Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Towing Video & Range examination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The real kicker here is air drag. That's the largest part in energy consumption at 60 mph even with a very aerodynamic car. With a huge boat in a trailer, you are seeing serious air drag and that's what causing the higher energy consumption.

This is what I'm expecting (but haven't experienced - Model X will be the first vehicle I use to tow stuff with), so I don't have any experience. I'm REALLY curious to see wh/mile numbers with smaller and more aerodynamic loads.

Yeah, the drag is a huge effect. Anyone have a comparison of the drag from a boat vs. the drag from a somewhat streamlined trailer that's 10' long?

Peter+

With that much weight, rolling friction is probably going to be more of a factor than aero drag. I've got a lightweight teardrop/popup camper in mind for my MS, later this year. No more tent camping ;)

I like how the Model X's energy consumption cruising with the trailer is almost as high as my EV motor's peak output :(

Really cool video though, I was really interested to see it in action. Considering how much gas some people use for city towing, this is still huge. I can just imagine every contractor, landscaper, handyman, etc. out there who's probably towing a ton of things, but isn't going more than maybe 70-100 miles a day at most (more available if stops/chargers are available). Combine it with a business lease and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the MX become extremely popular with businesses--prius-like fuel costs with towing capabilities.

If you have a similar size/weight boat as Max's, and you drive 150 miles one way to put it in the water, and you don't have 1 or 2 superchargers along the way, then this isn't going to work for you. And might not work even with the superchargers (navigating the boat into the parking lot of the supercharger, unhooking somewhere convenient to go charge, and then returning and reconnecting, sounds like a pain in the rear to me - especially in a smaller parking lot). But that's me.

Granted not all experiences apply in all situations, but I think your response to towing a boat to points sans superchargers is a little moot. My experiences would involve either going to a lake north of Amarillo (Lake Meredith) or to a lake in the Dallas area. Either way easily within reach of MaxK's estimated milage while towing (65 miles) starting out from the respective city. I don't think anyone should be surprised by the limited towing range, sans some miracle Tesla could have pulled out of their derriere unless it were a pond prowler or canoe. Writing simple Matlab code (like I did in undergrad for an automotive course) would have predicted the energy usage, gas or electric powered while towing.

I think the model X will be great for what most people would use it for. A day trip to the lake (usually within 50 miles) unload the boat, park the X at a 50 amp RV spot, and then charge while you ski on the lake. Great for day trips or simple weekend camping. If you were expecting cross country trips while towing, then I'd say it'd be a little unfair to place that on Tesla.

Clearly what we need is a Tesla compatible trailer, that includes 30kWh+ battery in it. Get a whole line of them, some that you can use as a range extender, and then different trailers for different items. Tesla would have to be a part of the deal, of course, so that you can somehow connect and share the charge back to the car, as well as provide the batteries for the trailer...

This sort of dashes any hope of road tripping across the country with a camper trailer.

That depends. Someone showed up at the Black Hills Tesla rally last year towing a lightweight, aerodynamic camper trailer with their Model S. I can't find a reference at the moment, but they reported that the towing penalty was quite manageable and allowed for going Supercharger to Supercharger.

I like how the Model X's energy consumption cruising with the trailer is almost as high as my EV motor's peak output :(

Really cool video though, I was really interested to see it in action. Considering how much gas some people use for city towing, this is still huge. I can just imagine every contractor, landscaper, handyman, etc. out there who's probably towing a ton of things, but isn't going more than maybe 70-100 miles a day at most (more available if stops/chargers are available). Combine it with a business lease and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the MX become extremely popular with businesses--prius-like fuel costs with towing capabilities.

That is my dream. I do small landscaping. Just 40ish bi-weekly. I dream of getting big enough to get an X to use but I don't realistically see it happening anytime soon. Just did a rough weight calculation yesterday and got 3,500 lbs(probably 4000 as I dont know the real weight of trailer) for trailer and gear. Just a 14' x 5' dual axle open utility trailer. I get 13mpg now.

If anyone local would like to pull it around for a test feel free to pm me. My schedule is pretty flexible. But I have to ride with you unless you leave equal cash replacement of $20k.

No Autopark with a trailer connected?? That's it - I'm out! ;)
They are saving that feature for a software update... ;-) And they haven't announced it yet, but the robotic snake concept will be extended so it can unhitch the trailer... when you get home, the X will let you get out, and then will auto park the trailer, disconnect, and then park itself in the garage.

I see CmdrThor and I think alike... he beat me to it.

Last edited:
That depends. Someone showed up at the Black Hills Tesla rally last year towing a lightweight, aerodynamic camper trailer with their Model S. I can't find a reference at the moment, but they reported that the towing penalty was quite manageable and allowed for going Supercharger to Supercharger.
I also remember reading about a user at the official TM forums towing a very small boat (dingy I think) down the east coast using the Torklift Eco Hitch. He even posted pictures. This was in an S of course.

I don't see this work out for me to tow my boat (too heavy), so I'm thinking I can skip the tow package- save $750, but can I add it after if I decide that I'd like to tow?

No.

IMHO, anybody who is not a racer or a bare bones money saver (doesn't get any options at all) should get the tow package because it not only is worth it for resale value but also might be useful to those who are mentally capable of driving a vehicle towing a trailer "just in case". For you, since you already know how, there could be that odd ball trip with lighter trailers that make sense that could quickly whittle down that $750 investment over the years and then there's resale value.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I agree. But it is even more important for Tesla to get experience in towing for when they come out with a pickup truck or work van. The towing package on those work trucks will be more mature than if they started with those vehicles.

IMHO, anybody who is not a racer or a bare bones money saver (doesn't get any options at all) should get the tow package because it not only is worth it for resale value but also might be useful to those who are mentally capable of driving a vehicle towing a trailer "just in case".

I think that the towing package is the one thing that really puts the "U" in this [C,S]UV

Hello, it looks like the hitch receiver completely separates from the X when not needed. Meaning that there is no hitch receiver showing from the back of the SUV at all times. Is this true? If so, I'm in on the towing package. I initially thought no because the receiver was unsightly but it is completely removable, then that's a different story. Thanks

Hello, it looks like the hitch receiver completely separates from the X when not needed. Meaning that there is no hitch receiver showing from the back of the SUV at all times. Is this true? If so, I'm in on the towing package. I initially thought no because the receiver was unsightly but it is completely removable, then that's a different story. Thanks

Yes. It's removable and there's a cover plate that completes the diffuser plate when the tow receiver is not in use