Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price increases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... still haven't seen a steering nag on mine. I use the AP a lot as well.

I guess my normal way of holding the wheel puts just enough toque on it to stop the nags.

If I hold the wheel normally with two hands the net torque cancels out and I often get nags. If I hold it one handed then it tends to avoid nags. But really if I'm holding the wheel at all then I might as well be steering, just for something to do. This is my realisation after 18 months of "playing" with EAP/FSD. It is actually TACC that I find more useful than the shonky auto steer, which is more of a novelty, even if it does work quite well on motorways.

Or alternatively it just made you complacent, which is not a good thing with FSD.
I think it was more that I wasn't concentrating on which lane to go into and was just sitting in the M4/M25 lane which subsequently turns into an M4/Heathrow lane. I've yet to rely on NoA to get me from A to B and treat it as more of an experience to see how the car copes with unaided driving. In my experience it does leave the exit lane change until the last moment which is probably why it caught me off guard.

I have found that if I hold the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand and letting it take the weight of my arm, it's happy and it doesn't nag me. I think there will likely be a phase with FSD where its slightly better than it is now but still not level 4/5. During that period it will be easier to loose focus which will ironically make it more dangerous. Right now, it requires focus from the driver.

I have found that if I hold the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand and letting it take the weight of my arm, it's happy and it doesn't nag me. I think there will likely be a phase with FSD where its slightly better than it is now but still not level 4/5. During that period it will be easier to loose focus which will ironically make it more dangerous. Right now, it requires focus from the driver.

So basically it encourages you to hold the steering wheel badly i.e. one-handed at the bottom. If you hold the steering wheel properly i.e. two handed on the sides you get loads of nags unless you deliberately tug on one side, which I find quite irritating. It really is quite a poor solution when you think about it.

So basically it encourages you to hold the steering wheel badly i.e. one-handed at the bottom. If you hold the steering wheel properly i.e. two handed on the sides you get loads of nags unless you deliberately tug on one side, which I find quite irritating. It really is quite a poor solution when you think about it.
I’m slowly getting used to the feel of the M3 steering wheel. When I first drove it on Friday I was constantly disengaging AP by moving the wheel too much. This is because I had to do that on the Kona, otherwise I got constant nags. The Kona would also strangely nag while the steering wheel was actually being turned - around a corner or an island, for example - but Hyundai insisted it was working as designed!

I’m feeling much more confident with the Tesla hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000
Not sure what a better solution would be.

Can't remember where I read this or for which manufacturer (Nissan I think). Their self driving solution is going monitor the driver via camera so you can keep hands off the wheel without nagging. Can't imagine that being better.

Eye detection camera and steering wheel touch sensors. Basically anything that doesn't involve applying steering torque when you are not actually steering the car. A system that encourages you to hold the steering wheel properly with two hands would be a bonus. Tesla's solution nags you all the time if you actually do that.