Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yet you keep declaring your utter confidence in it without the slightest bit of evidence, and while dismissing all the significant evidence against.

I have of course- you just choose to dismiss those many reasons.

Last public post from him on this was end of 2022- and has data from after the 15k price was set. You also appear to have skipped entirely over the period it was 12k (which was from January 2022).

The data shows the take rate didn't move significantly as the price kept increasing from 10k to 12k to finally 15k.

Why do you keep insisting you are "quite sure" of things you have literally no evidence for- and what evidence does exist says otherwise?
I'm quite sure because I understand basic economics.

getting ready to sell our 2022 model X PLAID (white, 6 seat, cream interior) - sounds crazy and getting a new model X LR (7 seat, cream interior) with ultra red , transfer FSD from old model 3 (paid only $3000 for FSD). then sell the model 3 as well. with all these price cuts, holding on to older tesla doesn't make sense.

I really want HW4 and FSD. by 2024, this could be very valuable to have - not $$$$, but for life and driving.

getting ready to sell our 2022 model X PLAID (white, 6 seat, cream interior) - sounds crazy and getting a new model X LR (7 seat, cream interior) with ultra red , transfer FSD from old model 3 (paid only $3000 for FSD). then sell the model 3 as well. with all these price cuts, holding on to older tesla doesn't make sense.

I really want HW4 and FSD. by 2024, this could be very valuable to have - not $$$$, but for life and driving.
technically, you probably didn’t pay only 3K for FSD, one had to have EAP or the paid minimum AP to get FSD for some reduced amount… so overall it was probably 5K for EAP and some point and then 3K for FSD add on… yes, less than the 10K or 15K now for FSD. I guess it’s on the ”old Model 3” you’re talking about, so yes it was mostly likely an EAP 5K purchase plus 3K FSD at some opportune time purchase - 8K overall.

Moi, most likely I wouldn’t do THIS upgrade just for current limited HW4 upgrades, vs. a 2022 Model X PLAID but money no object why not.```````

Did anyone go through with the transfer yet? Although my SA "promises" me the transfer will not get locked to a VIN until you accept the delivery I'm still very concerned to get this transfer started and then loose the FSD completely if I reject the new car on delivery for a different one. Especially because the new one is a MSP, which I'll inspect very closely.

Did anyone go through with the transfer yet? Although my SA "promises" me the transfer will not get locked to a VIN until you accept the delivery I'm still very concerned to get this transfer started and then loose the FSD completely if I reject the new car on delivery for a different one. Especially because the new one is a MSP, which I'll inspect very closely.

Dirty Tesla is the only person online I've seen do it. The way it works, you place an order for a new car with FSD, and then it's removed from your current car, and then they discount the price of FSD off of the new car. So they're not really transferring it from one VIN to another. They're removing it from your current vehicle in exchange for a $15,000 discount off a new vehicle with FSD.

Dirty Tesla is the only person online I've seen do it. The way it works, you place an order for a new car with FSD, and then it's removed from your current car, and then they discount the price of FSD off of the new car. So they're not really transferring it from one VIN to another. They're removing it from your current vehicle in exchange for a $15,000 discount off a new vehicle with FSD.

Yup-- which is especially worth noting the distinction given pre 3/19 buyers are giving up a promise of L4 to take the current FSD product never promised to be more than L2.

I completed pickup of my new X with fsd xfer on jul 28th. The day after I picked up my X, I got an update that bumped the car upto 2023.20.9. This is the same version my 2020 x is on. But fsd has been turned off on the old x and i only have AP. On my new car (being wrapped right now so in shop) it doesnt have fsd features yet like summon and the autopilot settings has verbiage to the effect 'fsd will be added at a later release '. Dont know if this is becuase hw4 and lack of training data on it. But looks like I am on the fsd build. Also specs screen on my old x doesnt say fsd capability and on my new Xs specs says 'fsd capability'. Fwiw, build quality on my new x is awesome. this is by far the most luxurious tesla i have taken delivery of and i have 4 of them sitting in my driveway/garage right now.

Screenshot_20230806-063323~2.png
Screenshot_20230806-064421~2.png
Screenshot_20230804-193912.png

Its technically not incorrect. You can do it either way. I did it as stated above and it worked fine. The problem doing it initially is that if you apply for financing via the app, the bank will finance the entire amount (including fsd).
1. some people might not qualify
2. your down payment/ terms might be diff
3. you might need to wait after the purchase for tesla to refund the 15k which could be a while

if steps in thw tweet r followed, the financing will be just for the car (as intended)

• Helpful
Reactions: Hiline and JoRoMo
Interesting, good to know. Yeah I had multiple Tesla employees confirm to me that in the case I reject the delivery tomorrow I will get a new VIN assigned and the FSD will transfer to the new VIN. I was just cautious as the FSD transfer form had specifically my old and new VIN for the transfer stated. I ordered it with FSD and it is still reflected in the total in the app. Will not proceed with payment until this is removed, SA told me that is usually done on day of delivery. Fingers crossed the build quality is as good on my new MSP as your X!

Reactions: cheqsgravity
I hope so too. the build quality on these s/x have improved quite bit with my reference being sep 2020. i also called the number (in the tweet, about 5-10 min wait) and the sales rep forwarded my request to a mgr to expedite the fsd being dropped. They must have the charge removal process down by now, one would think. They made it more complicated than needed to be. I guess to make sure its a one time event. gl

Reactions: stefanre
I bought a Tesla in 2019 and suffered through the betas without being able to fully make use of the FSD, which is still true.

Bought another Tesla in early 2023, without FSD, and of course wanted to transfer the FSD but could not.
And when trading in the 2019 Tesla with FSD to Tesla there was certainly no consideration for FSD which is a non-depreciating asset.

Selling the car and expecting to get the FSD Value also does not work out.

We were going on a Trip in the 2023 and decided to pay for FSD for the >6,000 mile trip. Paid for one month but not FSD until after we got home and it was only 4 days left. So I again paid for a promise from Tesla and got no value.

Sure seems like FSD should stay with the Driver and not be associated to a single car.

Full self driving as it is being handled with Tesla is a farce and my biggest complaint with Tesla.
And with no way to even ask or discuss with Tesla about these issues, I may not be able to purchase another Tesla.

Reactions: 2Pearls
Many will keep the older vehicle for another family member. Again, this group is the richest (and most fanboy) subset of Tesla owners.
That is us, although I don't consider myself being a fanboy. It's just that we want a second car and the wife is tired of waiting for the Cadillac Lyriq luxury model which may never come, so she wants the Y and I would transfer the FSD from my older 2017 X. Just makes a lot of economic sense to use and we say $20k over buying the Lyriq she wants.

Reactions: Buckminster