Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Charge Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The battery has to be charged to roughly >90% for balancing to happen. Balancing is a very slow process that uses bleed resistors to equalize the voltage. There’s a thread somewhere on TMC with details based on Tesla documents. If you charge to less than the voltage threshold needed to balance, then it’s possible to temporarily lose some range. This is different than BMS calibration, which is an estimated mapping between voltage and range.

My 2019 Long range AWD on a full charge shows 294 miles, why is it low what can I do better?

I always keep it plugged at how with wall charger and on a daily basis set the charge limit at 80%
Some of the drop could be degradation, some could be cell imbalance, some could be BMS drift. Problem is, we don't know how much of each. Can't do anything about real degradation. Cell imbalance can be addressed by charging at 90% SOC, for a while. BMS drift can be recalibrated by running the battery low, and then charging high. BMS drift though, is just a calculation error, so not true degradation. Lots of people set the display to SOC %age, and don't worry about it too much.

I just got back from a long road trip where I charged to 100% (RWD LR). Normally for everyday driving, I plug in at night and only charge up to the second indent. When the car was new, a full charge resulted in 310 miles of range. Now, nearly a year and 10,000 miles later it would only get to 304. Am I wrong in thinking that is low considering I'm on 2019.20 and 2019.16 was supposed to increase the range to 325?

I noted it for my upcoming service appointment but the estimate says that they plan to just do "customer education" in lieu of any actual diagnostic.

2% range loss is great. It’s going to lose range. It’s a battery.