Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price increases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From memory the full self drive price was due to increase in mid August but it doesn't look like that has happened yet?
Assume it might be because V10 has been delayed or does anyone else know why it might be?

Also is the price to upgrade after delivery the same price as ordering before delivery?

Reactions: m3p_uk
Not sure how you can justify increasing the price of something that doesn’t exist - ‘Full’ Self Driving. £5.8K seems way over-priced anyway for what the capability can do on UK roads today.

I’m happy to wait and pay more for FSD when it actually works.

I agree completely. They are yet to crack summon in a quiet, basic car park so I will believe full self driving when I see it. And I don’t expect to see it anytime soon!

Reactions: zayn
Out of interest, if you were to want to buy FSD for your car... how do you actually do it?

I’d have assume you could do it via your Tesla account but I don’t see the option.
That’s a very good question! Is there no upgrade option in the car’s menus? I know in the past they have offered a free trial on the old Autopilot, and I think that came up on the car display.

I thought he’d said price rises in Europe would be later/slower because full self driving would take longer to deliver there due to the regulatory environment. I might be wrong, though.
You’re very probably right, although I think in the past they’ve always amended prices at the same time in all markets.

I think it will be years and years before FSD is worth it here, for three reasons:

1. The crippling of NOA by the current EU regulations
2. Government testing and approval of FSD
3. Our roads are so different to the USA

If you pay for it now you are doing your bit to stop Tesla going bankrupt, but I prefer to pay for something tangible. Elon has said for years now that FSD is just around the corner. It’s a bit like nuclear fusion - it’s been ten years away since the 1950s.

I can understand what Elon is hoping to do with the price, but as other car companies enter the market with their own self-driving tech, competition will drive prices down, in just the way Autopilot is now free whereas it used to be chargeable.

I’ve said this before, but until FSD can cope with a single track country lane with passing places, it’s not FSD in the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fullerene and zayn
You’re very probably right, although I think in the past they’ve always amended prices at the same time in all markets.

I think it will be years and years before FSD is worth it here, for three reasons:

1. The crippling of NOA by the current EU regulations
2. Government testing and approval of FSD

If you pay for it now you are doing your bit to stop Tesla going bankrupt, but I prefer to pay for something tangible. Elon has said for years now that FSD is just around the corner. It’s a bit like nuclear fusion - it’s been ten years away since the 1950s.

I can understand what Elon I’d hoping to do with the price, but as other car companies enter the market with their own self-driving tech, competition will drive prices down, in just the way Autopilot is now free whereas it used to be chargeable.

I’ve said this before, but until FSD can cope with a single track country lane with passing places, it’s not FSD in the UK.

Spot on!

Reactions: Roy W.
Interestingly, once Tesla can demonstrate FSD, the current regulations don’t cover it. There’s a specific clause in the regs which are currently nerfing double-tap-autopilot, which state when a car reaches full autonomy the current regulation doesn’t apply and a future regulation which doesn’t yet exit will apply instead.

1.2. This Regulation does not apply to:
1.2.1. Steering equipment with a purely pneumatic transmission;
1.2.2. Autonomous Steering Systems as defined in paragraph 2.3.3.;
1.2.3. Steering systems exhibiting the functionality defined as ACSF of Category B2, D or E in paragraphs 2.3.4.1.3., 2.3.4.1.5., or 2.3.4.1.6., respectively, until specific provisions are introduced in this Regulation.

2.3.4.1.6 "ACSF of Category E" means a function which is initiated/activated by the driver and which can continuously determine the possibility of a manoeuvre (e.g. lane change) and complete these manoeuvres for extended periods without further driver command/confirmation

Full regs here https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/2018/R079r4e.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
From memory the full self drive price was due to increase in mid August but it doesn't look like that has happened yet?
Assume it might be because V10 has been delayed or does anyone else know why it might be?

Also is the price to upgrade after delivery the same price as ordering before delivery?

Welcome to the BS unicorn of FSD (Full Self Delusion).

Save your money until it either works or you realise that you don't actually want a self driving car.

In the meantime basic free AP is actually pretty good and much more realistic in its scope. On a single carriageway it's exactly the same as current FSD. Only thing it really lacks is semi-auto lane change. I can't help thinking Tesla shot themselves in the foot giving it away. Paying £6k for FSD is insane unless planning to keep the car for 10+ years.

Reactions: zayn and Roy W.

Actually not really so very different, I can't think of anything we have in the UK that doesn't exist in the USA.

We have more roundabouts than they do for sure, but they do have them.

We may have a higher percentage of single lane country roads with passing spots but they do still have them...

Our motorway entrances and exits are very different, but ours are actually easier to handle than theirs.

So, yes, they can probably address a larger percentage of US roads, but they will still have to deal with the same issues we have as they try to get that percentage up...

The FSD name is a bit of a misnomer, but the FSD package now contains some of the EAP functionality that people previously paid for and will be getting quite a bit of enabling features not in the previous EAP which will be unique to the FSD package.

So yes, FSD as what many think it means (does anyone outside Tesla know what really means? I suspect it will be a blur somewhere between level 3 and level 4) is likely to be quite some years away, but I think, omitting enhanced summon, there will be some good improvements and new features that will come along well before that which will satisfy more and more requirements even if they fail to deliver true level 4 or 5 autonomy.

Did someone say AP (without FSD) becomes a bit of a nag on dual carriageways though? I think you either disengage it or jerk the wheel to take over, when you want to change lanes?

Yes, you'd have bing bongs going on every time you engage or disengage to change lane. Certainly wouldn't arrive at the destination any more relaxed and any passengers are likely to have lost the will to live...

Did someone say AP (without FSD) becomes a bit of a nag on dual carriageways though? I think you either disengage it or jerk the wheel to take over, when you want to change lanes?

Yes AP is a bit crippled without lane change functionality, but auto lane change in FSD can be quite a frustration too with the mandatory 3 second wait before it activates after you signal. In busy high speed traffic I often have to override it anyway.

I’ve had FSD for about 2 months now and love playing with it. I’m not sure I would have been happy paying £5k (or whatever it was) but it came bundled with a new inventory stock so didn’t complain and got a nice discount on the whole car.

I love my tech so it’s basically an expensive toy and I’m fascinated to see how it will improve. I’ve already seen a huge improvement on lane change and aggressiveness over a few months and it saved my bacon today when I was on a call and NoA exited for me (but that’s me just not concentrating where to go). It confused me why it tried to exit and I took control but then realised what was going on.

If you’ve got the money and intrigued by automation then I’d say go for it. Hopefully I’m doing my part towards providing feedback on improving the FSD experience.

If you can put up with just ACC and want to save £5k then don’t bother with FSD. TBH I’m sure a deal will come up soon to get people to jump ship.

Yes, you'd have bing bongs going on every time you engage or disengage to change lane. Certainly wouldn't arrive at the destination any more relaxed and any passengers are likely to have lost the will to live...

The compromise is to just use TACC and do the steering yourself. No bing bongs or frustratingly slow and unreliable auto lane changes. Also no irritating steering nags either.

Reactions: DJP31