Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Subscription to start February 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That in China, because customers complained, they had to upgrade all of the non-FSD licensed cars to HW3, which Tesla calls the FSD computer, because they sold them with the statement that the car came with the necessary hardware, and it actually did not. (They say that it was because of a shortage of FSD computers.)

The same thing is going to end up happening in the US. They are going to have to honor the specs that they listed the car with when they sold it.

Actually, no. In China, they said all cars came with HW3 specifically. THAT is why they had to go back and retrofit it. Was much more clear and direct.

Aside from the FSD Beta, the “current” FSD code runs essentially in emulation mode on HW3. It’s not tapping into what makes HW3 insanely great ... yet.

The folks who dive deep into this stuff (including one of own own members here) can explain this better than I - but nothing that we’re using publicly is really pushing HW3.

Tesla Autopilot Mystery Solved — HW3 Full Potential Soon To Be Unlocked

The article says “So, retrofitting HW2 to HW3 in H2 2019 does not improve performance.”

That’s a long time ago. HW3 will be required for a chance at true FSD (not talking about Navigate on Autopilot) otherwise Tesla would’ve left HW2.5 as is. Where we are at today is FSD Beta needs HW3. I’m not aware of any FSD Beta cars with HW2.5. Cars were shipped with HW2.5 with the promise that they were equipped with all of the hardware necessary for full self driving.

The article says “So, retrofitting HW2 to HW3 in H2 2019 does not improve performance.”

That’s a long time ago. HW3 will be required for a chance at true FSD (not talking about Navigate on Autopilot) otherwise Tesla would’ve left HW2.5 as is. Where we are at today is FSD Beta needs HW3. I’m not aware of any FSD Beta cars with HW2.5. Cars were shipped with HW2.5 with the promise that they were equipped with all of the hardware necessary for full self driving.

I thought I was very clear above that what FSD is TODAY would run on HW2.5. What FSD Beta requires is of course wholly different.

But they have a product now called FSD, and it would run on HW2.5. That’s what I’m getting at.

That in China, because customers complained, they had to upgrade all of the non-FSD licensed cars to HW3, which Tesla calls the FSD computer, because they sold them with the statement that the car came with the necessary hardware, and it actually did not. (They say that it was because of a shortage of FSD computers.)
I didn't follow the China incident, but I'm a bit skeptical that Tesla did that just from customers complaining. Did the regulators not step in and force Tesla to do it?
Edit: As below, actually what happened is Tesla promised HW3 when the customers ordered. That's why they were liable for HW3. It had nothing to do with the statement about necessary hardware for FSD. So there still remains no precedent for Tesla just upgrading to HW3 for free for those that didn't opt for FSD.
The same thing is going to end up happening in the US. They are going to have to honor the specs that they listed the car with when they sold it.
As above, I'm not optimistic the same thing will happen in the US absent of a lawsuit or some regulator stepping in.

Actually, no. In China, they said all cars came with HW3 specifically. THAT is why they had to go back and retrofit it. Was much more clear and direct.
Thanks for that update, I googled it. You are right. Tesla was liable to install HW3 for customers in China specifically because they promised HW3 in the listing. It had nothing to do with the statement about necessary hardware for FSD.

"When customers signed up to buy the Model 3s, listings reportedly said the cars would feature “HW3” (or hardware version 3.0). Upon closer examination, owners said the cars they received actually included version 2.5 of the hardware, the reports say."
Tesla delivered cars to customers in China with lower-performance Autopilot hardware than promised

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I thought I was very clear above that what FSD is TODAY would run on HW2.5. What FSD Beta requires is of course wholly different.

But they have a product now called FSD, and it would run on HW2.5. That’s what I’m getting at.

FSD TODAY is FSD Beta. Navigate on Autopilot is not FSD. You don’t have FSD if you’re not a part of the early access program. You may have purchased FSD, but that does not mean your car is capable of Full Self Driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
FSD TODAY is FSD Beta. Navigate on Autopilot is not FSD. You don’t have FSD if you’re not a part of the early access program. You may have purchased FSD, but that does not mean your car is capable of Full Self Driving.

Unfortunately, no. Ask the accountants who’ve been releasing FSD accruals. There’s plenty of cars driving around - both of mine included - with FSD.

