Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fuel vs Electric comparison calculator, to justify benefits of BEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for tools or web sites to calculate cost savings of BEV over fuel based autos.

Goal to show financial savings of BEV over time vs the higher cost for a BEV.

Maintenance costs over time also welcome, but not as important.

Thanks

It depends on what you are really looking for, but this should be a good start

Unfortunately, its useless for what I looking for.
This graph shows the cumulative cost of ownership by year for each vehicle, including fuel, tires, maintenance, registration, license, insurance, and loan payment. The tool assumes a five-year loan with a 10% down payment. Year one on the graph represents the 10 percent down payment plus the first year's total operating costs. For more information on this graph and other calculations

I only want instantaneous costs, and I do not see option to turn off those other features.

This page only good when buying a new car, on loan.

I have never purchased a car on load, always up front, in full, in cash. Getting a Tesla may be first time I ever get a car loan.

I also question the maintenance costs in that web site, almost as much as a gas car.

Last edited:
You mean this (fill in your numbers)?

ICE: $3 per gallon / 25 MPG = $0.12 per mile
EV: 250 Wh/Mile / 1,000 * $0.10 (cost per Kilowatt) = $0.025 per mile

Yes, well, a monthly and yearly, could also include maintenance costs.
I can make a spreadsheet, but the energy costs values would be tricky to find.

Basically cost of operation Fuel vs BEV

Where can I find the Wh consumption of common BEV?

Last edited:
We generate our own electricity with solar. That skews the numbers because I can't produce my own gasoline (maybe Texans can). Our only maintenance costs, other than tires, after 110K miles in our Jan 2018 Model 3 were for HVAC vent cleaning and control arm replacement at 107K miles. The cost was about $1K.
YMMV

Reactions: nwdiver
Wonder if anyone have a 20 years car ownership projection. Does $20k battery pack replacement make it even out the game? No aftermarket, or recycled battery packs. Tesla fanboys will not allow it. Only Tesla service will do. Hehehe.

I have seen many Toyota that doesn't cost anything other than basic maintenance.