Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is Dealer Markup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but one of the big things the Tesla crew had over the traditional car makers, during the order process, was no dealer markups. Based on the recent changes pushing FSD that are punishing those who previously ordered non-FSD.. I'd argue that FSD is now now different than Dealer Markup. In fact, it might be worse because most of the dealer markups top out at $10k, where as FSD is more and increasing in price every few months.

Some dealers charge a market adjustment which is a pure markup on the vehicle. Other dealers add a bunch of overpriced accessories or packages and force that on you. The ladder is slightly more tolerable because at least your getting something for your money right?

Tesla is not able to meet demand and so it is delivering performance models first and then customers who buy LR model with FSD get priority over those that don’t. While it isn’t very customer focused to do this I don’t think it’s the same as a dealer markup. With FSD your getting a software package and one that will only improve with time. Tesla isn’t forcing you to add it you just have to wait longer for a vehicle without it.

The way I understand it FSD only priorities LR order and performance models get no additional priority by adding FSD. My wife and I decided to add it for the reasons above.

Reactions: preilly44
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but one of the big things the Tesla crew had over the traditional car makers, during the order process, was no dealer markups. Based on the recent changes pushing FSD that are punishing those who previously ordered non-FSD.. I'd argue that FSD is now now different than Dealer Markup. In fact, it might be worse because most of the dealer markups top out at $10k, where as FSD is more and increasing in price every few months.
Besides the point made below about actually getting something for it, they no longer are giving a big prioritization to people that purchase it.

There absolutely, positively 100% is no such thing as:

In fact, it might be worse because most of the dealer markups top out at $10k

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 10.11.31 AM.png

"market constraint" = 50k. Yeah its on a more expensive vehicle, but OP your premise is flawed on a number of levels (pretty much the entire premise) but this particular statement that "dealer markups top out at 10k" is pretty laughable. Right now, dealer markups on Hyundai's are 10-15k many times, so there is no such thing as that statement.

The rest of the premise is either more "I dont like FSD" or "lets get conversation going". Filed under "this is reason XXXXXXX why we cant have nice things", Tesla tried to do something other commercial entities do, and serve people who were spending more money, but got burned for it (especially when those people were like "Im gonna buy this, oh, wait, no im not". They then removed that loophole, and it was removed before today (03/30/2022) when this OP made this post:

(article date = 4 days ago)

So, the loophole didnt exist when the OP made this post, yet the OP is trying to equate a no longer in existence loophole with standard dealer pack, and couching it with "this may be an unpopular opinion".

Opinions are personal, so no one can tell anyone else how to think, but the entire premise of FSD = dealerpack because they are forcing it on you for an order is flawed.

I hear what your saying, I just think you worded it incorrectly. FSD is more of a dealer add-on, then a mark up. Tesla raising prices since January 2021 would be more assimilated to a dealer mark up.

Your opinion loses ground when you realize that FSD provides an actual tangible benefit to the purchaser.
Can someone's opinion lose ground, its an opinion? Also, "an actual tangible benefit to the purchaser" is very subjective. Some may say that interior coating, or nitrogen filled tires provide a benefit to the purchaser. That purchaser may be planning to track their Honda Odyssey and then vomit afterwards. Hence the nitrogen filled tires and interior protective coating would have been a benefit to the purchaser.
I am still waiting to see what the actual tangible benefit is for FSD compared to the standard auto pilot. Other than auto lane change, FSD doesn't provide $12k worth of actual tangible benefit to me. So does my opinion lose ground?

I hear what your saying, I just think you worded it incorrectly. FSD is more of a dealer add-on, then a mark up. Tesla raising prices since January 2021 would be more assimilated to a dealer mark up.

Can someone's opinion lose ground, its an opinion? Also, "an actual tangible benefit to the purchaser" is very subjective. Some may say that interior coating, or nitrogen filled tires provide a benefit to the purchaser. That purchaser may be planning to track their Honda Odyssey and then vomit afterwards. Hence the nitrogen filled tires and interior protective coating would have been a benefit to the purchaser.
I am still waiting to see what the actual tangible benefit is for FSD compared to the standard auto pilot. Other than auto lane change, FSD doesn't provide $12k worth of actual tangible benefit to me. So does my opinion lose ground?
You're missing the point.. no one is forcing you to add FSD to your order, you just may get your order later (or you may not once Austin starts delivering cars).

The two are nowhere near in the same category or benefit proposition as FSD?
Depending on where you live, undercoating would be more beneficial than FSD. Just ask anyone who owns a frame rusted Tacoma.

You're missing the point.. no one is forcing you to add FSD to your order, you just may get your order later (or you may not once Austin starts delivering cars).
Car dealerships don't typically force dealer add ons either, at least pre-pandemic. You would just say no to the list of crap or tell them you're not paying for it.

Perhaps word choice is incorrect. Mark up it is not. Prioritized it is. You still get your car at stated cost. Just later. This is capitalism. We all participate but when it doesn’t go our way we banter how wrong it is. All is good. When gigatexas opens up and the million cars it’ll pump we can all have nice things together. Cheers.

Reactions: pcmike