Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW

FSD ONE TIME AMNESTY transfer. Take advantage of in Q3, or it never happens again.

HUGE sales incentive. Much better than cutting prices or "advertising".

Tesla pulling a huge lever to get more sales in Q3

Expect to see more used Teslas for sale in Q4

I am super optimistic that the FSD transfer amnesty will be a nice driver of sales this quarter. Personally, I'm going to trade in my 2020 Y and go back to an S.

My question is if you can hold onto your old car ( give to a kid) and transfer fsd to a new one. Seems it should be possible.
Good Q. However, if I were to xfer my "old" (pre-heat pump, pre-boosted range, pre-other improvements) 2018 dual-motor Model 3 to my daughter in LA, just to get a new refreshed HW4 Highland Model 3 (wha, no promise I'd get that?), why wouldn't I want her to have FSD in a free inter-family transfer, especially for the safety reasons it provides? It's more valuable to me to give her safer/free "hand-me-down" FSD than to buy a new model with me keeping FSD and having her (or I) pay 15K (or the subscription rate) for the old car again.

FSD remains £6800 in UK. FSD margin bump will be limited to US mostly.

US bump should mostly be in Q3:
  • Those with FSD will more likely buy a high end vehicle. Assume $6k average of which $3k is margin. Maybe half of buyers in Q3 being transfers so $1.5k across all US Q3 sales. 160k*$1.5k=$240m
  • ~20% of old vehicles will buy FSD at $15k. So half of 160k sales is 80k. 20% = 16k. 16k*$15k=$240m to bottom line
  • ~$0.5m extra profit total
@petit_bateau ?

Last edited:
Doesn’t work.

My FSD model 3 is instantly worth 15k more in used market for Q3 by this logic. I appreciate the upgrade path. I wonder if Carvana is sitting on a lot of FSD used stock. Windfall for them.

Of course, if this offer only applied to original owners, then it would be clearer.
The value mostly comes from people sitting on FSD in cars they want to upgrade. Used stock with FSD benefits will be minor.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The value mostly comes from people sitting on FSD in cars they want to upgrade. Used stock with FSD benefits will be minor.

Maybe not 15K, but I think it will affect the used market. It'll be interesting to watch the next few months!

But I have enhanced autopilot. I don't think Tesla will do anything about that. However, I'm thinking of tweeting him and saying "Hey Elon, why not give seniors of modest means a discount on full self driving. You do want to save the lives, right?"

Perhaps, only a few (maybe 15%) of used cars probably have full FSD. Seems like a no-brainer to do the flip like Whole Mars Catalogue suggests to get FSD at a huge discount if the used market gives it away. Why would a used car dealer give that away? Maybe, but would be foolish as I see it.

Going to be interesting for sure.

Reactions: Buckminster
Perhaps, only a few (maybe 15%) of used cars probably have full FSD. Seems like a no-brainer to do the flip like Whole Mars Catalogue suggests to get FSD at a huge discount if the used market gives it away. Why would a used car dealer give that away? Maybe, but would be foolish as I see it.

Going to be interesting for sure.
I think this will be a net zero on my calcs:
FSD remains £6800 in UK. FSD margin bump will be limited to US mostly.

US bump should mostly be in Q3:
  • Those with FSD will more likely buy a high end vehicle. Assume $6k average of which $3k is margin. Maybe half of buyers in Q3 being transfers so $1.5k across all US Q3 sales. 160k*$1.5k=$240m
  • ~20% of old vehicles will buy FSD at $15k. So half of 160k sales is 80k. 20% = 16k. 16k*$15k=$240m to bottom line
  • ~$0.5m extra profit total
@petit_bateau ?
Fewer will replace with a new car but more overall will replace their vehicle. More replacements means more will get FSD for $15k although they will likely be q4 onwards.

I ran a quick trade in query on the Tesla site for my 2018 LR M3, says price “includes the value of FSD” but doesn’t quantify it at all. Frankly, when looking at the used prices on Teslas website, with or without FSD historically at least had nearly $0 in additional cost/value. I’d shift to an even non HW4 2023 LR M3 for ~ 20K all in, but that assumes they credit the ~ 28K they quoted for the trade in.

Reactions: Buckminster
Wake up. Do you think Tesla are stupid?
To get the transfer you have to trade in your old Tesla to Tesla. They give notoriously lowball price for this so you lose money to begin with, they get a cheap Tesla they sell on above value to people who want the assuring of a oem used warranty AND then you’ve added to their new car sales.

This will only be beneficial to those with cars that are low low value and old and people haven’t sunk lots into them recently.