Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR Acceleration Boost Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Test drove a 2023 MYP for a couple of days and loved the powertrain and the car overall, but found the ride to be too uncomfortable on broken pavement. So I ordered a MYLR with the 19's that should improve the ride comfort at the expense of some handling and braking. I also need the ride height of the standard Y for snow duty in the mountains, so a performance car on gemini's won't work for me either. I plan to immediately buy the "acceleration boost" feature when it arrives to narrow the gap between the LR and P in acceleration. Do I have any reason to be concerned I won't be able to buy that feature after the car arrives in june/july? Tesla doesn't have an option to spec the car that way when ordered, so I have to wait to receive it and then add the feature. I read that "acceleration boost" not available for the standard range Y with 4680 cells, but no indication it won't be available on a new LR. Thoughts?

I considered that option because the P is faster, has better brakes, better headlights, etc. A lot for only $4k. However, I need the ride height of the standard car for snow and fireroads. I am not willing to modify the suspension of the P to raise the ride height and risk warranty coverage.

I considered that option because the P is faster, has better brakes, better headlights, etc. A lot for only $4k. However, I need the ride height of the standard car for snow and fireroads. I am not willing to modify the suspension of the P to raise the ride height and risk warranty coverage.
It's only about 2/3rd of an inch difference in ground clearance.

I don't think you have anything to worry about if you are buying a MYLR. Acceleration Boost has been a thing since the beginning of the MYLR (I think). I don't see any reason Tesla would remove the option. Just takes one click and you can even cancel it within 24 hrs (or is it 48hrs?) if you don't think it is worth it.
Appreciate the feedback, sounds like I'm good. It's a great deal for tesla, $2k and it cost them essentially nothing to apply it to my car.

I believe the only problem you will have is deciding if you really need performance boost. Don't assume that the slowest Tesla is a slow car.

If the height of the undercarriage is a big deal then you really may be wanting to think twice. Take a look at the underbody of the Model Y, it's a big piece of plastic and I suspect can quickly become a sled on deep snow.

Reactions: beewang
I followed exactly your logic - MYP is a great looking/performing package but the ride is fatiguing over anything but the smoothest road. I figure I need extra performance once a week (month?) but I need a comfortable ride every day. I bought MYLR and added AB to split the difference - comfortable ride and “sufficient” performance. To be honest the acceleration boost is “so sufficient” (to put it mildly) that I am 100% happy with this combo - the acceleration differences versus the MYP are minimal at this point (see bottom table below).

Note that while the Inductions aren’t cheap, the MYP tires and Uberturbines are extra vulnerable to potholes and $500+ each to replace. Our Uber driver in LA with a MYP said he has gone through 2 new tires in 5 months due to potholes.
IMG_0122.jpeg

Last edited:
I myself also have a MYLR+AB. I considered the MYP (for me the downsides are that the rims that literally stick out from the tire, pothole concerns with small sidewalls and you cannot rotate the tires for such a small again in performance), but also have been looking at the M3P. Since I have another MYLR in the household, the storage loss going from the MYP to the M3P isn't that big of a loss to me. I'm just not sure how "comfortable" the M3P will be.

Last edited:
I myself also have a MYLR+AB. I considered the MYP (downsides are that the rims that literally stick out from the tire, and you cannot rotate the tires for such a small again in performance), but also have been looking at the M3P. Since I have another MYLR in the household, the storage loss going from the MYP to the M3P isn't that big of a loss to me. I'm just not sure how "comfortable" the M3P will be.
Go do a demo drive and take it on the worst pavement you encounter. My experience with demo drive was simple, straightforward and didn't waste any of my time with salesman shenanigans.

Absolutely Test drive both the MYLR and the MYP. The ride quality of each is a very subjective, to some is terrible and to others (myself included) the MYP ride quality is perfectly fine. This is something you definitely need to judge for your self.

Hey everybody, newbie here. Waiting on MYLR delivery late June.
Question: How do you purchase the acceleration boost? Is it somewhere in the App? I cant find anything about it, but maybe I have to have my VIN/car first? Also, how much does the boost cost? Thanks

Thanks for this great thread. I've been to the Tesla website to compare the MYP and MYLR. I have an MYLR on order and am thinking about changing it to MYP. My question is, are the motors on the MYP the same or bigger than the MYLR? I.e. - if I'm not concerned about the stiffer MYP suspension and I swap to 19 wheels, do I get the 330 mile estimated range? I know that the 19" wheels have a lot less unsprung mass than the 21" wheels which likely contributes to the reduced range to 303 for the MYP. Or does the MYP have bigger motors that also contribute to the lower 303 range? Thanks in advance.