Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full SuperCharging Station on the EAST coast - sign of things to come?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OBX John

Autonomous Driving Enthusiast
I've not been to that many superchargers, but during our current road trip I was surprised to see the Richmond VA SC full while driving up to visit friends in Alexandria:

full

With the Model 3 coming out, I sure hope all those additional supercharger locations are added soon!

One more reason to make our second Tesla the 100D I guess so we can just skip them unlike in my 60.

Reactions: Ulmo
I used the Edison, NJ SC last Saturday and it was full and someone waiting. I had to wait about 15-20 minutes--- thankfully the guy before me let me go ahead him as I was from out of state. He said he was local and not in a hurry.

I guess the further north I go, the more full superchargers to expect. I've barely seen one other Tesla at the Raleigh, Rocky Mount, and Plymouth SCs in NC.

I used the Edison, NJ SC last Saturday and it was full and someone waiting. I had to wait about 15-20 minutes--- thankfully the guy before me let me go ahead him as I was from out of state. He said he was local and not in a hurry.
Why was a local guy using the SC? This would be less of a problem if people used SC's for their designed purpose instead of exploiting Teslas generosity.

Supechargers were never intended to be replacements for L1/L2 charging at home (or work). If one doesn't have access to L1/L2 charging then they shouldn't buy an electric car until they do.

This is not unique to Tesla. In the long run when the inevitable happens and all new cars are electric, public charging will only be when you are on extended trips away from home. It just has to work that way until the time to charge is technologically enabled to be much faster than it is today.

-Jim

Why was a local guy using the SC? This would be less of a problem if people used SC's for their designed purpose instead of exploiting Teslas generosity.
there are many threads addressing your concerns, do a search and you can join in on the "fun"

it would be a shame if this thread becomes a pissing contest like the other ones

Somewhat, but not looking to debate or solve that problem. I'm more interested in with all the coming Model 3s, will Tesla have to expand it's network more quickly than they've planned.
To stick with that subject, I noticed that Tesla only added 15 new US locations this past quarter (much fewer than the pace they were creating them last year). Others here mentioned that installations normally slow in the first quarter (winter?) but with only 10 currently under construction I'm anticipating some crowding.

Especially if some millionaire gets kicked out of the house by his wife and he has to use one for his local charging. ;)

To stick with that subject, I noticed that Tesla only added 15 new US locations this past quarter (much fewer than the pace they were creating them last year). Others here mentioned that installations normally slow in the first quarter (winter?) but with only 10 currently under construction I'm anticipating some crowding.

Especially if some millionaire gets kicked out of the house by his wife and he has to use one for his local charging. ;)

Yes, I'm keeping my eye on the Charlottesville Supercharger especially, as we go to the mountains often, and would need enough charge for a trip in and back since charging options in the Blue Ridge are few and far between. I don't understand the location they've chosen though, should be much closer to 64. I wish they'd put one in Staunton Va.

Overall I'm just thinking that the SCs need to be expanded aggressively, perhaps more so than current plans allow for.

Supechargers were never intended to be replacements for L1/L2 charging at home (or work). If one doesn't have access to L1/L2 charging then they shouldn't buy an electric car until they do.

This is not unique to Tesla. In the long run when the inevitable happens and all new cars are electric, public charging will only be when you are on extended trips away from home. It just has to work that way until the time to charge is technologically enabled to be much faster than it is today.

-Jim

this is an arrogant american attitude. In many countries having a car garage or so much as a parking spot in front of your house is considered a luxury. Not to mention that a significant amount of people live in flats/condos/apartments.

this is an arrogant american attitude. In many countries having a car garage or so much as a parking spot in front of your house is considered a luxury. Not to mention that a significant amount of people live in flats/condos/apartments.
It has nothing to do with arrogance, or access to a garage, or even parking near your house. I'm a firm believer in all parking spots having access to at least level 1 charging. Most parking locations have lighting via street lights so the electrical infrastructure is there it just needs to be extended in most cases.

I am able to charge at work and have no need to charge while at home at all. I could live in a 1 bedroom flat on the 18th floor of the cheapest apartment building in town and it wouldn't matter.

Not to futher disrupt this thread, but if you don't have access to charging outside of the supercharger network then it probably doesn't make sense to but a Tesla.

To this thread: The SC network is a huge differentiator for the Model 3 in comparison with Bolt / Leaf2 / anything else. If that "advantage" turns into frustration because of congestion, it could really backfire on Tesla.

I think a good plan would be to try and expand the existing locations first. Double / triple the number of stalls and then eliminate the slower charge rates with shared stalls. That would immediately help.

-Jim

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
I think that the comment was far from arrogant. here in the US outside of the dense urban areas the majority of residences have either garages or a dedicated parking space. what is the norm in some parts of the world really isn't relevant to what people who reside in the US are accustomed to.

Reactions: Ulmo and kingjamez