Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD very far away due to regulations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this email it says $8k for FSD but not sure if Elon is including the price of EAP in it. Makes sense if he is.

l7gudezxzv621.jpg

He likely is... In September he offered the same thing plus free premium interior ($13000 total)
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I mean I certainly paid $8000 to have FSD, couldn't get it otherwise since you have to get EAP.

Stopping at signals and being able to turn is helpful :D

I can almost guarantee that those features will soon be part of EAP. maybe once HW3 comes out.

I mean...think about it - If a competitors EAP starts doing things related to signs and signals....then Tesla will refuse to be behind on the technical front. They will indeed release those features in their version in EAP since FSD "isn't close to release".

Its at that point that I would then have to think to myself....FSD? $8k?

Last edited:
The features of FSD aren't even out yet. How can we place a value on it?

Look....if EAP keeps getting better and better....there won't be very much difference between EAP and FSD.
Full self driving means the car will drive me door to door without driver intervention. Maybe FSD no longer means full self driving?
I'm a full self driving "feature" skeptic. I don't think Tesla will release stoplight and stop sign detection any time soon. Let's say your car stops at stop sign and a kid walking across the street falls down in front of the car? Does the driver have enough time to take over if the car doesn't see them? There are probably a million situations where the driver would not have the reaction time to take over the vehicle in a city environment.

I don't think Tesla could sell FSD for more than $8k.

If it was true level 5 FSD they could sell it for 20k. And not be able to keep up with demand.

Who cares about regulation?

All Tesla has to do is treat FSD identical to EAP -

That doesn't work... at all.

EAP doesn't require any legal regulation at all- the driver remains entirely responsible and the "active" driver 100% of the time.

The whole point of FSD is to offer higher than L2 driving- meaning at least part of the time (all of the time for L5) no active driver is required. Very different ballgame.

Hence why some states have already passed laws permitting higher than L2 driving, and also why Audi, without such laws being more widespread, isn't offering their L3 system in the US (but is elsewhere).

Reactions: Jivas
I can almost guarantee that those features will soon be part of EAP. maybe once HW3 comes out.

Given HW3 is for FSD, not EAP, directly per Elon you're 100% incorrect.... (which is why FSD buyers get HW3 free, EAP owners don't)

Anything beyond what EAP does now is FSD by Teslas own definitions.

EAP will continue to get better at the things it already does, but it is feature complete other than summon getting a bit more advanced.

Full self driving means the car will drive me door to door without driver intervention. Maybe FSD no longer means full self driving?
I'm a full self driving "feature" skeptic. I don't think Tesla will release stoplight and stop sign detection any time soon. Let's say your car stops at stop sign and a kid walking across the street falls down in front of the car? Does the driver have enough time to take over if the car doesn't see them? There are probably a million situations where the driver would not have the reaction time to take over the vehicle in a city environment.
A kid falling over crossing the street wouldn't be a problem. With V9, the Model 3 can already detect people.