Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There goes the margin. Or as Elon put it "Well, we have to make money..."

I'd think being able to transfer FSD would improve new vehicle sales (like the Asker who was waiting to upgrade), plus it would feed the used market with something "more affordable." It sounds like to me that FSD has it's own internal profit center like they did years ago with Tesla Service. If so, seems like it's shooting itself in the foot.

There goes the margin. Or as Elon put it "Well, we have to make money..."

I'd think being able to transfer FSD would improve new vehicle sales (like the Asker who was waiting to upgrade), plus it would feed the used market with something "more affordable." It sounds like to me that FSD has it's own internal profit center like they did years ago with Tesla Service. If so, seems like it's shooting itself in the foot.
I think that the FSD license should reside with the individual, not the car. So that if you have a license, any Tesla so equipped would allow you to use it. But then again, I don't as yet own a Tesla, only a fair amount of TSLA.

I think that the FSD license should reside with the individual, not the car. So that if you have a license, any Tesla so equipped would allow you to use it. But then again, I don't as yet own a Tesla, only a fair amount of TSLA.
So if you have 4 drivers in your household you need 4 FSD licenses for one vehicle?

And if you die the license is gone?

Reactions: SOULPEDL
And who says you can't will it to someone?
That would be unsustainable, eventually there would be enough licenses around that Tesla would never sell another one.

If you have 4 drivers I would hope you have more than 1 Tesla.
Why would you be a 100% Tesla household. Maybe you have a van and a subcompact as well as a Tesla. Even if you have 3 Teslas and 4 drivers, you want to pay for 4 licenses?

Really, it just makes more sense to pay $99/month per vehicle. No expensive license to lose with the death of a person or vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skipdd
That would be unsustainable, eventually there would be enough licenses around that Tesla would never sell another one.

Why would you be a 100% Tesla household. Maybe you have a van and a subcompact as well as a Tesla. Even if you have 3 Teslas and 4 drivers, you want to pay for 4 licenses?

Really, it just makes more sense to pay $99/month per vehicle. No expensive license to lose with the death of a person or vehicle.
Whatever makes sense for you mate. Being single, I'd rather have FSD capability on any Tesla I drive, be it a 3, CT, or a rental... or the next one I buy.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
It seems like FSD transfer is becoming a regular thing, but they are only going to run it for limited durations 2-3 time per year.

I guess the question will become: can you transfer FSD a second or third time? My guess is no. By the time people like me, who took advantage of it a few months ago, want to do it again in a few years, FSD (and related gimmicks) might actually be quite useful versus what it is right now.

It seems like FSD transfer is becoming a regular thing, but they are only going to run it for limited durations 2-3 time per year.

I guess the question will become: can you transfer FSD a second or third time? My guess is no. By the time people like me, who took advantage of it a few months ago, want to do it again in a few years, FSD (and related gimmicks) might actually be quite useful versus what it is right now.

I cannot find a current T&Cs for FSD Transfer, but you can see the old page on archive.org here: Full Self-Driving Capability Transfers | Tesla Support

Q: Can I transfer FSD capability multiple times?
A: No. You can only transfer FSD capability once from your current vehicle to a new vehicle delivered between July 20, 2023 and September 30, 2023. The FSD capability will then stay with the new vehicle.

Q: If I sell my new vehicle, will the FSD capability stay with it?
A: Yes. Once you transfer your FSD capability, it will stay with the new vehicle. If you sell the new vehicle, the FSD capability will stay with the vehicle and be available to the new vehicle owner.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
They can offer different terms at different times--- free unlimited supercharging used to stay with the car from one owner to another, for years (and still does for those oldest cars)-- and then it didn't for new buyers after a certain point.... IIRC they even allowed transfer of this (but it removed the "life of car" bit) at one point.

I expect we'll keep seeing at least some form of FSD transfer on a semi-regular basis at least until Tesla gets beyond L2 and esp. as long as there remain folks on the "old" (pre march 2019) FSD that promised them a lot more than the current product does.