Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know FSD is optional as the hardware comes with the vehicle but software is optional. I know I can get subscription whenever I want it activated.
Why would someone pay 10k upfront to get the software rights? And then In future if I sell my vehicle with paid FSD is it transferable?

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476
I know FSD is optional as the hardware comes with the vehicle but software is optional. I know I can get subscription whenever I want it activated.
Why would someone pay 10k upfront to get the software rights? And then In future if I sell my vehicle with paid FSD is it transferable?
The FSD purchase is paid off after 4 years versus the subscription. So if you plan on owning the vehicle for more than 4 years it’s an easy choice.

It will also transfer with the sale of the vehicle and Tesla will pay more for the vehicle if you trade it in. So there is residual value to it which the subscription lacks. So if you buy FSD, own the car for 3 years and sell it, it will sell for some amount more than a car without it. So it may make more sense financially even if you sell well before the 4 years is up. Depends on that the premium for a FSD equipped car is at the time of sale. Right now it seems like the premium is well over $5000 so easily worth it.

Upvote 0
It's vaporware. The reality is: FSD is not fully baked and we're no where close to fully autonomous driving. I don't care what Elon Musk says. He's been saying it's right around the corner since at least 2017. The FSD take rate has also declined precipitously over the years because the inclined are starting to see there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Ask yourself this: has the functionality of FSD improved drastically from when it cost $3,000 to the current cost of $10,000?

Upvote 0
It's vaporware. The reality is: FSD is not fully baked and we're no where close to fully autonomous driving. I don't care what Elon Musk says. He's been saying it's right around the corner since at least 2017. The FSD take rate has also declined precipitously over the years because the inclined are starting to see there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Ask yourself this: has the functionality of FSD improved drastically from when it cost $3,000 to the current cost of $10,000?
I rather enjoy it. Have had FSD Beta for months and it’s been wonderful. Half baked would be buying a technology car without the technology.

Upvote 0
Do you even own a Tesla?

This topic has been recycled nearly as much as range anxiety.

Upvote 0
I rather enjoy it. Have had FSD Beta for months and it’s been wonderful. Half baked would be buying a technology car without the technology.
That's not what half baked means. FSD in its current state does not reflect the desired state, full stop. There's no debating that. It's a fact. What you're explaining is fraud or a bait and switch. There's some functionality to FSD but it's just not there yet and candidly, what they're saying it will do is far off. It's not "right around the corner".

Upvote 0
That's not what half baked means. FSD in its current state does not reflect the desired state, full stop. There's no debating that. It's a fact. What you're explaining is fraud or a bait and switch. There's some functionality to FSD but it's just not there yet and candidly, what they're saying it will do is far off. It's not "right around the corner".
I think it’s going to be a lot closer to 2 years than 10 years out. But I haven’t paid for it and won’t until it actually works. I would be frustrated if I’d bought it 9 months ago under the assumption it was just around the corner when clearly was not.

I do think it’s awesome that Tesla is doing hard things. Just not willing to pony up cash for it personally.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would think that I'd use it more for long range trips then simply driving around town. I happen to enjoy driving locally, but if I'm driving to, say, San Francisco and it's a six hour drive, I'd enjoy being able to take a break from fully paying attention to the road and let the autonomous driving take over.

For my purposes... I'll simply pay the $200/month on those months I know I'll be driving out of town.

Again, that's me. I could understand how other people would feel it's totally worth the $10k, and may perhaps prefer to finance that cost.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would think that I'd use it more for long range trips then simply driving around town. I happen to enjoy driving locally, but if I'm driving to, say, San Francisco and it's a six hour drive, I'd enjoy being able to take a break from fully paying attention to the road and let the autonomous driving take over.

For my purposes... I'll simply pay the $200/month on those months I know I'll be driving out of town.

Again, that's me. I could understand how other people would feel it's totally worth the $10k, and may perhaps prefer to finance that cost.
I feel similar, though the number of months where I could justify $200 for the service is pretty much zero. Which I suspect is why I don’t own it or subscribe.

I do have a few trips a month where I was thinking it would be nice, but they are so far between it would be hard to justify.

Upvote 0
I feel similar, though the number of months where I could justify $200 for the service is pretty much zero. Which I suspect is why I don’t own it or subscribe.

I do have a few trips a month where I was thinking it would be nice, but they are so far between it would be hard to justify.
I keep thinking about it for a long trip, but you still get nags... if I could keep my hands off the wheel for hours at a time like I can in my Prius with OpenPilot ($800 add-on), I'd be WAY more likely to buy it.

Reactions: 804son and Ogre
Upvote 0
makes sense but when you can enjoy tech with a nominal subscription then why would you spend substantial amount?
Because in most cases you can recoup a major portion of the base price at resale vs monthly rental which is lost return. Would be valuable to hear responses for those that Have FSD vs those that read or speculate about it. I find it very useful and improving greatly with each update.

Upvote 0
I'd love to see Tesla offer structured deals on FSD. Something like $10 per day / $200 per month / $2,000 per year / $10,000 unlimited.

If you only take a couple trips per year, pay by the day. If you are taking a summer cross country trip, pay for a month. If you want to use it all the time but don't plan on keeping the car past 5 years, pay by the year. If you have $10k burning a hole in your pocket, pay for unlimited.

Reactions: Ogre
Upvote 0
The Tesla Y FSD is vaper wear. I paid for it two and a half years ago and still don't have it. Don't waste your money on it.

Upvote 0