Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD computer retrofit into HW2.0 Model S: Owner Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting my MCU2/HW3 upgrade right now for my HW2 (MCU1) car. They told me that HW3 in MCU1 is no problem but requires extra parts that Fremont hasn't allocated and the VINs are greyed out for HW3 (and therefore they cannot actually put a HW3 in without Fremont greenlighting the part for the particular VIN).

So I'd expect another 3-6 months (sound familiar?) before Tesla does MCU1/HW2->HW3 without MCU2 upgrade. They got our money and without a bit more, we get nothing for it. I'm willing to put it in but I can easily understand why others demand to get what they paid for insteading of being forced to pay more for something they didn't necessarily think was needed for FSD.
Your car is HW2.0? So by purchasing the MCU upgrade (which I planned to anyway) we can speed up the HW3 retrofit timeline on our HW2.0 vehicles?

Your car is HW2.0? So by purchasing the MCU upgrade (which I planned to anyway) we can speed up the HW3 retrofit timeline on our HW2.0 vehicles?

Yes, currently late may is the projected install timeframe for MCU2 upgrade vehicles vs. "late may (wink wink Tesla time)". MCU2 retrofit for HW2 used to be late march then became late April and now is Late May. I booked my appointment when it was still late april and my service center managed to order the kit for me. They are still unsure whether HW3 will take since they might not have all the parts for my HW2 car.

The amount of labor for HW3 is fairly equivalent to MCU2 (IC2 replacement being the big difference). HW2->3 still requires accessing the back of the MCU to rewire everything, including the backup camera which needs to be rerouted completely). MCU2+HW3 is also just easier for Tesla techs since that's what they are used to working on.

Anyways, TLDR: yes.

Yes, I have AP 2.0 car and just got a appointment scheduled in two weeks to do the paid MCU 2.0 and pre paid FSD upgrade.

Fingers crossed it goes well with no new rattles please. Can’t wait to have a “new” feeling car. Coming from my currently dead MCU 1.0 it should be night and day.

37076D26-DA5C-478E-8E25-C43C6BC4A291.jpeg

I picked up my previously hw2 model s with mcu1 that was just retrofitted with hw3. Got dashcam functionality too!
Congrats.

If you have MCU1 and HW3, then you're limited to how many cameras it will record. You are also limited in terms of not getting the built-in viewer.

If you have MCU2 then you get additional cameras recording along with the build-in viewer that will also pinpoint the exact time of the incident so you don't have to watch the entire 10 minutes.

Congrats.

If you have MCU1 and HW3, then you're limited to how many cameras it will record. You are also limited in terms of not getting the built-in viewer.

If you have MCU2 then you get additional cameras recording along with the build-in viewer that will also pinpoint the exact time of the incident so you don't have to watch the entire 10 minutes.

Hey... yesterday I had no camera. Today I have three. I wasn't expecting dashcam functionality at all with the retrofit so I'm pretty pleased!

Reactions: croman