Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Disengages on dark highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my return trip at night on a very dark mountain highway, I got the message to take control of the car immediately even though I had my hands on the yoke, eyes on the road and doing speed limit+5. I ended the trip and re-engaged several times without any success. I have v12(2024.14.9) installed. During daylight hours, it works like a champ. Any suggestions?

If it can't see enough, it will disable. See what the specific disablement warning is by clicking the Red triangle with Exclamation mark inside on the top of the screen when it disengages. They will likely makes things better, but mine disables sometimes during downpours. I haven't used FSD on dark back county one lane roads with no lines, but I bet it wouldn't work there either.

Upvote 0
On my return trip at night on a very dark mountain highway, I got the message to take control of the car immediately even though I had my hands on the yoke, eyes on the road and doing speed limit+5. I ended the trip and re-engaged several times without any success. I have v12(2024.14.9) installed. During daylight hours, it works like a champ. Any suggestions?
I think the FSD disconnect is more a result of poorly marked or faded lane markers than a dark road.

If the cameras could clearly see reflective paint lane markers I suspect FSD wouldn’t have had an issue.

Upvote 0