Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Subscription

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That isn't going to happen. They've already said it is going to cost more than rolling FSD into your loan/lease. (Which isn't interest free.)

There’s a breaking point where the market simply won’t bear the cost. Could they price it unattractively to attempt to spur buyers into buying FSD at point of sale? Absolutely, but it’d be a wasted opportunity.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Let’s see the numbers then!

There’s a breaking point where the market simply won’t bear the cost. Could they price it unattractively to attempt to spur buyers into buying FSD at point of sale? Absolutely.

If they make it the same cost as, or less, than buying it outright nobody would buy it with the car and Tesla would lose, or at least delay, that revenue. So the FSD subscription has to cost more than what it costs to roll it into the car purchase, including financing fees. And if it is month-to-month, with no penalty, they will lose even more revenue as people only turn it on for trips.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
If they make it the same cost as, or less, than buying it outright nobody would buy it with the car and Tesla would lose, or at least delay, that revenue. So the FSD subscription has to cost more than what it costs to roll it into the car purchase, including financing fees. And if it is month-to-month, with no penalty, they will lose even more revenue as people only turn it on for trips.
Are they actually realizing (as in fluid, usable) that full revenue at this point?

————

I’ll use my P3D+ vs our LYD (but possibly PYD) order as an example:

I would not again pay $7,000 at point of sale to add FSD personally knowing and witnessing the quirks and limitations of the system in current (or currently proposed) iteration. This is money Tesla will not see on our Model Y, period.

Would I consider turning it on for a month here and there for longer trips at a reasonable rate? Sure. That’s revenue otherwise untapped, and I’d bet money I’m not the only one who feels this way.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Are they actually realizing (as in fluid, usable) that full revenue at this point?

I think they said that they are currently recognizing ~50% of it. That would be one advantage of a subscription, they could recognize it 100% as it comes in. But they have plans for fully recognizing it by the end of the year, which is when they plan to make FSD subscriptions available, so maybe it wouldn't be an advantage.

I would not again pay $7,000 to add FSD personally knowing and witnessing the quirks and limitations of the system in current (or currently proposed) iteration. This is money Tesla will not see on our Model Y, period.

Of course the cost of FSD is supposed to go up in a couple of months, and probably again by the end of the year. So you won't even be able to buy it for $7k for much longer.

Would I consider turning it on for a month here and there for longer trips for a reasonable rate? Sure. That’s revenue otherwise untapped.

What would you consider a reasonable rate?

they will lose even more revenue as people only turn it on for trips.
I don’t get this. I use FSD functions for everyday use, like auto park, lane change. However if I went on a long road trip the main thing I would use is just basic AP!
In fact I bought FSD more for its upcoming city driving features which I will use for 99.99% of my driving which is basically all city.

Reactions: mrbulk
Musk calls it an investment. How ?

It is an option glued to the car, I cannot transfer it to the next Tesla or sell it to somebody else.
Would buy if I could own it, now it is just an expensive option (and basic AP covers a lot already).

Subscription: yes if cheaper (a lot, like 15,-/month)
The closer you get to selling the car the more expensive buying gets.
On demand: would propably never use it (basic AP is fine on highways), maybe on holidays....

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Let’s see the numbers then!

There’s a breaking point where the market simply won’t bear the cost. Could they price it unattractively to attempt to spur buyers into buying FSD at point of sale? Absolutely, but it’d be a wasted opportunity.

You were very clearly shown the economics on page 1, and chose to click “disagree” after you read it, lol. That’s the funny thing about math, it doesn’t matter if you agree with it or not. It is what it is.

Like most people you come with an ask, but don’t provide your own. Show us your numbers? Average car length isn’t 72 months btw. But again, this is the fantasy thread, so please feel free to continue making up stuff that supports your stance.

It is an option glued to the car, I cannot transfer it to the next Tesla or sell it to somebody else.
Would buy if I could own it, now it is just an expensive option (and basic AP covers a lot already).

On demand: would propably never use it (basic AP is fine on highways), maybe on holidays....

As stated previously, Elon doesn’t want your petty $15/month. He’ll nicely tell you to go kick rocks. One person buying FSD equals 31 of you: (Alert: Here comes that pesky math)

$15 times 3 months/year=$45/yr
$45 times 5 years=$225
$7k divided by $225 = 31

You aren’t the target audience for this feature. Just enjoy your basic EV. You can still brag to your friends/family about saving the environment and keep it moving.

Wow. Elitism much? Look. I got duped into FSD hype too.

If later buyers can get it cheaper than I did, that’s okay. If it’s more expensive but they started with a more advanced product then that’s okay too. Being an early adopter has its costs, if you have any questions about that ask any 2012/3 Model S or early build Model X buyer. Their confidence and purchase made your Model 3 possible.

If later buyers can get it cheaper than I did, that’s okay. If it’s more expensive but they started with a more advanced product then that’s okay too. Being an early adopter has its costs, if you have any questions about that ask any 2012/3 Model S or early build Model X buyer. Their confidence and purchase made your Model 3 possible.

Yea, not interested in stories. I asked for numbers (as you did), hopefully based on reality, and you provided none.

Sorry you FEEL duped. I don’t.

I hate it when marketers call large expenses that don't potential to make money "investments".
That what made my wife buy our timeshare ;)

It Tesla's case it only makes sense if the robotaxi model works for you. (not for me but my buddy reserved 3 cybertrucks!)

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller

I agree. I thank them for their support. This thread will turn into FSD full-price buyers complaining the price should stay high. I complained too about my $2K Sony 55 inch projection TV that I couldn't give away just 6 years later..

I hate it when marketers call large expenses that don't potential to make money "investments".
That what made my wife buy our timeshare ;)

It Tesla's case it only makes sense if the robotaxi model works for you. (not for me but my buddy reserved 3 cybertrucks!)

The return on investment doesn't always have to be monetary. Someone elderly or partially disabled looking for a driver aid in the city could see it as a godsend. I'm not either, but really do look forward to using that capability, so to me it's worth it.

Reactions: mrbulk
The return on investment doesn't always have to be monetary. Someone elderly or partially disabled looking for a driver aid in the city could see it as a godsend. I'm not either, but really do look forward to using that capability, so to me it's worth it.

fair enough non monetary ROI. I do like your practical necessity ROI example.

That isn't going to happen. They've already said it is going to cost more than rolling FSD into your loan/lease. (Which isn't interest free.)

If you roll FSD into your 36 month lease its $95/month (for a LR AWD), and $120/month is more than this.

Buying FSD is $7K, and after 72 months you can probably get at least $2K when selling the car.
72 months @ $120 per month puts it a $8640

So $120/month is more expensive than either leasing or buying for 72 months. There is also the danger that FSD will go up in price, and could go up substantially if it offers something truly useful like ACTUAL self park that isn't painfully slow. So a true in the blue believer in FSD is going to want to buy it rather than face the possibility of the subscription getting more expensive as it's capable of more stuff.

I believe FSD subscription pricing will reflect the true reality of what FSD is capable of the time. In its current form it simply doesn't offer enough functionality to justify even $120/month. But, the subscription model likely won't be introduced until its capable of more.

It could easily be in the $300 range if, and only if FSD is a lot more capable.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
If Tesla wants to build brand loyalty, I say they charge $10k for FSD completely separate from car purchase, and let it travel with any Tesla you purchase. Tesla could require you to trade in your previous car as well. Return customers is key to long term success. Every car I buy from here on out should be a Tesla. I’d be much more likely if I got FSD transferred instead of buying over and over. I’d likely keep my one car longer and not upgrade as often.