Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Price reduced from $5K to $3K in MyTesla Page for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt this was planned as a temporary cash grab given the abrupt change and reversal about closing stores. But it grabbed my cash for FSD on day 1 at 2k, which is 1k cheaper than it would have been for me at delivery.

Can't wait for traffic and sign recognition. Even Audis can recognize speed limit signs, so it doesn't strike me as unrealistic to see this in a alpha/beta state in the next year or so.

Curious, has anybody sprung for the FSD since Musk tweeted that the price was going up on 3/18? It might be worth $2k just for the hardware upgrade.

I’m on the fence. Would be good to be able to use the $500 referral credit I have when I bought the car last year. I don’t see anyway to apply it online. Maybe also worthwhile to see what is announced at the Model Y event on the 14th.

I'm likely going to pull the trigger. After spending so much on the car, $2k is a small price to pay, and I avoid future remorse if the software actually works and Tesla jacks the price back up to $5k. I don't think they'll screw up and lower the price further...which I thought was a possibility a week ago.

I’m on the fence. Would be good to be able to use the $500 referral credit I have when I bought the car last year. I don’t see anyway to apply it online. Maybe also worthwhile to see what is announced at the Model Y event on the 14th.
Need to talk to Tesla support to see if they can apply the $500 credit towards the $2000 FSD upgrade cost.
Knowing that it would cost either $5000 or $7000 from next week makes me want to pull the trigger now.

I paid the £1,900 just for the hopeful option of getting v3 hardware. It’s doubful we’ll get FSD in the UK for many years but other bits are always welcome and hopefully the hardware will help along the way. Wouldn’t have paid the original £4,700 or £2,900 that it has been but was too tempted for this even if I get nothing for now.

Yeah, but it is still not clear due to the afore-mentioned MCU-2 issue. We know that there are some additional wiring and features that MCU-2 cars have that MCU-1 cars don't have (even if both are AP2). Like many, the concern (due to lack of clarity) will be if Tesla ultimately says that the cars that can be upgraded are AP2/MCU2 cars. Just like the AP2/MCU1 cars didn't get dashcam mode. The lack of clarity is....frustrating.

Reactions: ironwaffle
Yeah, but it is still not clear due to the afore-mentioned MCU-2 issue. We know that there are some additional wiring and features that MCU-2 cars have that MCU-1 cars don't have (even if both are AP2). Like many, the concern (due to lack of clarity) will be if Tesla ultimately says that the cars that can be upgraded are AP2/MCU2 cars. Just like the AP2/MCU1 cars didn't get dashcam mode. The lack of clarity is....frustrating.

You're creating lack of clarity where there is none. The MCU has nothing to do with autopilot. Don't confuse them and all of your frustration will go away.

Are you sure? I'm happy to be told I'm wrong, but my understanding is there are multiple camera feeds going into the MCU2 while the MCU1 only has one feed. If I'm wrong, happy to be told so...but this was my understanding as to why the Dashcam feature wasn't available to MCU1 cars -- there are physical connections between the MCU and autopilot hardware that are different based on MCU1 or 2. Anyone know for sure?

Are you sure? I'm happy to be told I'm wrong, but my understanding is there are multiple camera feeds going into the MCU2 while the MCU1 only has one feed. If I'm wrong, happy to be told so...but this was my understanding as to why the Dashcam feature wasn't available to MCU1 cars -- there are physical connections between the MCU and autopilot hardware that are different based on MCU1 or 2. Anyone know for sure?

MCU has nothing to do with AP

Dashcam availability requires AP 2.5 hardware, not MCU2.

Discover Software Version 9.0
"Dashcam is only available for Model S and Model X cars manufactured after August 2017, and all Model 3 cars."

MCU2 was not released until ~March 2018. Lots of AP2.5/MCU1 cars built between 8/2017 and 3/2018 have the dashcam feature.

Dashcam availability requires AP 2.5 hardware, not MCU2.

Discover Software Version 9.0
"Dashcam is only available for Model S and Model X cars manufactured after August 2017, and all Model 3 cars."

MCU2 was not released until ~March 2018. Lots of AP2.5/MCU1 cars built between 8/2017 and 3/2018 have the dashcam feature.

Great, there is hope for my HW2 S. Just gave Tesla the $2k, and let's see what happens.

Reactions: Zaxxon

Yeah. I have a 2017 S 75D 2.5, EAP with MCU 1. I’m skeptical about actual FSD but for me $2,000 is worth considering if it’s guaranteed HW 3, MCU 2 and any necessary hardware that will be needed for whatever “FSD” hits the market. Clarity would make this easier but it sure feels like gambling on a noted history of over-promising.

This isn’t meant to be whining, just trying to make an informed decision. I didn’t expect this price to last but hoped it might last long enough to have stronger indication of what this means in clearly written official language. Perhaps it’s out there and I haven’t found it yet. My auto insurance doesn’t protect me against this variety of whiplash. ;)

Reactions: Gt1948
Yeah. I have a 2017 S 75D 2.5, EAP with MCU 1. I’m skeptical about actual FSD but for me $2,000 is worth considering if it’s guaranteed HW 3, MCU 2 and any necessary hardware that will be needed for whatever “FSD” hits the market. Clarity would make this easier but it sure feels like gambling on a noted history of over-promising.

This isn’t meant to be whining, just trying to make an informed decision. I didn’t expect this price to last but hoped it might last long enough to have stronger indication of what this means in clearly written official language. Perhaps it’s out there and I haven’t found it yet. My auto insurance doesn’t protect me against this variety of whiplash. ;)

You won't get MCU2. It has nothing to do with AP.

• Helpful
Reactions: ironwaffle
You won't get MCU2. It has nothing to do with AP.

@ironwaffle @tonglaji

There is no guarantee HW3 gets AP2 owners dashcam because the feature may rely on AP 2.5’s color cameras in Tesla’s positioning. A HW3 computer swap will not upgrade the mostly black and white (and red) cameras (or the different radar) in AP2...
Thanks. This is good info. I’m on 2.5 so in my case I believe I’m in good shape for a 3.0 upgrade unless there are further developments between now and the current promised version and timeline of FSD.

Mildly disappointed about lack of upgrade to MCU 2 but neither surprised nor upset. Just glad to have a clearer picture.

• Helpful
Reactions: electronblue