Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Charge Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from a long road trip where I charged to 100% (RWD LR). Normally for everyday driving, I plug in at night and only charge up to the second indent. When the car was new, a full charge resulted in 310 miles of range. Now, nearly a year and 10,000 miles later it would only get to 304. Am I wrong in thinking that is low considering I'm on 2019.20 and 2019.16 was supposed to increase the range to 325?

I noted it for my upcoming service appointment but the estimate says that they plan to just do "customer education" in lieu of any actual diagnostic.

I just got back from a long road trip where I charged to 100% (RWD LR). Normally for everyday driving, I plug in at night and only charge up to the second indent. When the car was new, a full charge resulted in 310 miles of range. Now, nearly a year and 10,000 miles later it would only get to 304. Am I wrong in thinking that is low considering I'm on 2019.20 and 2019.16 was supposed to increase the range to 325?

I noted it for my upcoming service appointment but the estimate says that they plan to just do "customer education" in lieu of any actual diagnostic.
Mine goes to 320-322 after a year. Have you taken it down to 10-20 miles lately and then back up?

As long as it doesn’t continue at that rate lol. I guess 80% capacity left at 100,000 miles would be “okay” but I would hope for better retention than that.

Unless you're abusing the battery, we won't see degradation too severe. My old three year old Samsung S7 phone has settled at 60% of it's OEM spec after two years of use intense use and bad charging habits.

So worse case scenario, the Model 3 settles at 60% of 310 = 180miles at full charge. Still a great urban commuter car.

But I highly doubt this would happen with the BMS managing charge rate and optimizing temperatures. The car would fall apart before the battery degrades this far.

F6EEB1AF-E41E-4576-A9D5-43C23D2AF5B5.png
DE6522A7-CF52-4DCF-8818-B55EC8E82503.jpeg
I've never taken it down that low. I thought I read in the manual that you don't need to cycle the battery on the M3 because it was software controlled and took care of it automatically?
I don’t think any of this reflects real battery health or capacity. Some of it is leveling across the cells, the rest is magic.

I just did a 1650mile trip where I had several cycles that went down very low and then back up. The displayed range bumped back up but I think it was because the cells got leveled out.

Right now it’s showing 319 but you can see the trend is around 322. You can see the update and bump from 310 to 325 and then it settled to about 320.

Is the battery warranty at least 75% at 120000 miles?
OP will have 76% at 120000 miles at this pace.

It's not actually degradation, just the BMS is not calibrated correctly. I'm assuming OP charges every day.

I had the same issue, 100% was around 303 for my LR RWD too. I don't drive much and charge it up everyday. I had to just stop charging until I was about 15% then charge back up to 90% a couple of times and it slowly started to re-calibrate and my max range started going back up to normal again.

I never hit the 325 though.