Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD on Older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

I know in late 2016, Tesla introduced the Model S that was capable of FSD. Is there a difference between a newer Model 3 FSD and a 2016.5/2017 Model S that has FSD? Do they both have the same autopilot computer and capabilities? Trying to compare the two models.

Thanks!

"Computer" - probably not. But lots of if-then s.

"FSD Capabilities" - That's a long and debatable answer. I would lean towards slightly yes on current capabilities, but hopefully definitely not in the longer term.

Needs more info about specific cars. Just keep digging on here isn't a bad thing. You will find out a lot that you didn't know you might need to know.

If you like the M3 and it meets your needs, then a newer one with HW3 / FSD avoids a lot of what ifs you get going the MS route. But if you really prefer the MS, then no option imo but to start getting stuck in to the many pro's / con's and finer points. If you fancy a gamble on a private party sale (or better direct from Tesla) with MCU1 and paid FSD, then you MIGHT end up getting luck with MCU2 update (or significant longterm fix to MCU1) and HW3 upgrade. But lots of ifs....

Last edited:
Ouch. Now my car is an "older" Tesla.

Even with the MCU2 and fsd computer, there are differences but in terms of user experience the differences are almost imperceptible. They'll have the same features but newer cars vibrate the steering wheel instead is chime before auto lane change with NoA. Can't think of another user difference.

• Funny
Reactions: Battpower
Thanks to both of you. I know the M3 either comes with or will be upgraded to HW3 with FSD, but wasn’t sure if the MS 2016.5/2017 would also have HW3 so that the technology with regard to autopilot would be comparable even in the next 5 years.

Thanks to both of you. I know the M3 either comes with or will be upgraded to HW3 with FSD, but wasn’t sure if the MS 2016.5/2017 would also have HW3 so that the technology with regard to autopilot would be comparable even in the next 5 years.

If it has the FSD option, it will have hw3 eventually. Note you'll need mcu2 to have the same features. It's a further 2500 upgrade.

I've got a 2016 with hw3 and mcu2.

thanks for the info! If you had MCU1 with FSD, and you upgrade to MCU 2 for $2,500 will they install HW3 or do you have to pay for that upgrade too?

HW3 is included with FSD regardless of MCU. Currently all FSD features run fine (stop sign/light is only real FSD feature at present) on MCU1 but it is other features such as dashcam that seem hobbled. Other media features obviously do not run on MCU1.