Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD increasing by $1K 11/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well, the thing is that Tesla is not really so much a car company company as a software and car company.

as software becomes more and more important in terms of purchase decision factor, the cars are going to be seen more and more as tablets on wheels.

Microsoft has been doing the transferable license dance for a while now.

on the opposite end, why buy a license for a work in progress software without a hard commited delivery date? our tablet on wheels may very well loose it's wheels of old age before we get what we paid for.

a trasnferable license is a win win for everybody, I think

It's a win if Tesla wants to set another record EPS loss.

as much profit as they can...

<snicker> Profit and Tesla are two words that absolutely do not go together right now.

To someone who's only "given it a try" and has been put off by shortcomings, it may not be instantly convincing. You'll be back. To someone on a short-term lease, or someone who's a devoted gearhead manual driver, it may not be worth it at all. An SR+ (with a third party $100 subwoofer) is a phenomenal value at $39k, and a remarkable car. Peace.
p.s. As to why Musk included as much AP in the base models, I think it's to honor his promise of a $35k smart EV. Hats off to him.

Hell, I wish they would GIVE me a try. They're supposed to have a free trial, but they can't decide to do it...they can't even decide to take it off their website.

BTW, The $35K model doesn't have AP, I should know.

They wouldn't dead-end their software revenue.
"I'll buy this if I NEVER have to pay again for enabling it on another Tesla vehicle." That's exactly what you are doing. I assume you think that's going to be priced at same amount, too? LOL

You don't have anywhere near a grasp on the value here. I paid $5,000 software-only upgrade with a list of features shorter than what FSD is currently. I considered that ridiculously good value.

I've since paid another $2000 to get in on the hardware upgrade and the features that come along. That's an okay value proposition in my books. If/when they deliver a reliable stop sign/red light feature it'll be back into deal of the century territory.

If you take a good hard look around at what pale comparisons of this are priced at on other automobiles there really isn't any other way to reasonably read it if they are features you want. If they aren't features you want then setting the product up as a "forever package" (and pricing to make that feasible) isn't going to help.

P.S. In your case, you say you'll buy it in 5 years with the next vehicle? So be it, that's when Tesla will get your $8K or whatever. You really aren't in their target market for this now. That's really largely the case with the lower end of the Model 3 market. That's the root of why the restructured the Autopilot products, and flipped the pricing steps upside down and then made the bottom step non-optional (unless you phoned in for the $35K stripper).

Last edited:
Tesla obviously thinks the all or nothing upgrade makes them more money than selling tiers. If you’re only interested in smart summon it’s $6k. Maybe you only like auto lane change. Well it’s $6k. It’s the same for the premium vs partial premium interior. A friend of mine just bought a SR+ because he only drives 2-300 kms a week. He’s well off and could afford the LR but doesn’t need it. He’d like heated rear seats and the satellite view maps. That upgrade is about $17k CND in Ontario factoring in the federal rebate for the SR+. Sure you get other stuff but if you don’t care about it, it’s not of value. They need to find a way to get some of that $17k out of a buyers pocket. Same with FSD. In Canada it’s $7900. They must truly believe getting $0 is better than getting $2000 per feature.

Curious about the third party $100 subwoofer? link?

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-WX1210A-enclosure-subwoofer-amplifier/dp/B0794XV3VN/

It's gone up and down in price, but it's in the $100 ballpark. I have the premium interior so I didn't need it, but this looks like a very plausible choice. It should do the trick in the Model 3, unless you must have window-cracking sound pressure. There's a 10" version as well. It has many ways to wire it in, the simplest probably being to tap whatever nearby full range speaker that isn't high-pass filtered.

Supply and Demand, if enough people buy it at 7k, then the price is 7k. If there are not enough people buying it, then Tesla would have to drop it in price.

Just like Iphone when it was at 749 starting price, sales wasn't high enough. Drop it to 699, boom sales going way up. I believe the smart thing for Tesla to do is to lower the price for FSD especially considering FSD is not coming ANYTIME SOON. Just imagine the regulatory approval process that's involved from state to state.

Tesla obviously thinks the all or nothing upgrade makes them more money than selling tiers. If you’re only interested in smart summon it’s $6k. Maybe you only like auto lane change. Well it’s $6k. ...They must truly believe getting $0 is better than getting $2000 per feature.

The way machine control software works is that everything interacts. Making multiple versions or branches requires that each be fully tested, because new problems/bugs appear whenever you mess with a stable release. This is extremely costly in added skilled manpower, and detracts from the main task at hand. Impractical.

Tesla obviously thinks the all or nothing upgrade makes them more money than selling tiers.
Technically, they changed to make the bottom tier a compulsory purchase, unless you bought the SR. So in that sense it is still tiered as before.

What you seem to be talking about isn’t tiers but rather an ala carte menu of separate features. That tends to get complicated to sell. This isn’t the only place Tesla trends towards minimizing purchase decisions.

They will eventually charge a monthly fee for this service once it is mainstream ready. 100 bucks a month, which would equate to 6k over the 5yr period. Worth it for ppl that pick up new car frequently but not as much for ppl who keep their cars longer. I would def pay a monthly and not worry about the FSD traveling with me into the new car. I need it great, pay the monthly, I don't need it in the new car, then don't turn it on. Easy peasy and I am sure the price point can be experimented at which the revenue stream is stable and lucrative enough for both parties.

I suspect this will happen sooner than later, but may require some type of activation fee. I also believe it will be more than $100/month.