Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD has a mind of its own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With FSD 12.3.3 (and perhaps before) I have a very odd thing: driving down a straight road in town with FSD on, NAV off, when I come to a certain intersection, the car signals and turns onto the cross street. It seems to do this whenever I pass this intersection. One more little quirk.

Did you know that with Nav off, FSD will look at your Calendar (if integrated) to see if there is an upcoming appointment to decide where to go, otherwise, it will go Home? Does that help explain it?
Is that behavior documented somewhere? I haven’t heard that before, but it’s interesting. I rarely use FSD without navigation, but I don’t recall the car ever taking turns regardless of what’s in my calendar.

That's not how that feature works, it doesn't set some secret nav route thats hidden from you. Auto navigation just pre-populates the destination when the driver sits down to either work or home or a calendar event. If there's no route on the screen then it will just drive following the roadway without any particular destination.

Reactions: gsmith123
Not sure if it changed, but I found this in latest manual:

To Use Full Self-Driving (Beta)​

Once Full Self-Driving (Beta) is enabled, activate it the same way you would Autosteer (see Autosteer).
  1. Enter a destination. If you do not choose a destination, Model S chooses the most probable driving path or suggests a destination based on your driving.