Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving, Model 3, 2020 only.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many. See this table for reference:
Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia
Auto lane change, NoA, auto park, summon, smart summon, traffic light recognition.
The thing is that many of us here still have the old Enhanced Autopilot, which includes everything that Tesla now calls "FSD". They essentially just moved the goal posts by redefining what's Autopilot and what's FSD. So far they haven't added a single thing in FSD that EAP doesn't already do. One possible exception are the new visualizations, but this is somewhat ambiguous since they only work on HW3 and there are no cars with HW3 that have EAP but not FSD (since EAP had been discontinued by the time they started building new cars with HW3, and older non-FSD cars don't get the HW3 upgrade).

Reactions: BLKTSLA
The thing is that many of us here still have the old Enhanced Autopilot, which includes everything that Tesla now calls "FSD". They essentially just moved the goal posts by redefining what's Autopilot and what's FSD. So far they haven't added a single thing in FSD that EAP doesn't already do. One possible exception are the new visualizations, but this is somewhat ambiguous since they only work on HW3 and there are no cars with HW3 that have EAP but not FSD (since EAP had been discontinued by the time they started building new cars with HW3, and older non-FSD cars don't get the HW3 upgrade).

enhanced autopilot wont have everything that Tesla now calls "FSD" - See chart. or am I reading it wrong?

Attachments

• xKyNWS5.gif
    xKyNWS5.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 70
I disagree that table is a list of Tesla features as they correspond to the packages they sell (Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, "FSD"). I still stand by my statement there are no production FSD features out on general release. The term "self-driving" by definition means little to no human intervention required. When people talk "Full Self-driving" that implies no human intervention required. Not one of the features you listed requires "no human intervention" to operate. Even Smart Summon which would be the first production "driverless" feature requires a human to hold a button down to operate it. Tesla is being very careful with its wording and rollout of these features but all of them require human intervention.

Auto Lane Change - Requires human to either; use the turn signal stalk to initiate, use the AP stalk to confirm, or provide wheel torque to confirm a lane change (Speed based lane changes).

Navigate on AP - Requires a human to have their hands on the wheel to provide wheel torque. Also requires you to engage and disengage once on the off/on ramps.

Auto Park - Requires a human to scan for the spot by driving past it.

Summon/Smart Summon - Requires a human to hold a button (Smart Summon -Come to me). Regular summon only goes forward and backward so more like rolling than full self-driving.

Traffic Light Recognition - The car does not obey the lights or signs just sees them and warns if you are going to run the light, so no functionality here.

When Tesla releases City NoA and does not require wheel torque then City+highway NOA = FSD. Input navigation destination and sit back and let the car take you there from you house to the highway to the destination. Eagerly awaiting but we are not there yet.
The topic is about whether to order the FSD upgrade. The assertion that the FSD upgrade doesn't give you any features is completely false.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrayZ1
The topic is about whether to order the FSD upgrade. The assertion that the FSD upgrade doesn't give you any features is completely false.

@DanCar are you a mod here? The topic as the title states is whether people have regrets about purchasing the FSD package, to which I have already replied.

The comment that you summarized poorly is in response to the comment/assertion that there are functioning Full Self-Driving features in production to which the answer is unquestionably No there are not. I never asserted that the FSD Package "doesn't give you any features" I said there are no functional FSD features that moves the car in a fully autonomous manner. If you think that statement is false please feel free to link or post your own video of a production build running a FSD feature that requires no human intervention, ill wait...

Like I said, money is no object. The car it's replacing had:

Steering wheel shaker when there's a collision risk or seat shaker.
HUD warning when there's a collision risk.
Instrument panel warning of a collision risk.
Bigger side mirrors with collision warning lights.

The Teslas have at best one of those features unless you order FSD.

Note: It is possible that hand's free driving will be enabled in under 3 years. Pressure from other automakers is coming. Cadillac already sells a hand's free car. There is no guarantee that an FSD upgrade will be $7k when it's available.

None of those change with FSD, unless there is something I don't know about. The car just reacts on your behalf.... IMO collision warning does almost nothing - by the time you can react to a warning the car gives you, it is probably already too late if you didn't see it with your eyes.

Even if money was no object for me and I had millions sitting in the bank - I still wouldn't spend money on items that are highly expensive and yield minimal results.

Tesla should have picked a different name than Full Self Driving, but that's what they call it.

Damn you're going to spawn never ending comments about the name. The reason it's called that is because that's what it's going to be when it's finished so the name is accurate to what it will be. So it makes sense especially with the current features having beta attached to the name. If one is building a house one may still call it a house even though it isn't built yet.

Damn you're going to spawn never ending comments about the name. The reason it's called that is because that's what it's going to be when it's finished so the name is accurate to what it will be. So it makes sense especially with the current features having beta attached to the name. If one is building a house one may still call it a house even though it isn't built yet.

lol its really simple, Ford had copyrights on Co-Pilot so Elon went with Autopilot. Probably not the best alternate but thats what he went with :confused:

Forgive my ignorance, but doesn’t the car over-ride and emergency brake to avoid collision or hitting a pedestrian like in back up cross collision avoidance. My Honda and many other makes do. I know it alerts you, but if you don’t respond, I expected it start acting. I am sure that if it does not, near future updates will match that of other auto makers.

Also, I think the real value of FSD is going to be very individualized. I like to think ahead and I know I will want to have that tech when it is fully available and likely the next owner. So even though it is not hear yet, I am ready for it and hopefully the cost now is less than adding it later. At least having that option already added should make it have a higher resale value.

Reactions: CrayZ1

They have been calling it FSD since 2016. IIRC, those cars can never be FSD anymore than a Supercharger™ increases the manifold boost. Porsche is the worse, calling their Taycan's "Turbo".

It's an observation, not a complaint. I would have called it something else more descriptive. Analogy, I don't call sperm a teenager. :D

Reactions: DanCar
I wonder if anyone has ever bought FSD thinking the features we're final. I imagine they would be pretty angry about it. It's their own fault of course. But, just wondering.

Web forums have greatly improved things for buyers. But there is still a surprising amount of people who don't know about this valuable resource. I do feel for those who ordered FSD when it was first available, since they were guinea pigs. I pray there isn't a HW4 level required for future features.

I wonder if anyone has ever bought FSD thinking the features we're final. I imagine they would be pretty angry about it. It's their own fault of course. But, just wondering.
Maybe you haven't followed this long enough. But I don't think believing the promises of the CEO (including faked demo videos etc.) is people's own fault. Hindsight is always 20/20, but 2-3 years ago plenty of people believed that Tesla's full autonomous driving was just around the corner, pending only "final verification and regulatory approval".

They have been calling it FSD since 2016. ... I would have called it something else more descriptive.
Possible names that would have been better:
  1. Elon wishing big
  2. Don't stop believing
  3. Tesla kool-aid
  4. Elon thinks neural networks will solve driverless problem
  5. Elon: I'm going to work this to death until it is solved
  6. Elon will power and billions will do great things, we hope
  7. Can't be that hard
So many more, but won't bore you