Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD vs standard features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to order MY P needed some guidance
Shall I order full self-driving capability or the standard features are good enough?
What is the delivery time it says July to sept is this true ?

Many people mistakenly assume that just because they pay an additional $12,000 the FSD skills should be more competent than the included Autopilot.

If a particular sharp curve that has not been logged and solved in Autopilot, by paying more for FSD, that particular curve would still be the same challenge.

Autopilot can collide with obstacles, by paying more for FSD, that collision problem is still there.

Paying more would get you more features such as summons. That's nice but once I used it I stopped using it because it's risky. Paying more would get you Auto Park but I only used it several times and quit using it any more: Too slow and risky. Paying more would automatically change lanes for you with no need for your decisions but once I used it I stopped turning it on because its lane decisions could be very crazy...

In summary, FSD can be fun if you are a born beta tester.

Upvote 0
@shakeel There are reports that if you order FSD with your car you'll get prioritized delivery to get your car quicker. Standard AP code is over two years old now and most, if not all, development work has been focused on FSD with a wider release to everyone later this year.

If you are on the fence, I would recommend just getting your car and then subscribe to FSD for a few months to compare standard AP to FSD.

Upvote 0
@shakeel There are reports that if you order FSD with your car you'll get prioritized delivery to get your car quicker. Standard AP code is over two years old now and most, if not all, development work has been focused on FSD with a wider release to everyone later this year.

If you are on the fence, I would recommend just getting your car and then subscribe to FSD for a few months to compare standard AP to FSD.
That is a myth at this point, I added FSD to test this out and my EDD is still over a month away and has jumped around.

Upvote 0
Many people mistakenly assume that just because they pay an additional $12,000 the FSD skills should be more competent than the included Autopilot.

If a particular sharp curve that has not been logged and solved in Autopilot, by paying more for FSD, that particular curve would still be the same challenge.

Autopilot can collide with obstacles, by paying more for FSD, that collision problem is still there.

Paying more would get you more features such as summons. That's nice but once I used it I stopped using it because it's risky. Paying more would get you Auto Park but I only used it several times and quit using it any more: Too slow and risky. Paying more would automatically change lanes for you with no need for your decisions but once I used it I stopped turning it on because its lane decisions could be very crazy...

In summary, FSD can be fun if you are a born beta tester.
All of this. I have FSD beta on my Model 3 LR AWD and there’s a roundabout by my house that’s been there for almost a year but is still unknown to FSD. My car cannot navigate this at all and actually freaks out.

I wish regular Ap supported green light notifications and lane changes with signals on the highway. I have 0 desire to use FSD on regular roads around me due to all of the roundabouts it fails on.

Upvote 0
All of this. I have FSD beta on my Model 3 LR AWD and there’s a roundabout by my house that’s been there for almost a year but is still unknown to FSD. My car cannot navigate this at all and actually freaks out.

I wish regular Ap supported green light notifications and lane changes with signals on the highway. I have 0 desire to use FSD on regular roads around me due to all of the roundabouts it fails on.
Roundabouts work fine by me and FSD has steadily improved since using the beta last year.

Reactions: preilly44
Upvote 0
Roundabouts work fine by me and FSD has steadily improved since using the beta last year.

This is a typical roundabout on the north side of Indianapolis. We have more roundabouts up there than anywhere else on earth I think. And they add more all of the time.

4AEBD557-4A9E-4767-8C04-3E92D6AC7CF5.jpeg

Upvote 0
Adding FSD to our MYP order did not affect delivery. In fact on 5/7 our EDD was pushed from 5/7-6/4 out to 5/30-6/27.

With that said we added FSD for the future functionality, a few additional features now, and the value (price likely to increase later this year).

The standard AP works well also. Many folks don’t see the value in FSD at this point. As additional features are released the monthly sub will most certainly increase as well.

Reactions: preilly44
Upvote 0
I am planning to order MY P needed some guidance
Shall I order full self-driving capability or the standard features are good enough?
What is the delivery time it says July to sept is this true ?
Do you like being on edge and ready to grab the wheel at a moments notice to save your car from crashing then FSD.

If you don't mind switching lanes yourself, parking yourself, reengaging autopilot after you've done the tedious task of exiting an offramp then save the $12k. Even if FSD is amazing and can go out and make money for you ever night while you sleep. Do you want to get in to a car that just picked up the bar crowd the night before? Maybe when it's certified for Level 5 I'll buy a second one to make money but we're only at level 2.

Me personally I have zero interest. Autopilot is great for traffic jams and works great for stretches of road on a trip. All you have to do is exit and then reengage autopilot not really a big deal so you have to take over for 100'. I'll pass on the stress the entire time I drive in town. You are responsible for anything FSD does wrong.

The good thing is you don't have to listen to anyone here Just subscribe to it for a month and see if you like it. Or even just subscribe to it when you take trips. It doesn't follow you and if your car is destroyed in a crash week 2 you lose that money anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0