of the windshield at both sides with wires running under the headliner from a modified central camera assembly, or extra cameras built into the side repeaters) probably is, and seems like a much more reasonable and reliable approach.
same wire means that if there is a fault on that wire or trunk, you're toast.

that wont meet asil-d specs, imho. you are not safety-rated if you dont go to extra pains to ensure, to your best ability, that if A fails it wont take B down with it.

the wire does not have to fail; the endpoint on that wire could fail, the switch port could fail, the station could be in 'babbling idiot' mode (yes, that's a real thing and the actual name of the behavior where a station wont stop transmitting due to lack of reception or some bug). so not only would you lose 1 camera for that bad wire but you'd lose anything else on that wire that needs to talk.

that's why 'structured wiring', while it does add weight and cost, its more resilient and offers higher robustness.

cutting corners on a car is NOT my cup of tea; and when I do a design, it has all the safety features in it that I can think of. other groups 'cost reduce' things but its always a fight to try to keep the things you believe in and defend the cost that they represent.

wiring is something you really do have to plan for at step 0. you can be wise and over-provision so you have spares for expansion or even repairs; but almost no one does this; they like to have just as many as they need today and that's it. again, that 'cost' thing comes into play.