Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD preview question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick question.
I have 2.5 so I don't get the FSD preview and visualization.

I was wondering if every model 3 that have HW 3.0 even if they did not purchase FSD still get FSD preview (more detailed visualization such as traffic light etc) or only those who purchased FSD are able to turn this on.

Thank you.

Agreed, same here. I had FSD on my 2016 Model S and it was a massive waste of money at $5,000 for a 3 year lease. I won’t pay for it on my Model 3 unless they release some truly amazing functionality. Base autopilot has 99% of the functionality I would every use on any kind of a regular basis.

Everyone with HW3 can view the FSD preview. I do not have FSD purchased but can see traffic lights.

Agreed, same here. I had FSD on my 2016 Model S and it was a massive waste of money at $5,000 for a 3 year lease. .

That number is a bit confusing to me.

In 2016 (and for years after, it only majorly changed in early 2019) adding FSD to a car before delivery was only $3000 on a purchase.

On a lease it would have been even less (since it pro-rated based on residual value- so more like 1300ish or so?)

$5000 was the price for EAP (which would also have been pro-rated for residual, and also unlike FSD, actually delivered a ton of real features during those 3 years)

That number is a bit confusing to me.

In 2016 (and for years after, it only majorly changed in early 2019) adding FSD to a car before delivery was only $3000 on a purchase.

On a lease it would have been even less (since it pro-rated based on residual value- so more like 1300ish or so?)

$5000 was the price for EAP (which would also have been pro-rated for residual, and also unlike FSD, actually delivered a ton of real features during those 3 years)

You are correct. I had the two options confused. It was a waste of a mere $3,000 rather than $5,000. In the end the money for FSD wasn’t that important as the total purchase price was almost $180,000 for my Model S including taxes, etc. and by the time my lease was up you could get the same car for closer to $120,000 including taxes. I paid about $20,000 at signing and monthly payments of almost $2,400. It is much cheaper to get a MS Performance currently, but FSD was a complete waste of money then and still is today.