Smart Summon, NoA, Auto lane change, Autopark, enhanced visualizations, traffic light controls - those are all part of the FSD package, and all available today. The only part of FSD that isn’t available yet is what they call “Autosteer on city streets”. Of course that’s the big one, but the other parts of the package are available, and in fact Tesla has been rev rec’ing FSD payments as those pieces have launched. And believe me - the auditors won’t let you revrec anything that hasn’t shipped.

FSD is real. It’s not finished, but it’s real. Will it ever be “finished”? I hope not — I want it to continue to grow and get better.

Unfortunately, no. Ask the accountants who’ve been releasing FSD accruals. There’s plenty of cars driving around - both of mine included - with FSD.

Smart Summon, NoA, Auto lane change, Autopark, enhanced visualizations, traffic light controls - those are all part of the FSD package, and all available today. The only part of FSD that isn’t available yet is what they call “Autosteer on city streets”. Of course that’s the big one, but the other parts of the package are available, and in fact Tesla has been rev rec’ing FSD payments as those pieces have launched. And believe me - the auditors won’t let you revrec anything that hasn’t shipped.

FSD is real. It’s not finished, but it’s real. Will it ever be “finished”? I hope not — I want it to continue to grow and get better.

Well I guess it’s decided. The accountants have spoken. Case closed.

Well I guess it’s decided. The accountants have spoken. Case closed.
Somebody is throwing a hissy fit! Have at it! :rolleyes:
upload_2021-2-5_10-44-2.png

A3822CD2-70D0-4EFA-97F6-4A9C29EB5894.jpeg
Dude, grow up.

I disagreed with your arguments in the context of this thread...
You went through my post history on a separate thread and in less than 60 seconds "disagreed" on a slew of random posts.
Example 1: From October 2020

View attachment 634257
View attachment 634258

Whatever gets you off, I guess!

Right, you came at me with sarcasm first. If you disagree with the original statement that's totally fine. I get it.
A3822CD2-70D0-4EFA-97F6-4A9C29EB5894.jpeg

So, how about this folks:

Scrap the FSD subscription idea. Instead, offer an EAP subscription with just the EAP feature set and price it according to the last EAP offer.

Give early adopters to FSD a one-time transfer of their FSD to a new Tesla when they’re ready to buy again.

Seems fair to me. Would that make everyone happy?

works for me. I wouldn't rush out to buy a model Y though, I'd wait until FSD starts providing real features that matter over EAP since it'd only be a one time transfer.

So, how about this folks:

Scrap the FSD subscription idea. Instead, offer an EAP subscription with just the EAP feature set and price it according to the last EAP offer.

Give early adopters to FSD a one-time transfer of their FSD to a new Tesla when they’re ready to buy again.

Seems fair to me. Would that make everyone happy?
Sure but what about those who already traded their FSD tesla for a newer tesla?
I paid for a totally different FSD and not the watered down one that is sold today. I never got anything out of it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. This happened twice recently with my wife in the car and she literally screamed. Approaching a clover-leaf exit, the car slowed down for merging traffic from 75 to about 45, but as the traffic cleared, it suddenly sped back up to 75 and went careening into a tight exit loop. I now disengage early.

My wife also screams a lot in my M3 while using NoA. The car loves to take cloverleaf exits at 50+ mph. Meanwhile she's yelling "DISENGAGE! DISENGAGE!" She also screams when there's a merging lane and the car erratically swerves to center itself in the temporary wide lane. Needless to say, she's not a fan. While she's in the car, I'm no longer allowed to double push on the stalk- only single and with permission.

I usually buy a new car every few years. If I decide to upgrade to a newer model, I will not be purchasing FSD. I have no regrets buying it this time (I paid $8k), but it's just nowhere near worth $10k, or significantly more. Perhaps it will be in the future. I anticipate the subscription option won't be a big seller- likely high monthly fees, and time commitments.

Sure but what about those who already traded their FSD tesla for a newer tesla?
I paid for a totally different FSD and not the watered down one that is sold today. I never got anything out of it.

Sounds like you should get two goodwill transfers!

I’m 100% in favor of Tesla doing a solid for early FSD buyers. The marginal cost is zero and like others have said, it could literally be the difference between selling Teslas/power walls to that person in the future and never selling anything to them ever again. Literally costs nothing to rebuild that trust.

I could see someone making the argument that you bought it twice, so you were fine with it as it was. But I personally wouldn’t make that argument.