Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD should be renamed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cheese might be named "Swiss Cheese" but it might not be necessarily made in Switzerland!

Interesting analogy. Canada just ratified an extensive trade agreement with the EU, and one of the ramifications of this is that it is no longer allowed for cheeses here to be labeled as "Swiss" or even "Parmesan" if they are not from Switzerland or Parma (Italy).

I think it's a bit misleading but blame regulators for being so slow. We have multiple levels of automation coming out with different manufacturers in the next few years. They should have to tell us what it is. Call it FSD if you want but is this a level 2 or level 5 system. It should be a requirement that they tell you what it is.

I don't have a problem with the name since it's clearly a marketing term and anyone would be crazy to purchase it without understanding what they're actually getting. I do think FSD has a long way to go before I'd ever consider using it around town or in a parking lot. I have watched some of the videos and FSD gets itself into some pretty hairy situations without intervention. It also drives so slowly around corners in parking lots that I would worry about it causing road rage in another driver. But, with that said, if Tesla want to call that "Full Self Driving," it doesn't really bother me.

I agree with OP. If the car is not capable of picking me up somewhere and taking me home in the back/passenger seat, as in real/full lvl 5 automation, then calling it "Full Self Driving" should not be legally allowed.
To be fair, this is hardly a problem exclusive to to Tesla, or even transportation/cars. Truth in advertising needs to be a mandated thing that all selling widgets/goods/services are beholden to. So sick of beef not meaning beef, etc. It is so stupid. Cannot even trust the name of a thing to tell you what it really is/does. That needs to change.

Reactions: Gasman23